Georgetown Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

What seems be your hardest class?

Ks
5%
Civ Pro
35%
Torts
10%
Con Law
5%
Crim
No votes
LRW
10%
I'm in §3...
35%

Total votes: 20

LULU0909

New

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Post by LULU0909 » Fri May 23, 2014 8:00 am

awoodard wrote:Just got my Gewirz email! Still have to find a roommate though and it seems the process with RoomSync is kinda awkward and dating-site like. Still, I appreciate them giving us a resource to find roommates. Good luck to everyone who wanted Gewirz!
Anyone has any idea what would happen if we aren't successfully matched through the roomsync thing? Will they just randomly assign roommates?

awoodard

New

Post by awoodard » Fri May 23, 2014 12:42 pm

LULU0909 wrote:
awoodard wrote:Just got my Gewirz email! Still have to find a roommate though and it seems the process with RoomSync is kinda awkward and dating-site like. Still, I appreciate them giving us a resource to find roommates. Good luck to everyone who wanted Gewirz!
Anyone has any idea what would happen if we aren't successfully matched through the roomsync thing? Will they just randomly assign roommates?
Not a clue. It also seems they are closed until Tuesday for the holiday weekend, and the deadline is just 10 days away...yikes

CJ2017

New

Post by CJ2017 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:46 pm

Has anyone received a passcode from Housing to select Gewirz on the RoomSync thing? If you have, what was the code?

schmooky

New

Post by schmooky » Fri May 23, 2014 2:29 pm

Last edited by schmooky on Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samblackbones

New

Post by samblackbones » Sun May 25, 2014 2:32 am

Well I think I am going to opt out of Gewirz.
So far the best walking distance off campus housing options I can see are:
AVA H street
360 H Street
Mass Court
Senate Square
Anyone care to weigh in on where they are thinking, and if there will be a few other GTown 1L's at any of these places?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BSA

New

Post by BSA » Sun May 25, 2014 4:08 pm

Hey Sam -

We checked out all of those buildings and ended up at 77H, which we're excited about. It far exceeded everything else we looked at, especially the size and finishes of the apts. and it was competitively priced. It's brand new and the building and amenities are great. It is literally a three minute walk from campus. Because they're brand new and working to fill their units, we were able to sign a lease on the spot (end of March), with an incentive, and we're not moving until mid-June. I can't recommend the building enough. According to the staff, it is filling up quickly with GULC students.

Senate Square and 360 H are next to each other. We weren't thrilled with the location - they're also on H street, but further away from campus than 77H and in the midst of a part of H street that is still being developed. There are a lot of restaurant options nearby and it's up and coming, but still looks/seems a bit dilapidated (and we didn't find the buildings/apartments/staff as nice as 77H).

Mass Court was decent and is probably closest to campus other than 77H (in a different direction). The apartments were standard, very dorm-like...hip hop was playing in the lobby and there was a lot of action (mostly students) in the common areas. The staff was nice and it was reasonably priced.

We checked out every building within walking distance of campus, so I'm happy to answer any questions or share our photos, observations, etc.

samblackbones

New

Post by samblackbones » Sun May 25, 2014 5:20 pm

Thanks BSA!
I talked with a leasing person at 77h today and thats what I am going with. Pretty stoked. I don't know what it is about stainless steel appliances but something about them get me pumped up. The three minute walk and knowing that there will be a few rising 1ls there makes me happy.
On a separate note, I can't find the link for the Federal Loan access interview which is irritating me. Does anyone have guidance as to where to find the entrance interview on the studentloans.gov website?

BSA

New

Post by BSA » Sun May 25, 2014 10:02 pm

Fantastic, congrats! I think we're all going to enjoy living there.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue May 27, 2014 9:37 am

Living in Friendship Heights like an old

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Tue May 27, 2014 1:27 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Living in Friendship Heights like an old
Hey, same here if my app goes through. In my case I actually am (somewhat) old, so it makes perfect sense. Won't lie: pretty stoked to have an actual yard and man-cave basement as part of the house.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Tue May 27, 2014 6:37 pm

Glasseyes wrote:
Hey, same here if my app goes through. In my case I actually am (somewhat) old, so it makes perfect sense. Won't lie: pretty stoked to have an actual yard and man-cave basement as part of the house.
That's my plan for 2/3L, I just want to be able to walk to class and not worry about the metro for 1L.

That being said, I'll be commuting down from Baltimore for the first month :shock:

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Tue May 27, 2014 7:12 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:
That's my plan for 2/3L, I just want to be able to walk to class and not worry about the metro for 1L.

That being said, I'll be commuting down from Baltimore for the first month :shock:
Yowch! I did that drive yesterday and it wasn't horrible, but i don't want to see it at rush hour on a non-holiday :-(

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Tue May 27, 2014 8:02 pm

I'm going to do the train, so it's not too bad. Not something I'd want to do day in, day out for a whole year, but worth it to not pay double rent for a month.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed May 28, 2014 7:01 am

BmoreOrLess wrote:I'm going to do the train, so it's not too bad. Not something I'd want to do day in, day out for a whole year, but worth it to not pay double rent for a month.
Yeah, the train wouldn't be awful. At least you can just tune out and read/listen to music. I'd hate to drive that daily though. DC traffic is no joke.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed May 28, 2014 10:23 am

By the way, anyone get an email account set up yet?

cactusflower

Bronze

Post by cactusflower » Wed May 28, 2014 10:30 am

[delete]
Last edited by cactusflower on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Wed May 28, 2014 11:48 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:By the way, anyone get an email account set up yet?
I really hope we can change it from netid @law.georgetown.edu. Having bml7@law will be pretty annoying.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Wed May 28, 2014 11:56 am

BmoreOrLess wrote:
I really hope we can change it from netid@law.georgetown.edu. Having bml7@law will be pretty annoying.
So much this! Seems very odd for emails.

PSA: Don't for get that the second deposit deadline is quickly approaching, all!

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Wed May 28, 2014 1:27 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:
I really hope we can change it from netid@law.georgetown.edu. Having bml7@law will be pretty annoying.
So much this! Seems very odd for emails.

PSA: Don't for get that the second deposit deadline is quickly approaching, all!
Pro-tip: If you're asking for scholarship increases it's a good idea to make em sweat up until the deadline. They'll be more apt to bite if you genuinely look like you might attend somewhere else.

But yeah, don't miss the deposit deadline in the end!

nicholasavallone

New

Post by nicholasavallone » Wed May 28, 2014 5:48 pm

Anybody know if we submitted the scholarship intent to enroll form if we have to send something else for the second deposit deadline?

schmooky

New

Post by schmooky » Wed May 28, 2014 6:23 pm

Last edited by schmooky on Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BoyOhBoyle

New

Post by BoyOhBoyle » Wed May 28, 2014 6:52 pm

nicholasavallone wrote:Anybody know if we submitted the scholarship intent to enroll form if we have to send something else for the second deposit deadline?
You should be good to go. As far as I understand, it waives both deposits. If you log on to your status checker, it should say "deposits fulfilled". I would call the admissions office if it doesn't.

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Wed May 28, 2014 7:26 pm

BoyOhBoyle wrote:
nicholasavallone wrote:Anybody know if we submitted the scholarship intent to enroll form if we have to send something else for the second deposit deadline?
You should be good to go. As far as I understand, it waives both deposits. If you log on to your status checker, it should say "deposits fulfilled". I would call the admissions office if it doesn't.
Hm, I never thought to look there. Does this mean I don't have to send neither the second deposit, nor the optional form that I will WD from all my current pending applications?

schmooky

New

Post by schmooky » Wed May 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Last edited by schmooky on Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoyOhBoyle

New

Post by BoyOhBoyle » Wed May 28, 2014 8:28 pm

schmooky wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:
BoyOhBoyle wrote:
Hm, I never thought to look there. Does this mean I don't have to send neither the second deposit, nor the optional form that I will WD from all my current pending applications?

I think the deposits are only waived if you received need based aid over a certain amount...
Oops my bad. My scholarship letter included a waived deposit (might have been because my need-based aid was over a certain amount, though I can't be sure because it was all rolled into one) - I thought that was what Nicholas was referring to. To be sure, I'd probably just call admissions. You don't want to think you are good to go, then find out too late that you aren't! Sorry for any confusion :oops:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”