Georgetown Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

What seems be your hardest class?

Ks
5%
Civ Pro
35%
Torts
10%
Con Law
5%
Crim
No votes
LRW
10%
I'm in §3...
35%

Total votes: 20

lawschool22

Gold

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Post by lawschool22 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:39 am

BoyOhBoyle wrote:Does anyone know when we should be hearing about scholarships? Better yet, has anyone received a scholarship offer so far? I have been accepted, and I would LOVE to go to Georgetown (it's my top choice) but there is no way I can justify going at sticker with the cost of living being what it is in DC.

Thanks!
Well you can start doing FAFSA and need access now. Then in mid February the "blue (maybe yellow, I can't remember) form" is available to fill out. Once you fill that out and submit (you must also do FAFSA and need access first) they expect to give you a decision within 2-3 weeks. So I think the earliest based on that timeline would be late Feb / early March.

kraffcook

New

Post by kraffcook » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:48 pm

BoyOhBoyle wrote:Does anyone know when we should be hearing about scholarships? Better yet, has anyone received a scholarship offer so far? I have been accepted, and I would LOVE to go to Georgetown (it's my top choice) but there is no way I can justify going at sticker with the cost of living being what it is in DC.

Thanks!
Last year, GULC sent out e-mails in early February informing admitted students that they were being considered for scholarships and asking for a short response asking how much you want and why. It was a really odd system, but I'm assuming they're continuing it this year. Some people got additional e-mails from them, but most people got scholarship information in March. Merit scholarships are not nearly as common as need-based, although need is usually taken into account when looking at merit awards too. When I applied, I informed GULC how much I was being offered by another school and they gave me a combination of need and merit aid to exceed that school's award and basically put me in a position where I had no reason not to come here (and I'm glad I did).

BoyOhBoyle

New

Post by BoyOhBoyle » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:39 pm

kraffcook wrote:

Thanks!
Last year, GULC sent out e-mails in early February informing admitted students that they were being considered for scholarships and asking for a short response asking how much you want and why. It was a really odd system, but I'm assuming they're continuing it this year. Some people got additional e-mails from them, but most people got scholarship information in March. Merit scholarships are not nearly as common as need-based, although need is usually taken into account when looking at merit awards too. When I applied, I informed GULC how much I was being offered by another school and they gave me a combination of need and merit aid to exceed that school's award and basically put me in a position where I had no reason not to come here (and I'm glad I did).
That does seem like a very strange way of doing things! Thanks so much for the info; I guess I will just have to try to be patient 8)

Ambi-Turner

Bronze

Post by Ambi-Turner » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:24 am

Checking in! Looking forward to meeting you guys at ASW next week :)

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:10 pm

To everyone who had their last complete early this week and were admitted, I've finally been able to log in to the admitted students site.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:15 pm

How does applying for a spot in Curriculum B work? This will have a slight impact on my decision to attend.

Ambi-Turner

Bronze

Post by Ambi-Turner » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:18 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:How does applying for a spot in Curriculum B work? This will have a slight impact on my decision to attend.
When I talked to admissions about this, they said that pretty much everyone who wants Curriculum B gets it.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:24 pm

Ambi-Turner wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:How does applying for a spot in Curriculum B work? This will have a slight impact on my decision to attend.
When I talked to admissions about this, they said that pretty much everyone who wants Curriculum B gets it.
But will we know it going into it, ie before enrolling?

Ambi-Turner

Bronze

Post by Ambi-Turner » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:35 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
Ambi-Turner wrote:
I don't think so. The admissions officer I talked to said, "Later in the cycle once most students have sent in their deposits, students have the option to elect into Curriculum B...There are cases every few years where there are more students who sign up then there are seats available, but in general most people who sign up for Curriculum B are able to enjoy that curriculum."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:36 pm

Ambi-Turner wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
Ambi-Turner wrote:
I don't think so. The admissions officer I talked to said, "Later in the cycle once most students have sent in their deposits, students have the option to elect into Curriculum B...There are cases every few years where there are more students who sign up then there are seats available, but in general most people who sign up for Curriculum B are able to enjoy that curriculum."
Ok. Thanks for the info

Ambi-Turner

Bronze

Post by Ambi-Turner » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:45 pm

I don't think so. The admissions officer I talked to said, "Later in the cycle once most students have sent in their deposits, students have the option to elect into Curriculum B...There are cases every few years where there are more students who sign up then there are seats available, but in general most people who sign up for Curriculum B are able to enjoy that curriculum."[/quote]

Ok. Thanks for the info[/quote]
No problem

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:54 pm

Looking forward to meeting you all at ASW. I go to GW and live in DC, so if anyone needs any advice on local places, let me know. I'd love to meet up and go out somewhere Thursday night- Chinatown isn't too far from GULC.

snapdragon25

Bronze

Post by snapdragon25 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:15 pm

snapdragon25 wrote:Anyone up for a TLS meet-up Wednesday night??
Boooo I'm not getting in until Thursday now, so if you guys end up doing something Wednesday night then have fun!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GeneralFile(s)

New

Post by GeneralFile(s) » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:59 pm

Hello everybody. I believe that my Georgetown acceptance letter came in the mail on Friday and was accidentally tossed by my downstairs neighbors in a huge pile of junk mail. I am able to log in to the admitted students website with a personalized message with my first name, so I am pretty sure I am in. I am wondering if anyone has received any scholarship information in their acceptance letters or any other substantive information, or they are sending out 100% boilerplate acceptances. Thanks.

UserNameHere

Bronze

Post by UserNameHere » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:14 pm

GeneralFile(s) wrote:Hello everybody. I believe that my Georgetown acceptance letter came in the mail on Friday and was accidentally tossed by my downstairs neighbors in a huge pile of junk mail. I am able to log in to the admitted students website with a personalized message with my first name, so I am pretty sure I am in. I am wondering if anyone has received any scholarship information in their acceptance letters or any other substantive information, or they are sending out 100% boilerplate acceptances. Thanks.
Nope. Or at least I didn't. It's a very small and unimposing envelope on letter-sized(?) paper. Reminded me a bit of an invitation to The Masters, if anybody gets the golf reference there.

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:18 pm

Silly question- what does one wear to an admitted students weekend? Casual clothes- business casual- suit and tie? Sorry for being a n00b.

Michigan1442

New

Post by Michigan1442 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:26 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:Silly question- what does one wear to an admitted students weekend? Casual clothes- business casual- suit and tie? Sorry for being a n00b.
This is actually a good question, I have no idea either. I was planning on wearing casual clothes...like nicer jeans and a shirt or sweater..hopefully that is acceptable!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:31 pm

Michigan1442 wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:Silly question- what does one wear to an admitted students weekend? Casual clothes- business casual- suit and tie? Sorry for being a n00b.
This is actually a good question, I have no idea either. I was planning on wearing casual clothes...like nicer jeans and a shirt or sweater..hopefully that is acceptable!
This is what I was thinking of doing as well. Are you doing the Supreme Court docent lecture/visit? Is jeans and a nice shirt acceptable attire for that? I'm not entirely sure how formal this event is....

Ambi-Turner

Bronze

Post by Ambi-Turner » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:34 pm

Michigan1442 wrote:
I was going to ask this question too. On Thursday, I'll be coming straight from work, so I'll be going with business casual. Frankly, I think you can't go wrong with that...I doubt too many people will be wearing suits, and if most people are dressed casually, it'll be easier to blend in. But I subscribe to the "You can never be overdressed" school of thought, so take that with a grain of salt.

Michigan1442

New

Post by Michigan1442 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:37 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:
Michigan1442 wrote:
This is what I was thinking of doing as well. Are you doing the Supreme Court docent lecture/visit? Is jeans and a nice shirt acceptable attire for that? I'm not entirely sure how formal this event is....
Yes I am going to the Supreme Court visit..I was just going to wear jeans to that too. I think if they expected us to dress up for it they would have told us

UserNameHere

Bronze

Post by UserNameHere » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Ambi-Turner wrote:
Michigan1442 wrote:
I was going to ask this question too. On Thursday, I'll be coming straight from work, so I'll be going with business casual. Frankly, I think you can't go wrong with that...I doubt too many people will be wearing suits, and if most people are dressed casually, it'll be easier to blend in. But I subscribe to the "You can never be overdressed" school of thought, so take that with a grain of salt.
I have "a lunch" earlier in the day so I'll be business formal. Don't make fun of me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Ambi-Turner wrote:
Michigan1442 wrote:
Coming from work too- alright, business casual it is.

ZipWhenSheMoves

Bronze

Post by ZipWhenSheMoves » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:57 am

Michigan1442 wrote:
This will be me too. See you all on Friday (though of course we probably won't know who's who ;) )

kraffcook

New

Post by kraffcook » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:31 am

mylifeis24 wrote:
Ambi-Turner wrote:
Michigan1442 wrote:
It's all casual, just dress warm. We always end up with a wide range of people wearing everything from gym shorts to full business suits, mainly because no one knows what they should wear. Seriously though, anything is good as long as you're dressed

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:54 am

kraffcook wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:
Michigan1442 wrote:
It's all casual, just dress warm. We always end up with a wide range of people wearing everything from gym shorts to full business suits, mainly because no one knows what they should wear. Seriously though, anything is good as long as you're dressed
In that case, I'll be wearing my birthday suit....kidding....but only because it's freezing outside.
Last edited by mylifeis24 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”