Georgetown Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

What seems be your hardest class?

Ks
5%
Civ Pro
35%
Torts
10%
Con Law
5%
Crim
No votes
LRW
10%
I'm in §3...
35%

Total votes: 20

JustHawkin

Gold

Georgetown Class of 2017

Post by JustHawkin » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:42 pm

CONGRATS! YOU MADE IT! Good luck to all first semester!
Be sure to post your 1L nonsense in this thread:
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 8&t=234765

Big thanks to Snapdragon25 for being original OP!

Useful Links:
Applicants' Thread
C/O 2016 Thread
Admitted Student Website
MyAccess Login for Student Account and Financial Aid (LinkRemoved)
2014-2015 Academic Calendar
2013-2014 First Year Part Time Hand Book

Admitted Student Open Houses
January 23-24, 2014
March 27-28, 2014

Important Dates
March 15, 2014 - Financial aid application deadline I
May 1, 2014 - First tuition deposit due ($800); Dean's certification due; Final transcripts due
May 12, 2014 - Gewirz housing application due (with $150 application fee)
May 16, 2014 - Gewirz housing lottery day
June 1, 2014 - Financial aid application deadline II; Second tuition deposit due ($1200)
June 9, 2014 - Deadline for partial refund of second tuition deposit
July 28, 2014 - Fall tuition due
August 23, 2014 - Gewirz Move-In Day
August 25-29, 2014 - Orientation and Registration for first-year students
September 2, 2014 - Fall classes begin

Polls:
Last edited by JustHawkin on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 23 times in total.

mindarmed

Silver

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Post by mindarmed » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:34 pm

How did you receive decision? I've heard nothing thus far.

snapdragon25

Bronze

Post by snapdragon25 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:49 pm

mindarmed wrote:How did you receive decision? I've heard nothing thus far.
Mail. It seems like admits are by mail and waitlists/rejections will be by email.

TLSCLB

New

Post by TLSCLB » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:18 pm

I applied ED, so I'll be joining you as well. There is a small chance I'll defer, but most likely I'll see you in the fall. When you thinking of visiting?

snapdragon25

Bronze

Post by snapdragon25 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:00 pm

MoHendy wrote:I applied ED, so I'll be joining you as well. There is a small chance I'll defer, but most likely I'll see you in the fall. When you thinking of visiting?
Probably at the admitted students' open house in January, whenever that ends up being. My boyfriend would be moving out there with me, so we'll try to coordinate visiting DC with job interviews for him. The last time I visited DC I was 12, so I'm really getting anxious to go visit!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kraffcook

New

Post by kraffcook » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:24 am

Hey there, I'm glad someone made a thread for admitted students. I'm a 1L who would be happy to answer any questions. I'm actually a Student Ambassador, so whether you want to know about classes, classmates, grading, apartment hunting, fun things to do, whatever, I got you covered. More information will trickle in over the coming weeks and months, so don't feel like you need to figure everything out at once. Take your time, enjoy your last months of freedom, and make sure you make the right choice (i.e. Georgetown).

thestatusguo

Bronze

Post by thestatusguo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:44 pm

Found out I'm in today! Fast turnaround time, their office is clearly awesome!

linkx13

Bronze

Post by linkx13 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:41 pm

In. Also thinking of going in January. Congrats to all!!

felicianocalamity

New

Post by felicianocalamity » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:42 pm

I was admitted ED so I'll be with you guys next fall too! How did you hear about the admitted students' open house in January? Outside of the acceptance letter/sweet handwritten note from the dean about three weeks ago I haven't received any more information or communication.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snapdragon25

Bronze

Post by snapdragon25 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:09 am

felicianocalamity wrote:I was admitted ED so I'll be with you guys next fall too! How did you hear about the admitted students' open house in January? Outside of the acceptance letter/sweet handwritten note from the dean about three weeks ago I haven't received any more information or communication.
I don't have the letter with me right now, but IIRC it said there would be an open house in late January. I haven't gotten any other info yet either, but somewhere on TLS I found the schedule for last year's open house:
http://apps.law.georgetown.edu/admitted ... hedule.pdf

kraffcook

New

Post by kraffcook » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:41 pm

I attended the January Open House last year (and will be helping host you guys this year). It was fantastic; I was pretty much convinced I was coming to Gtown after that. It's two days, but you can sign up to crash with one of us Ambassadors, so you don't need to worry about a hotel. The actual activities are pretty standard, but the time makes it really flexible and you get a ton of time to hang out with other admitted students and current students. We're working out the details for this year now and should have a tentative schedule out next month. I highly recommend it

MidnightinParis

New

Post by MidnightinParis » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:37 pm

kraffcook wrote:Hey there, I'm glad someone made a thread for admitted students. I'm a 1L who would be happy to answer any questions. I'm actually a Student Ambassador, so whether you want to know about classes, classmates, grading, apartment hunting, fun things to do, whatever, I got you covered. More information will trickle in over the coming weeks and months, so don't feel like you need to figure everything out at once. Take your time, enjoy your last months of freedom, and make sure you make the right choice (i.e. Georgetown).
Received my acceptance letter today- excited! I have a couple questions. What has your favorite class been so far? Do you find the professors accessible? Do you live in the on campus housing, and if so, would you recommend that?

kraffcook

New

Post by kraffcook » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:36 am

MidnightinParis wrote:
kraffcook wrote:Hey there, I'm glad someone made a thread for admitted students. I'm a 1L who would be happy to answer any questions. I'm actually a Student Ambassador, so whether you want to know about classes, classmates, grading, apartment hunting, fun things to do, whatever, I got you covered. More information will trickle in over the coming weeks and months, so don't feel like you need to figure everything out at once. Take your time, enjoy your last months of freedom, and make sure you make the right choice (i.e. Georgetown).
Received my acceptance letter today- excited! I have a couple questions. What has your favorite class been so far? Do you find the professors accessible? Do you live in the on campus housing, and if so, would you recommend that?
Favorite class is mixed. Based on the material, I like contracts the most just because it involves all the type of sly, underhanded lawyerly stuff I find entertaining. As for the actual class itself, I like torts the best just because my professor is an amazing, hilarious woman. She sometimes has students act out famous cases and generally just treats the class in a fun manner. She also brings candy.

I've never heard of any problems with professors not being accessible. I have good relationships with all of my professors so far and never have an issue getting ahold of them for anything. I've actually been surprised by how nice and down to earth they all are. GULC is also really into pushing professors to be form closer relationships with their students, so the SBA actually pays for professors to throw parties and invite students over for dinner every semester. There's also things like "Take your professor to lunch Day" throughout the year.

About 1/3 of 1Ls live in Gewirz (the on-campus dorm). I don't live there, but most of my friends do, so I'm there a lot. It's nice because it's super convenient especially since it comes furnished and will all utilities. Also, you end up meeting a lot more people and actually have friends outside your section. I didn't live there because I hated the idea of being in law school 24/7 and never leaving. Also, the prices suck for what you're getting. It works out to around $1700 a month on average. I found a furnished english basement about a mile away for $1200 and I have way more space that the Gewirz people. Sometimes, when I'm walking home at 2am, I wish I lived in Gewirz, but so far I'm happy with my decision. I treat law school like a job. I go there, I get all my work done there, then I go home and relax.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MidnightinParis

New

Post by MidnightinParis » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:08 pm

Thanks! I would also love to hear more about the alternative 1L curriciulum B. Are you a participant or do you have friends who chose that route?

kraffcook

New

Post by kraffcook » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:28 pm

MidnightinParis wrote:Thanks! I would also love to hear more about the alternative 1L curriciulum B. Are you a participant or do you have friends who chose that route?
I'm not in it, but I have a ton of friends who are. The curriculum B section (section 3) is, in my opinion, the most social, fun, diverse group of students here. The principle behind it is that you learn the same legal doctrine as the rest of us, but you also look more at history and philosophy, understanding why the law is the way it is. It's a different perspective that generally attracts students interested in public interest and atypical career paths. That's not to say it isn't good for students that want to go typical Big Law or whatever; it's just not what it usually attracts. Everyone I know says they love it and the only downside is that they have 1 more class than the rest of the 1Ls and a bit more reading overall.
My reasoning for not doing it is that I just don't care about why the law is how it is. I just want to learn the rules and get out to start my career. If you're a deep thinker/academic type, section 3 is probably awesome. For me, I'll take the normal path.

leezabee

New

Post by leezabee » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:55 am

kraffcook wrote:I attended the January Open House last year (and will be helping host you guys this year). It was fantastic; I was pretty much convinced I was coming to Gtown after that. It's two days, but you can sign up to crash with one of us Ambassadors, so you don't need to worry about a hotel. The actual activities are pretty standard, but the time makes it really flexible and you get a ton of time to hang out with other admitted students and current students. We're working out the details for this year now and should have a tentative schedule out next month. I highly recommend it
Thanks for answering questions for us! Super excited about Georgetown- from your post, I take it we admits can expect to get more details about the next steps sometime in December?

InvalidUsername

New

Post by InvalidUsername » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:43 pm

Checking in - just got my letter the other day (ED) !

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kraffcook

New

Post by kraffcook » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:17 am

leezabee wrote:
kraffcook wrote:I attended the January Open House last year (and will be helping host you guys this year). It was fantastic; I was pretty much convinced I was coming to Gtown after that. It's two days, but you can sign up to crash with one of us Ambassadors, so you don't need to worry about a hotel. The actual activities are pretty standard, but the time makes it really flexible and you get a ton of time to hang out with other admitted students and current students. We're working out the details for this year now and should have a tentative schedule out next month. I highly recommend it
Thanks for answering questions for us! Super excited about Georgetown- from your post, I take it we admits can expect to get more details about the next steps sometime in December?
Yep, as soon as the Admitted Students site is ready, all the info will be available on there. I think for us, it was launched around New Year's. There will also be groups for Admitted Students on Facebook and Linkedin, as well as updates coming via other social media sites and a blog we'll have running soon too. Most of this is run by Student Ambassadors, so chances are it won't really get going until after we get through our exams and have some free time. For now, you should just relax and keep reading up on schools.

jannah77

New

Post by jannah77 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:32 pm

kraffcook wrote:
MidnightinParis wrote:Thanks! I would also love to hear more about the alternative 1L curriciulum B. Are you a participant or do you have friends who chose that route?
I'm not in it, but I have a ton of friends who are. The curriculum B section (section 3) is, in my opinion, the most social, fun, diverse group of students here. The principle behind it is that you learn the same legal doctrine as the rest of us, but you also look more at history and philosophy, understanding why the law is the way it is. It's a different perspective that generally attracts students interested in public interest and atypical career paths. That's not to say it isn't good for students that want to go typical Big Law or whatever; it's just not what it usually attracts. Everyone I know says they love it and the only downside is that they have 1 more class than the rest of the 1Ls and a bit more reading overall.
My reasoning for not doing it is that I just don't care about why the law is how it is. I just want to learn the rules and get out to start my career. If you're a deep thinker/academic type, section 3 is probably awesome. For me, I'll take the normal path.

I have a question! Do people self-select into Curriculum B or is it randomly placed?

kraffcook

New

Post by kraffcook » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:28 am

jannah77 wrote:
kraffcook wrote:

I have a question! Do people self-select into Curriculum B or is it randomly placed?
100% self-select. They never have trouble filling it up in part because a lot of students come to Georgetown specifically because they want to do Curriculum B.

anon1538

New

Post by anon1538 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:10 pm

About the open house from Jan. 23-24, for students that are coming from out of town, would you recommend coming in Wed. or Thursday? Also, would you recommend staying until Sun. or leaving on Fri. after the events are over?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kraffcook

New

Post by kraffcook » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:55 pm

anon1538 wrote:About the open house from Jan. 23-24, for students that are coming from out of town, would you recommend coming in Wed. or Thursday? Also, would you recommend staying until Sun. or leaving on Fri. after the events are over?
If you can stay longer, I would, especially if you've never been to DC before. You're not really going to see much off-campus during the program other than when we all go out drinking Thursday night. You'll have to find your own place to stay though unless you get a really nice ambassador who doesn't mind you crashing with him/her through the weekend.

When I came up for it, I flew up early Thursday morning and went sight-seeing nearby for a couple hours until the event started (Not until like 2pm). When it ended Friday afternoon, I went sight-seeing some more then took a train into Virginia that night to visit some friends for the weekend. I figured I was already up there, so why not turn it into a full vacation? If hotels weren't so expensive I probably would have stayed in DC an extra night.

buttes

Bronze

Post by buttes » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:59 pm

2L section 3'er here (I never understood why they call it curriculum B in the admissions process -everyone calls it section 3 once you're here). The curriculum is fairly different, with significantly more emphasis on history and philosophy, but this is woven through the standard 1L course load which just happens to be arranged a little differently. Instead of torts and contracts, the 2 are woven together in a yearlong course. Con Law 1 and Criminal Procedure are given a 1 semester treatment together. You get an extra class in the fall that is pretty much just legal theory.

This year though, none of the black letter law I learned (or supposedly didn't) matters at all. The only differences that I spot are some of the more serious/dry/business-oriented professors (think Corporations or Patents) might poke fun, and that there have been moments in several of my classes where I see other section 3 people as the only ones not confused when the professor brings up representation reinforcement or the post-Lochner disintegration of formalism.

If any of that sounds interesting, apply for section 3 (or B, whatever). It's certainly not for everyone, but I definitely knew more people who wish they had selected it (or been selected, it more than fills up by a small margin).

ShrimpToastMasters

Bronze

Post by ShrimpToastMasters » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:43 pm

Checking in! RD!

snapdragon25

Bronze

Post by snapdragon25 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:01 pm

Congrats new admits!! I know finals are coming up, but at some point I'd love to hear from current students about off-campus housing. Where do most students live/hang out? I'd love to live in a lively, young area ideally just a couple red line stops from the law school.
What do you think of NoMa and Dupont circle?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”