Touchback on resume?

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Jangle22

New

Touchback on resume?

Postby Jangle22 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:30 pm

Should a 2-3 week touchback during 2L summer at a 1L firm be noted on a resume? E.g. should the date for the 1L employer be listed as "June-August 2019, August 2020"? Or leave it off? Thanks!

The Lsat Airbender

Bronze

Re: Touchback on resume?

Postby The Lsat Airbender » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:20 am

Doing it in the date field seems super confusing/ugly but this makes sense in a bullet point.

"Returned for touchback associateship in August 2020" except better-written, hopefully.

Drop it once you've been out of law school for more than a year.

RedGiant

Postby RedGiant » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:09 pm

My question, generally, is...if you've been at this firm twice and you're still interviewing, that would make me a little wary as a potential employer. They had a look at you twice, and either no-offered you or you chose to move on. Either one is...not great. I would not put this touchback on because it signals either lack of loyalty or lack of them wanting to take you...either one is not great.

Looks better to just have the 1L situation on your resume and if you need to do a formal app pre-offer, clarify there.

Remember a resume is not a laundry list. It's a marketing doc. Use it to show and demonstrate your brand in a positive way. Best of luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:13 pm

RedGiant wrote:My question, generally, is...if you've been at this firm twice and you're still interviewing, that would make me a little wary as a potential employer. They had a look at you twice, and either no-offered you or you chose to move on. Either one is...not great. I would not put this touchback on because it signals either lack of loyalty or lack of them wanting to take you...either one is not great.

Looks better to just have the 1L situation on your resume and if you need to do a formal app pre-offer, clarify there.

Remember a resume is not a laundry list. It's a marketing doc. Use it to show and demonstrate your brand in a positive way. Best of luck.

(1) This is for clerkship apps, not firm apps.

(2) Even if it wasn't, firms do not expect that most people who do touchbacks will accept offers with the firm--by definition, only people who are doing their main 2L SA elsewhere do touchbacks. You're turning down an offer at a firm either way.

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:56 pm

RedGiant wrote:Remember a resume is not a laundry list. It's a marketing doc. Use it to show and demonstrate your brand in a positive way. Best of luck.

Seconding my fellow mod here. People (including me!) often forget that resumes are not intended to be comprehensive. They are marketing documents intended to be tailored to each job you apply to, to highlight those strengths and qualifications you possess that are relevant to that job. Of course you shouldn't lie or mislead. But there's nothing misleading or dishonest about leaving off a several-week-long touchback at a firm you disclose having summered at. I would argue that listing such a short "experience" is needless clutter. It won't help bolster your credentials in any reasonable employer's/judge's eyes, and may only confuse some (you'd be surprised how many senior lawyers are unfamiliar with modern hiring practices).

(Of course, the above only applies to resumes. There are, obviously, contexts that require that you be comprehensive - e.g., your bar application, or employer background checks, or - sometimes - job application questionnaires that ask you to list "all" previous employment, or "all" previous employment within the past however many years. In those contexts, obviously the touchback should be listed.)

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�