Forgot my Transcript

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
bobloblawlawblogr

New

Forgot my Transcript

Postby bobloblawlawblogr » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:11 pm

So, I am a complete idiot.

I applied for a clerkship I am really excited about, and throughout my multiple checks of all my documents I somehow missed putting my transcript in the packet. I'm not really sure what to do, would appreciate any advice. Should I send a second packet and pretend like nothing happened? Second packet with some sort of note explaining? Send nothing and see if everything else (packet, phone call, recs) gets me some question about sending a transcript? Call the court and ask them to throw it out?

Halp

Bronze

Re: Forgot my Transcript

Postby Halp » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:03 am

I’d be inclined to send the transcript separately with a note that it was inadvertently omitted from your application.

everythingbagel

New

Postby everythingbagel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:06 pm

I suggest re-sending your entire application packet (but with the transcript this time). Add a very short additional cover letter (on top of your original one) saying that your previous submission inadvertently omitted your transcript and that you're resubmitting all of your application materials for the judge's convenience.

I suggest doing that because some chambers may have discarded your application after seeing that it was incomplete. (Many judges get literally thousands of applications, so their staff are often looking for any reason to get rid of an application.) And a short, separate cover letter is a good idea because the judge's staff may remove and discard that letter before the judge reviews your application materials.

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:09 pm

everythingbagel wrote:I suggest re-sending your entire application packet (but with the transcript this time). Add a very short additional cover letter (on top of your original one) saying that your previous submission inadvertently omitted your transcript and that you're resubmitting all of your application materials for the judge's convenience.

I suggest doing that because some chambers may have discarded your application after seeing that it was incomplete. (Many judges get literally thousands of applications, so their staff are often looking for any reason to get rid of an application.) And a short, separate cover letter is a good idea because the judge's staff may remove and discard that letter before the judge reviews your application materials.

I endorse the above. It can't hurt. And resending everything is also the right call. Even if your original application wasn't discarded, the last thing you want is to force the staff to hunt down your original materials so they can add in the transcript.

Halp

Bronze

Postby Halp » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:12 pm

QContinuum wrote:
everythingbagel wrote:I suggest re-sending your entire application packet (but with the transcript this time). Add a very short additional cover letter (on top of your original one) saying that your previous submission inadvertently omitted your transcript and that you're resubmitting all of your application materials for the judge's convenience.

I endorse the above. It can't hurt. And resending everything is also the right call. Even if your original application wasn't discarded, the last thing you want is to force the staff to hunt down your original materials so they can add in the transcript.

Hmm, I mostly agree with this but my fear is that the second application will just get tossed if they think it’s a duplicate. Hopefully they read the cover letter and that doesn’t happen.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships?