Citizenship Requirements for DC Court of Appeals (Not dc circuit) Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ruflakstp

New

Citizenship Requirements for DC Court of Appeals (Not dc circuit)

Post by ruflakstp » Wed May 29, 2019 12:43 pm

Hi guys,

Do you know if there is a citizenship requirement for clerkship with DC Court of Appeals? (Not dc circuit)

I understand that international students can work as a clerk at “state” supreme courts, but I noticed that D.C is technically a federal district...

Non-U.S citizens cannot work for the federal judiciary because of the federal appropriations laws, but Dc Court of appeals is not a federal court..

If you guys know any international jds who clerked at DC Court of Appeals, please let me know.

Thank you!

Auxilio

Silver

Re: Citizenship Requirements for DC Court of Appeals (Not dc circuit)

Post by Auxilio » Wed May 29, 2019 1:55 pm

I went through my PMs to try and get you the name of someone who is doing this I talked to. . .

And realized that was you, sorry.

polareagle

Bronze

Re: Citizenship Requirements for DC Court of Appeals (Not dc circuit)

Post by polareagle » Wed May 29, 2019 8:55 pm

You almost certainly need to be a citizen to work for the D.C. Courts. Unlike the rest of the D.C. government, the local D.C. Courts are themselves effectively federal agencies and are funded directly by congressional appropriation each year. See, e.g., Title IV of https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... 5/text?r=1. Those same annual appropriations laws contain the general prohibition on using appropriated funds to pay non-citizens. See, e.g., Title VII, Sec. 704, of that same law. So unless there's a specific carve-out for D.C. somewhere else (or I'm misreading the interplay of those two provisions--entirely possible), I think you're out of luck.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”