CCN Clerkship Question

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ClerkshipQ1987

New

CCN Clerkship Question

Postby ClerkshipQ1987 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:11 pm

I graduated from NYU/CLS two years ago and have found the clerkship office kind of unhelpful. I was really hoping that TLS could give me some insight.

I finished with so-so grades (around a 3.45) and was not on law review. I was the Executive Editor of a secondary journal, interned at the SDNY USAO, served on the executive board of a public interest student org (if that matters), and worked as an RA to a fairly prominent professor. My letters should be pretty good: one from the professor I worked for; one from a Fed Courts professor I wrote the model answer for; and the last from a visiting professor I had my 1L year (got an A) and who I helped with his study of poverty/criminal justice reform. (I grew up below the poverty line in upstate NY and I expect this professor will reference that if it benefits me at all.) Doubt it matters but Ivy undergrad, with three years at a housing rights org in Buffalo before law school.

At a V20 firm in NYC doing litigation now, but really hope to transition to gov't work one day.

I understand that SDNY/EDNY are out, but do I have any shot at a district court clerkship in a large city? Or a Circuit clerkship virtually anywhere in the country?

AUSAorBust

New

Re: CCN Clerkship Question

Postby AUSAorBust » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:54 am

My understanding (just from looking at the wikipedia page on law school curves) is that Columbia has an estimated media of 3.4 and NYU has am estimated median between 3.17 and 3.25, so, depending on which school you are at, you could either be just around median or somewhat higher.

Having clerked at both the circuit court and district court levels in some out of the way places and helped hire clerks, I think it's unlikely that you would get a circuit court position, even if you are geographically flexible, if you are at Columbia. But if you're really willing to go anywhere, you might be able to get a bite with a district court somewhere.

I'm not sure where a 3.4ish put you in the class at NYU so I won't make a prediction on that.

soxfan122

New

Postby soxfan122 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:58 pm

Does below median with work experience mean no chance at district courts?

AUSAorBust wrote:My understanding (just from looking at the wikipedia page on law school curves) is that Columbia has an estimated media of 3.4 and NYU has am estimated median between 3.17 and 3.25, so, depending on which school you are at, you could either be just around median or somewhat higher.

Having clerked at both the circuit court and district court levels in some out of the way places and helped hire clerks, I think it's unlikely that you would get a circuit court position, even if you are geographically flexible, if you are at Columbia. But if you're really willing to go anywhere, you might be able to get a bite with a district court somewhere.

I'm not sure where a 3.4ish put you in the class at NYU so I won't make a prediction on that.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Postby HillandHollow » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:23 pm

ClerkshipQ1987 wrote:I graduated from NYU/CLS two years ago and have found the clerkship office kind of unhelpful. I was really hoping that TLS could give me some insight.

I finished with so-so grades (around a 3.45) and was not on law review. I was the Executive Editor of a secondary journal, interned at the SDNY USAO, served on the executive board of a public interest student org (if that matters), and worked as an RA to a fairly prominent professor. My letters should be pretty good: one from the professor I worked for; one from a Fed Courts professor I wrote the model answer for; and the last from a visiting professor I had my 1L year (got an A) and who I helped with his study of poverty/criminal justice reform. (I grew up below the poverty line in upstate NY and I expect this professor will reference that if it benefits me at all.) Doubt it matters but Ivy undergrad, with three years at a housing rights org in Buffalo before law school.

At a V20 firm in NYC doing litigation now, but really hope to transition to gov't work one day.

I understand that SDNY/EDNY are out, but do I have any shot at a district court clerkship in a large city? Or a Circuit clerkship virtually anywhere in the country?

District Court in a large city: yes.

AUSAorBust

New

Postby AUSAorBust » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:16 pm

soxfan122 wrote:Does below median with work experience mean no chance at district courts?

AUSAorBust wrote:My understanding (just from looking at the wikipedia page on law school curves) is that Columbia has an estimated media of 3.4 and NYU has am estimated median between 3.17 and 3.25, so, depending on which school you are at, you could either be just around median or somewhat higher.

Depending on school, I wouldn't say no chance. I dont think the district judge I worked for would be interested, but you never know. Someone might bite.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:55 pm

I don't think EDNY is necessarily out if you'd have a couple of years BigLaw experience by the time you clerk. Some of the judges are very grade-selective but others who value experience might be willing to take a look if you can get your recommenders to put in a word on your behalf. I knew NYU alums who clerked for Azrack, Donnelly, Block, and Vitaliano with median/slightly above median grades, although I don't know whether they had an additional hook. There are probably others. DNJ is definitely a possibility for NYU as well, and I'm sure from Columbia too.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�