Christmas gifts for your judge/JA Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Christmas gifts for your judge/JA

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:08 pm

Hi, I hadn't thought about getting a little gift for my judge/JA, but I just found out another clerk in my court gave something to their judge and JA and wondering if I should do the same.

It's seems unnecessary, but I wouldn't want to break a norm.

So what are you doing (did) for Christmas?

coramnonjudice

New

Re: Christmas gifts for your judge/JA

Post by coramnonjudice » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:07 pm

food. they don't have to worry about reporting stuff and it's cheap!

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:12 pm

Group picture with all the clerks, in a nice frame, with a card. If the group pic is an end of the clerkship tradition for your chambers, maybe some sort of dorky gag gift - like matching Santa hats that have "Judge X, Clerkship Class of 2018-2019" for chambers. It's personality dependent, but in general, judges love that shit.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:14 am

I think it's unnecessary. I don't plan to do anything.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:53 am

I think it’s totally chambers-dependant. In one chambers we went in on a gift card for the judge (I think. Or nice wine. Nothing too expensive). In another we didn’t do anything gift-wise, though I think we might have done a potluck lunch near the holiday (and the JA/career clerk just told me what we would be doing because everyone contributed). In federal court I think not doing anything is more the norm than not, though.

I don’t agree about the dorky gag gift though- I think that’s VERY personality dependent.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:50 am

nixy wrote:I think it’s totally chambers-dependant. In one chambers we went in on a gift card for the judge (I think. Or nice wine. Nothing too expensive). In another we didn’t do anything gift-wise, though I think we might have done a potluck lunch near the holiday (and the JA/career clerk just told me what we would be doing because everyone contributed). In federal court I think not doing anything is more the norm than not, though.

I don’t agree about the dorky gag gift though- I think that’s VERY personality dependent.
I'll echo the totally chambers dependent thing. There's most likely already an established practice in your judge's chambers. The judge I clerked for insisted that his clerks and staff not give him gifts because he made more money than everyone else and didn't need them. Maybe get a nice little gift for the JA (that can't hurt either way) and then ask him or her what the general practice has been re: the judge.

ak362

Bronze

Post by ak362 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:07 pm

It's been a while since I've clerked, but I believe there is a federal ethics canon that prohibits supervisors from accepting gifts from their employees (there is an exception for personal occasions like birthdays, but my recollection is very hazy at this point). Worth checking before you splurge on your gift for your judge.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”