Should I clerk for one or two years? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

How long?

One year
80%
Two years
20%

Total votes: 20

Anonymous User

Should I clerk for one or two years?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:43 pm

I have the chance to clerk at a district court in my top city. Should I clerk for one or two years?

I’m graduating with ~$50K of debt, and I stand to make around $120K-$140K per year at my firm. It’s unclear whether I would receive an additional clerkship bonus for the second year. I would come into the firm as a second-year associate regardless of the clerkship duration.

The kicker is that I will be a newlywed during this time, so I am extremely swayed to clerk for longer in order to have an easier work-life-balance during those important years.

Thanks for the advice.

QContinuum

Re: Should I clerk for one or two years?

Post by QContinuum » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:23 pm

Clerking for two years for the same judge won't help you professionally, as I think you recognize. Do you know how hard your judge works their clerks? You could potentially end up working BigLaw hours (or close to it) while making significantly less.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:24 pm

My inclination is towards 1 year since I think the value of a second year is dubious (and a below market firm probably won't reward you for a second year with the same district court judge). But the lifestyle aspect of it is obviously a personal decision, and a new baby can be problematic.

One thing I would consider is this regional law firm, do you expect to stay there (or similar) for 10 years or leave when you are a 5th year?

If you think you'll be settling in long term to this, and similar, regional firms than the cost of a second year at a clerkship is less severe. Whereas if you, like many on this board, are planning on going into biglaw until you are a senior associate then ditching for a more manageable job that pays significantly less the extra year of clerking comes straight out of your ~5 years of high salary.

I'm not sure that makes sense, but if it did, something to think about.

Also, as pointed out, make sure you know for sure that the judge actually would be a lifestyle choice.

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:43 pm

Your idea of clerking for an extra year to have better work-life balance during your first couple years of marriage is totally valid, but only if your Judge is a chill boss. Do not assume clerking will be more laid back than working at your law firm without verification from former clerks. Judges vary wildly in their temperament and expectations regarding work hours.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:19 pm

TCR is one year. Diminishing returns after that in terms of credit, learning applicable skills, forming relationship with judge (hopefully life mentor), and it being worth the financial opportunity cost.

That said if you can go trial and coa back to back, it’s worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”