How many clerkships should I apply to? And do I have a shot? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How many clerkships should I apply to? And do I have a shot?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:52 pm

I am a 2L at Baylor Law in TX. Top 20%. Law Review and Moot Court. Thinking of applying only to Texas district courts. Wondering if I should expand my search to magistrate judges and judges outside of Texas.

Anonymous User

Re: How many clerkships should I apply to? And do I have a shot?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:44 pm

Apply to every Judge that you can. Use the CDO. Ask a professor or two to go to bat for you. Hopefully, you went to the reception yesterday.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Yes, you absolutely should expand your search. You may well get something - especially with a judge who likes to hire from Baylor - but you are by no means a shoo-in, and the best way to increase your chances is to apply to more judges. I know Texas is big, but you should apply to more.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:03 pm

I think it's fine if early in the process you apply only to Texas D. Ct. judges, but you're likely going to have to branch out eventually. I work for a Texas D. Ct. judge, and your numbers, by themselves, wouldn't get you out of the pile. Now, maybe something else would (like ties or a personal connection or something personal to you on your resume), but your numbers just aren't strong enough to say that you're a shoo in. Now, if you only want to clerk if you get a Texas D. Ct. judge, that's your choice. In that case, feel free to limit yourself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”