Above median at DCNG-thoughts on COA Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Above median at DCNG-thoughts on COA

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:55 pm

I've been applying to COA clerkships on OSCAR but to no avail. Wondering if I should just throw in the towel. Stats are:

Graduated from DCNG two years ago. Above median but no latin honors. Work at NYC firm in somewhere in the V20-V30 range. Generic D. Ct. clerkship (i.e., not SDNY, DDC, CDCA, NDIL or the like). Published a few law review articles but not in any super prestigious journals.

Anyone have any advice on getting around the OSCAR 10% required grade preferences? Should I even apply for those jobs? Also, are those things super hard-line rules? My D. Ct. judge did mail apps so I have no idea how OSCAR works.

Anonymous User

Re: Above median at DCNG-thoughts on COA

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've been applying to COA clerkships on OSCAR but to no avail. Wondering if I should just throw in the towel. Stats are:

Graduated from DCNG two years ago. Above median but no latin honors. Work at NYC firm in somewhere in the V20-V30 range. Generic D. Ct. clerkship (i.e., not SDNY, DDC, CDCA, NDIL or the like). Published a few law review articles but not in any super prestigious journals.

Anyone have any advice on getting around the OSCAR 10% required grade preferences? Should I even apply for those jobs? Also, are those things super hard-line rules? My D. Ct. judge did mail apps so I have no idea how OSCAR works.
At my lower T14 the people who got COA clerkships were top 5-10%, so it's going to be hard. Paper apps might help -- at least the judges who have grade preferences can't screen you out automatically without even eyeballing your resume. I'd try to work connections using your D. Ct. judge/law firm partners/professors, etc., and obviously applying in the same jurisdiction as d.ct. clerkship helps. But with those numbers, you're going to need someone who can make a call to a judge to get your app pulled from the pile.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:05 pm

Is DCNG a thing?

koval

Bronze

Post by koval » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:37 am

From when I was applying to law schools, this was an acronym for the bottom end of the T14. Even though people say T13 now, I still think that those schools are relatively comparable in terms of hiring power (with Georgetown being a slight cut below).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”