Should I interview? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Should I interview?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:01 pm

Stats: T20, top 10% GPA, LR (non e-board). No-offered from biglaw SA, but since secured a market-paying midlaw offer. The problem is that the midlaw firm will NOT hold a spot for me if I clerk.

I have an interview with a flyover (think Arizona/New Mexico/non-metro Texas) District Court clerkship. Should I interview for this hoping to get it and then do the job search again in a year? Or take what I have in my hand and run? Will I be more competitive with a District Court clerkship? Also, will the "no-offer stain" still be there after a clerkship?

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Should I interview?

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:05 pm

How do you feel about the firm? Is it a place where you really want to work? Was it a fallback option?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:49 pm

lavarman84 wrote:How do you feel about the firm? Is it a place where you really want to work? Was it a fallback option?
Based on what I saw I liked the firm and would happily work there. It's in a part of the city I like, and I hear it's less up-or-out than other biglaw firms. They also don't hire much.

That said maybe after clerking, I could get some prestigious Vault firm? Who knows? And if I did would it necessarily be "better?"

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:How do you feel about the firm? Is it a place where you really want to work? Was it a fallback option?
Based on what I saw I liked the firm and would happily work there. It's in a part of the city I like, and I hear it's less up-or-out than other biglaw firms. They also don't hire much.

That said maybe after clerking, I could get some prestigious Vault firm? Who knows? And if I did would it necessarily be "better?"
It really all boils down to a few questions:
1. Do you really want to clerk?
2. Do you want to clerk for that judge?
3. Do you want to work for a more prestigious firm?
4. Are you willing to risk clerking but not landing in a better spot after you leave?

Answering those questions should tell you whether you should interview or not. Truly, if #1 and #2 are "yes," you should go ahead an interview if you can afford it financially.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview with a flyover (think Arizona/New Mexico/non-metro Texas) District Court clerkship. Should I interview for this hoping to get it and then do the job search again in a year? Or take what I have in my hand and run? Will I be more competitive with a District Court clerkship? Also, will the "no-offer stain" still be there after a clerkship?
Do you have a sense for how well-connected your judge is? If your judge has an "in" with a biglaw firm, or a CoA judge, then I'd say the risk is relatively low and you should go for it. OTOH, if your judge is a pretty low-profile rural D.Ct. (and non-EDTX) judge... I don't know that clerking would necessarily give you that great of a shot on the job market a year later. Yes, clerking technically gives you another bite at the BigLaw apple, but this board (and secondhand stories) suggest the clerking market's not always easy or predictable. You pretty much have to be a CoA or "prestigious district" clerk to be assured of biglaw firms pounding down your door post-clerkship.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:29 pm

I'd second the cautionary note. Based on the anecdotes about postclerkship district court hiring, it's not a safe bet to count on being able to get biglaw. If you like the firm and it's a place you can see yourself in the long run, it's definitely the safer move to head there. If it turns out you don't like it after a year or so, you can start applying for clerkships as a way to exit. You'd be more competitive because of the work experience.

One other factor—in postclerkship hiring I had at least one firm ask me if I'd been no-offered. You'll have to be prepared at least to have the question asked. I don't know if anybody actually will call your summer firm to figure this out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”