Litigation after Transactional Work and Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Litigation after Transactional Work and Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:05 am

I did transactional work for two years following graduation, and now I am clerking for a district judge. The transactional work was purely securities. I even got to do some securities litigation while I was there because they were so understaffed and I was a breathing associate (they also knew I was interested, but I doubt that was the reason).

I would like to return to biglaw but to do litigation. I knew I wanted to do litigation since law school, but I was placed in the group and could not switch out. So instead of lateraling, I went for the clerkship with hopes to reset and return to biglaw.

Any advice on how to approach the application cycle? Can I play this to my advantage somehow, or at least not have it negatively impact me (as much)? I am not too worried that firms wont believe I want to do litigation, just more concerned about being three years out and not having litigation experience (other than some sec. lit., pro bono stuff, and clerking). Some people have suggested being willing to drop a class year, and I think that I might not have a choice. Do any former clerks have similar stories they can share?

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Litigation after Transactional Work and Clerkship

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:09 am

If you're clerking on a D. Ct., it shouldn't be difficult to convince them you want to litigate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am not too worried that firms wont believe I want to do litigation, just more concerned about being three years out and not having litigation experience (other than some sec. lit., pro bono stuff, and clerking).
lavarman84 wrote:If you're clerking on a D. Ct., it shouldn't be difficult to convince them you want to litigate.
I agree. More concerned with competing against other clerks who have litigation experience. And if they don't have litigation experience because they are one year out of law school, than they are cheaper than me. Also concerned with firms not being interested or looking at me as a risky candidate.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:41 am

Yeah, I think you're not crazy to be concerned. I'd want to hear from folks with more on-point experience, but you should perhaps be prepared to express a willingness to drop a class year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”