Timeline for Job Searching During Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
coramnonjudice

New

Timeline for Job Searching During Clerkship

Post by coramnonjudice » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:22 am

I just started my 1-year-term DJ clerkship in September and want to secure next year's plans as soon as possible. For planning purposes, is there a general timeline when Biglaw makes its offers to law clerks? I'm also fuzzy on how early I should be planning on submitting applications to firms. I've heard folks say no time is too soon, but a recruiter told me a year out is crazy.

JustHawkin

Gold

Re: Timeline for Job Searching During Clerkship

Post by JustHawkin » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:04 pm

Also interested in this. My inclination was to get about a month or so of clerk experience under my belt. That way, if I got a responsive call to interview, I could at least articulate how my experience clerking has been so far. But I started in August, so YMMV. Tried doing some searching on here and it seems as if October may be the usual beginning. That also makes sense because firms' recruiters are wrapping up summer associate hiring so they can turn to clerk hiring. But I'll defer to those with experience from years past.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:15 pm

I was always told you should start applying Feb-March, but it was a couple of years ago now and I don’t know if the timeline has changed. I’ve seen a lot of people start earlier, but many seem not to get anything till later anyway and then they just stress more about their prospects.

And fwiw the timelines definitely seem to vary. The objectively very top candidates tend to get jobs quite quickly, but it can take a lot longer for average candidates (and to be clear those are still great candidates, just average in the context of clerks). I’ve definitely known people not to get anything lined up until near the end of the summer before, so try not to panic too quickly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:12 pm

I think boutiques may be more flexible in their hiring timelines. I had a job by November.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”