2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:55 pm

If going back to a firm, when do I ask about start date and more importantly salary / bonus?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Has anyone gotten many responses from boutiques and similar?

I've had screeners with MTO and Gibson, not many other responses.

I've had two firms tell me they'll "be in touch" in January when they start interviewing—should I interpret that essentially having a screener I haven't booked yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:56 pm

I've gotten one 'we don't expect to hire for litigation at this time, but we'll let you know for sure later,' and that's it. Radio silence on the others

clerkymcclerkerson

New

Post by clerkymcclerkerson » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:18 pm

What's the general method of applying? I'm SSC in a major market. Do you folks reach out to career offices? or just apply for lateral gigs?

I worked as an associate at a small firm for ~1 year before clerking, so I'm sort of a unique candidate for post-clerk entry level gigs, but also not entirely qualified for most lateral openings. Any thoughts and advice appreciated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:59 pm

clerkymcclerkerson wrote:What's the general method of applying? I'm SSC in a major market. Do you folks reach out to career offices? or just apply for lateral gigs?

I worked as an associate at a small firm for ~1 year before clerking, so I'm sort of a unique candidate for post-clerk entry level gigs, but also not entirely qualified for most lateral openings. Any thoughts and advice appreciated.
Also a SSC clerk (although without the prior year). I mostly applied by just emailing (or using the portals) to the recruiting email listed on firm sites. Have had some success (no offers yet, but getting responses).

Depending on what exactly that "small firm" is (and other stats, what school, what state court (big difference between NY/DE/CA and WA), etc.) you might consider making it clear in cover letter than you are open to coming in as a second year (not third) when applying to bigger firms/top boutiques. Don't make it 100% but just something like "open to negotiating class year" etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:18 am

My clerkship is ending next December. For firms that ask clerks to apply to open lateral positions, when is the best time apply? Seems strange applying to an open position almost a year out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My clerkship is ending next December. For firms that ask clerks to apply to open lateral positions, when is the best time apply? Seems strange applying to an open position almost a year out.
I don't see any harm in applying early. Be upfront that you don't plan on starting until January 2020. That is most likely considered the same starting class as someone starting in September/October 2019, who would be applying now. You wouldn't want your dream firm to fill spots without having your application in the mix.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My clerkship is ending next December. For firms that ask clerks to apply to open lateral positions, when is the best time apply? Seems strange applying to an open position almost a year out.
Am in a similar position. I emailed most of the big firms in my area, and almost all of them said to wait to apply to lateral positions until closer to your term end date. Some even said to wait until a few weeks before your term ends. I would recommend contacting recruitment offices and asking, it probably varies by firm.

coramnonjudice

New

Post by coramnonjudice » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If going back to a firm, when do I ask about start date and more importantly salary / bonus?
bump

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:01 pm

coramnonjudice wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If going back to a firm, when do I ask about start date and more importantly salary / bonus?
bump
My firm had given me a deadline by which to know if I was planning on accepting their offer. If your firm didn't, I think now is a fine time to reach out to the recruiting person to start talking about salary and bonus. I wouldn't be surprised if they tell you it's too soon to pick your start date.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:35 pm

Kinda worried about this. I'm clerking in a fancy district but don't have the grades normally associated with clerks from my fancy district. It'll be a huge bummer if I'm shut out of post-clerkship employment in my district as a result.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kinda worried about this. I'm clerking in a fancy district but don't have the grades normally associated with clerks from my fancy district. It'll be a huge bummer if I'm shut out of post-clerkship employment in my district as a result.
Same. Had a networking-based callback in December that went well, I thought, in which I was ultimately dinged. Other firms have asked me to reapply in the new year.

coramnonjudice

New

Post by coramnonjudice » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:14 am

I'm working on a lateral cover letter and it's so tough to get the tone right. Are there any places out there to look at good examples?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yooobagz

New

Post by yooobagz » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:04 pm

Is there any significant movement happening at this point? I applied to a couple of larger firms in my market (not NY/DC) back in December, but haven't heard anything. I'm not a particularly strong candidate for big law, though, so that probably doesn't help my case, lol. I guess I'm just feeling antsy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:17 pm

yooobagz wrote:Is there any significant movement happening at this point? I applied to a couple of larger firms in my market (not NY/DC) back in December, but haven't heard anything. I'm not a particularly strong candidate for big law, though, so that probably doesn't help my case, lol. I guess I'm just feeling antsy.
I've gotten (scheduled, not taken) callbacks at 2 top boutiques (think Kellogg/MTO/Keker/Bartlitt) so far. I didn't apply to many traditional big law but have had a couple screeners from where I did apply. Mostly silent responses from bigger firms so far though.

Relatively mediocre credentials, I don't think I'm good enough to jump the line or anything.

yooobagz

New

Post by yooobagz » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
yooobagz wrote:
I've gotten (scheduled, not taken) callbacks at 2 top boutiques (think Kellogg/MTO/Keker/Bartlitt) so far. I didn't apply to many traditional big law but have had a couple screeners from where I did apply. Mostly silent responses from bigger firms so far though.

Relatively mediocre credentials, I don't think I'm good enough to jump the line or anything.
Not for nothing, but if you've got callbacks at that caliber of boutique, you're definitely selling yourself short! Congratulations, it's at least good to hear that there are some people interviewing!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:59 pm

yooobagz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
yooobagz wrote:

Not for nothing, but if you've got callbacks at that caliber of boutique, you're definitely selling yourself short! Congratulations, it's at least good to hear that there are some people interviewing!
This basically outs me, but I'm only top 25% at PVMD (with LR) with a SSC clerkship (not Liu or anything), no real work experience pre-law school. I'm honestly still surprised I've had much success at top boutiques.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DrPangloss

New

Post by DrPangloss » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
yooobagz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
yooobagz wrote:

This basically outs me, but I'm only top 25% at PVMD (with LR) with a SSC clerkship (not Liu or anything), no real work experience pre-law school. I'm honestly still surprised I've had much success at top boutiques.
PM me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:40 pm

Does anyone have any insight into MTO callbacks? I have one and it is scheduled for almost 7 hours and they mention be prepared for behavioral interviewing questions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:23 pm

In the process of applying in the Bay Area. Has anyone had any movement so far?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In the process of applying in the Bay Area. Has anyone had any movement so far?
I've applied to a few firms, but not tons in the Bay Area. Callback at MTO and Screener (then ding) at Gibson Dunn. No other substantive responses.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:43 pm

What's a reasonable amount of time to take off after clerkships? Wherever I end up, I kinda wanted to start the first week of October, which would be 3 weeks from my clerkship end date. But I don't want to lock myself out of positions. I mean, surely it's reasonable to at least get a week off. I'd rather lock in a trip now, or else I really don't have an "excuse" for starting later whenever I arrange for my start date. This is also assuming I have a job by then :cry:

yooobagz

New

Post by yooobagz » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:25 pm

I don't know exactly how it works with larger firms (whether there's some kind of orientation or whatever), but every regular employer I've had has been willing to negotiate start dates. A week doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all. Three weeks might be pushing it, but if you're far enough into the process that you're talking start dates, I don't see the harm in bringing it up ("I can start on X date, but if it's important to you guys, I can move it up to Y"). But yeah, I guess getting the job is the first rub, haha.

Also, for those who are interested/haven't seen yet, Kirkland's clerk portal is back up for 2019 positions in Houston/LA/Chicago/NY/DC.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:09 pm

OutoftheWoods wrote:What's a reasonable amount of time to take off after clerkships? Wherever I end up, I kinda wanted to start the first week of October, which would be 3 weeks from my clerkship end date. But I don't want to lock myself out of positions. I mean, surely it's reasonable to at least get a week off. I'd rather lock in a trip now, or else I really don't have an "excuse" for starting later whenever I arrange for my start date. This is also assuming I have a job by then :cry:
First week of October shouldn’t be an issue at all. At my firm, clerks are, at least as a starting point, offered the same start dates as incoming first years. First week of October is right in the midrange of that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:00 pm

How do you go about applying to different offices of the same firm. I have ties to two cities and want to apply to both, but I don't want to come off as looking desperate or not willing to stay long term.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”