What should I do? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

What should I do?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:47 pm

Applied for a clerkship to start asap, like, next week. I told them that I could not interview until next week and they seemed to be ok with that, stating that they would call or email me to set up an interview. That was Friday. I still havnt heard anything. I'm starting to worry that they will find someone that can start immediately and not even bring me in to interview. But I don't know what I. An do about it...I can't leave work this week; I have a planned vacation next week so that is why I am available then.

At what point, if ever, should I call chambers and ask when the interview would be? Has anyone heard of a judge not following up on interview request due to the applicant not being able to start soon enough, or finding a suitable candidate before the other person's interview? Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: What should I do?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:52 pm

If I were you, I would invent a reason to leave work and make yourself available as soon as they can interview you. I had a friend who was on a the train to his clerkship interview when the judge called him to tell him no need; he'd just interviewed someone he liked and hired him for the job instead. And that was for a job 1.5 years out. I think time is of the essence, particularly when the job starts as early as next week. Think about it this way - if you're in a hurry to get the job filled, and two equally good candidates are available to interview, one today, and one a week from now, if you like the one you interview today, why wait? Good luck!

Laser Lady

New

Post by Laser Lady » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:56 pm

I agree with Anon above. I'd interpret them "be[ing] ok with that" as them being willing to consider you if they don't hire another candidate in the meantime. You should not count on them holding the job for you until you can interview. When I was going through the hiring process, I got a phone call on a Tuesday asking if I'd come to the other side of the country for an interview. I didn't want to pay for same-day tickets or miss my classes, so we set up an interview for Friday (four days from then), and I booked my plane tickets to fly out for the interview. I got a phone call Wednesday morning telling me the judge had hired the first four people who came through the door, so I was out of luck. Especially with this clerkship starting so soon, I wouldn't expect them to hold anything for you. Sorry!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:29 pm

Op here. Thanks for the replies. It's about what I expected, and it sucks. Def favors the more local applicants. I'm considering just calling tomorrow and telling them I can Wednesday. This would be my second clerkship, and I'm not naive as to how rare these opportunities are, especially in a competitive district.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”