Completely self editing writing sample? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
timmyd

Bronze

Completely self editing writing sample?

Post by timmyd » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:22 pm

I've seen a lot of judges recently calling for "completely self edited" writing samples. I previously clerked for a fed district judge and have been in private practice for two years now, often writing intensive. I don't think I have a completely self edited piece. I have an unreleased opinion from my prior clerkship and multiple msj briefs that I could use; none of these were from spared from at least light edits from the judge/partner...

If I specify light edits, is this an auto ding from the judge? I just don't think completely self edited, substantially samples, exist for youngish lawyers unless it's like a note or something, which I think would be weird to use after practicing/clerking

Puffman1234

New

Re: Completely self editing writing sample?

Post by Puffman1234 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:45 pm

You don't have a single pre-other-person's-edits draft of any order you wrote that, if unsatisfactory to you now, you could edit to better reflect your presumably more-advanced abilities today?

I clerked for a fed d.ct judge. My writing sample I used for the job search later was just a 100%-mine draft of an order that I edited (at the time of putting my applications together) to better reflect my current level. My cover letter explained this process.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”