Gift for Federal Judge Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
coramnonjudice

New

Gift for Federal Judge

Post by coramnonjudice » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:31 am

My judge has made clear that he/she expects some sort of gift at the end of my clerkship term (by speaking disparagingly of last year's term clerk who left without providing a gift). Any idea what would be appropriate? I did not enjoy my time here and want something very vanilla/basic.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Re: Gift for Federal Judge

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:43 am

Decent bottle of wine should suffice

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:46 am

Yeah. And FWIW that’s bullshit on the judge’s part.

coramnonjudice

New

Post by coramnonjudice » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:48 am

nixy wrote:Yeah. And FWIW that’s bullshit on the judge’s part.
Dude that's just the tip of the iceberg. It's been a tough term.

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:57 am

Did you/your co-clerks ever have a picture taken together? Just go get a little $10 wooden frame and give him the picture.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:07 pm

Sounds like he/she is a jerk. I'd get him something cheap and useless, like a pet rock or a coffee table book on a completely random subject.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:44 am

Barrred wrote:Did you/your co-clerks ever have a picture taken together? Just go get a little $10 wooden frame and give him the picture.
This is a good, safe option. My co-clerk and I went in on a nice, framed photo of our judge and all his chambers staff (including us) that was taken during a formal event. Even though he had made clear he didn't want or expect gifts from his staff, he really seemed to like it.

Also worked for a different judge during law school. At the end of the externship I got him a tie because he frequently complimented mine.

Judges know they make more money than you. Put thought into it instead of cash. Even though your judge sounds like a jerk, it's probably worth it to give a good gift and leave on pleasant terms.

coramnonjudice

New

Post by coramnonjudice » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Barrred wrote:Did you/your co-clerks ever have a picture taken together? Just go get a little $10 wooden frame and give him the picture.
This is a good, safe option. My co-clerk and I went in on a nice, framed photo of our judge and all his chambers staff (including us) that was taken during a formal event. Even though he had made clear he didn't want or expect gifts from his staff, he really seemed to like it.

Also worked for a different judge during law school. At the end of the externship I got him a tie because he frequently complimented mine.

Judges know they make more money than you. Put thought into it instead of cash. Even though your judge sounds like a jerk, it's probably worth it to give a good gift and leave on pleasant terms.
I agree that this is a great gift idea. However, during my term my co-clerks and I were not invited to attend any events with the judge and never had any photos taken with one another. We went to a fast food restaurant for lunch one Friday. Other than that, we ate at our desks and worked 12 hour days 6 days a week. It was a joyless experience I'm glad to have behind me.

legit

Bronze

Post by legit » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:18 pm

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/prof ... fgift.html

If I were to give $100 in chocolate strawberries to the federal judge and court staff (6 people), would that be okay? They received chocolate strawberries that were delivered to the court before I clerked and mentioned about how they ate them for breakfast. The judge has been a wonderful mentor and taken me out to lunch on multiple occasions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Laser Lady

New

Post by Laser Lady » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:00 pm

legit wrote:https://www.americanbar.org/groups/prof ... fgift.html

If I were to give $100 in chocolate strawberries to the federal judge and court staff (6 people), would that be okay? They received chocolate strawberries that were delivered to the court before I clerked and mentioned about how they ate them for breakfast. The judge has been a wonderful mentor and taken me out to lunch on multiple occasions.
In my opinion, that would be fine. I think it falls under the B(2) exception for gifts from someone with whom the judge has a close enough personal relationship that the judge's impartiality in hearing a case involving that person might reasonably be questioned.

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:11 pm

legit wrote:https://www.americanbar.org/groups/prof ... fgift.html

FYI, this is the relevant rule: http://www.uscourts.gov/sites/default/f ... c-ch06.pdf

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”