Clerkship Bonus for a Lateral Attorney? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Clerkship Bonus for a Lateral Attorney?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:05 pm

Hello,

Hoping someone has a definitive answer from a firm website or from personal experience, but will an attorney who worked for 3+ years for the government, then clerks for an Art. III judge, receive a "clerkship bonus" when joining a firm? I read a post from another thread that stated "a friend was treated like a lateral and didn't receive a clerkship bonus after taking this untraditional approach," but I'm hoping this is the minority position. Any insight from other folks? When I review various firm's websites, it seems to simply indicate those coming directly from an Art. III clerkship will receive a bonus, without distinguishing between experienced laterals and entry level attorneys. I understand I should qualify for "class credit," but I was looking forward to that clerkship and signing bonus having been a "public servant" for a while.

I have a feeling that the answer is simply: it depends on the firm and you'll have to negotiate.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Re: Clerkship Bonus for a Lateral Attorney?

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:41 pm

Yeah, there's an element of negotiation in the terms of clerkship hiring, but my impression is that "market" would be for you to get a clerkship bonus. I think things get trickier as you get more senior (in terms of maybe giving up class years, clerkship bonus) but I don't think you're that far out yet. I'd be surprised if you didn't get the bonus—I've known plenty of people who went back to biglaw (having been associates for 1-4 years) after clerking for a year or two and who got the market clerkship bonus ($50k for one, $70k for two years).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:39 pm

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:Yeah, there's an element of negotiation in the terms of clerkship hiring, but my impression is that "market" would be for you to get a clerkship bonus. I think things get trickier as you get more senior (in terms of maybe giving up class years, clerkship bonus) but I don't think you're that far out yet. I'd be surprised if you didn't get the bonus—I've known plenty of people who went back to biglaw (having been associates for 1-4 years) after clerking for a year or two and who got the market clerkship bonus ($50k for one, $70k for two years).
Has anyone heard of laterals managing to negotiate 70k if their clerkships were non-consecutive (e.g., clerk out of LS, two years in biglaw, clerk again, back to biglaw with 70k bonus?). This would be a bit unfair, given that you're essentially getting paid twice for the first clerkship, but wondering if it's something I could plausibly ask for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BlackAndOrange84 wrote:Yeah, there's an element of negotiation in the terms of clerkship hiring, but my impression is that "market" would be for you to get a clerkship bonus. I think things get trickier as you get more senior (in terms of maybe giving up class years, clerkship bonus) but I don't think you're that far out yet. I'd be surprised if you didn't get the bonus—I've known plenty of people who went back to biglaw (having been associates for 1-4 years) after clerking for a year or two and who got the market clerkship bonus ($50k for one, $70k for two years).
Has anyone heard of laterals managing to negotiate 70k if their clerkships were non-consecutive (e.g., clerk out of LS, two years in biglaw, clerk again, back to biglaw with 70k bonus?). This would be a bit unfair, given that you're essentially getting paid twice for the first clerkship, but wondering if it's something I could plausibly ask for.
Same firm? Unlikely but possible.
Different firms? Probably.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I know someone who managed to do this, so, yes, possible. But with different firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”