Circuits (Not Geographically Picky) ? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Circuits (Not Geographically Picky) ?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2018 1:20 am

Current 2nd year at V-15; 3.5x @ MVP + unrelated M.A. (though no thesis or legal writing).

Will begin a district court clerkship in one of 5/4/6/11 this fall.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Re: Circuits (Not Geographically Picky) ?

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:42 pm

Is there a question here?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2018 2:19 am

The question was in the subject line.
Do you think I will be competitive, if so how much and which circuits to apply. If not, what can I add to my résumé to help?

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:52 am

Dude, "Circuits?" is barely a question—you're second line is more helpful.

Anyway, sure you're competitive (alum w/ we, and upcoming D.Ct. clerkship). Apply broadly and something will break loose.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2018 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:The question was in the subject line.
Do you think I will be competitive, if so how much and which circuits to apply. If not, what can I add to my résumé to help?
Sure, you have a shot, but you'll need to apply widely. I doubt there is much you can "add" to the resume. Your best bet is to have people with connections to judges make calls for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2018 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:The question was in the subject line.
You probably won't be competitive for 2/9/DC.
You probably will be competitive in the circuit where your district sits and other comparably-competitive circuits.

That said, if you're looking for a COA clerkship to begin in fall 2019, you're VERY late to the game. There are still some judges looking to hire, and you might have some success applying to nominees. If you definitely want to do 2019, apply broadly and ASAP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2018 9:14 pm

Apply broadly to the judges of the circuit that your district court is located in, and then strategically to judges on other circuits who prefer to hire alumni with prior clerkship and firm experience. Every circuit has judges who look for candidates like you (although you need to stay realistic, because they’ll also likely be looking at HYS grads with better grades who have your work experience). If you’re truly not picky geographically, I would contact your school’s clerkship office and ask for the names of every circuit judge who has hired an alumni clerk from your school, and then apply to them all.

I haven’t clerked for a district judge, but what do people think about suggesting that OP talk to his/her upcoming judge about his/her desire for a circuit clerkship? Many judges (including my circuit judge) would be thrilled to hear that their clerk aspires to work at both levels, and would at a minimum offer some suggestions if not active support. But I can see how other judges might find this presumptuous, especially if done before the clerkship even begins.

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Post by Fireworks2016 » Fri May 25, 2018 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Apply broadly to the judges of the circuit that your district court is located in, and then strategically to judges on other circuits who prefer to hire alumni with prior clerkship and firm experience. Every circuit has judges who look for candidates like you (although you need to stay realistic, because they’ll also likely be looking at HYS grads with better grades who have your work experience). If you’re truly not picky geographically, I would contact your school’s clerkship office and ask for the names of every circuit judge who has hired an alumni clerk from your school, and then apply to them all.

I haven’t clerked for a district judge, but what do people think about suggesting that OP talk to his/her upcoming judge about his/her desire for a circuit clerkship? Many judges (including my circuit judge) would be thrilled to hear that their clerk aspires to work at both levels, and would at a minimum offer some suggestions if not active support. But I can see how other judges might find this presumptuous, especially if done before the clerkship even begins.
I wouldn't have felt comfortable doing this, but now, knowing my judge, I am sure that he would have been fine with it. But I doubt any judge is going to put his name/credibility on the line by actively pushing your name before you've proven your worth in his/her chambers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 25, 2018 7:47 pm

Fireworks2016 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Apply broadly to the judges of the circuit that your district court is located in, and then strategically to judges on other circuits who prefer to hire alumni with prior clerkship and firm experience. Every circuit has judges who look for candidates like you (although you need to stay realistic, because they’ll also likely be looking at HYS grads with better grades who have your work experience). If you’re truly not picky geographically, I would contact your school’s clerkship office and ask for the names of every circuit judge who has hired an alumni clerk from your school, and then apply to them all.

I wouldn't have felt comfortable doing this, but now, knowing my judge, I am sure that he would have been fine with it. But I doubt any judge is going to put his name/credibility on the line by actively pushing your name before you've proven your worth in his/her chambers.
Oh, I doubt many judges would do that either—I was just wondering whether maybe OP’s judges would be willing to spitball some ideas (“Judge X has hired my clerks before;” “Judge Y just had a clerk for next term drop out” etc.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:16 pm

thoughts on when judges send out a rejection letter but it also states that i should apply again the following term? is that a pretty standard letter or something that I should take into consideration and try again?

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:thoughts on when judges send out a rejection letter but it also states that i should apply again the following term? is that a pretty standard letter or something that I should take into consideration and try again?
Could be a form letter, it’s hard to say without very specIfic knowledge of a judge’s hiring practices, but you might as well take it at face value.

bbridge

New

Post by bbridge » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:26 pm

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:thoughts on when judges send out a rejection letter but it also states that i should apply again the following term? is that a pretty standard letter or something that I should take into consideration and try again?
Could be a form letter, it’s hard to say without very specIfic knowledge of a judge’s hiring practices, but you might as well take it at face value.

If you’re asking about Matheson, he sends that out to everyone every year. Sorry to melt your special snowflake.

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:26 pm

bbridge wrote:
BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
If you’re asking about Matheson, he sends that out to everyone every year. Sorry to melt your special snowflake.
Needlessly uncharitable "snowflake" comment aside, this probably isn't a Matheson-specific phenomenon; pretty sure the "Judge X is full this year, but invites you to apply again next year" thing is a form letter phrase.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”