Getting Fired or Let Go From Clerkship

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Getting Fired or Let Go From Clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2018 11:41 am

Wild Card wrote:Why don't you out the fucking judge? Is this some kind of pretentious inner circle bullshit you're pulling? Stop abusing the anon function.

While I don't think this is an abuse of the anon function at all--and certainly didn't intend any "pretentious inner circle bullshit"--the SDNY judge being referred to is almost certainly Judge Berman.

See: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0#p6719400

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p9682138

No personal experience with him at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 04, 2018 8:28 pm

Speaking from immediate personal experience, I can assure you that there is life after leaving a clerkship early.

The key is having a clear, intelligible explanation for why things did not work out with the judge. Being fired, in my opinion, is *significantly less preferable* to leaving on your own terms. You'll have to report being fired/let go on virtually any job application in the future, so avoiding that is a generally preferable bet.

What I would recommend is reaching out to a trusted mentor and explaining the situation; failing that, consider contacting someone at your future firm (maybe a partner you hit it off with?) and taking their temperature about how things would be perceived.

This is not the end of the world (though I sure as hell thought it was). In fact, reclaiming some autonomy over the situation will probably do you a world of good.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2018 11:44 am

can the above anon somehow their the experience on talking to the partner and how he pulled it off. any chance you can contact me without either of us outing each other?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:16 pm

If this happens to you, but the official file reflects a resignation, is it something that you have to disclose on Character and Fitness if the form asks if you have been fired or asked to resign "for cause"?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is pretty unheard of, but it does happen. A couple of ideas:

Fourth, you might simply hire a writing coach. I know it can be costly, but the problem in a clerkship is likely that you're writing is incoherent. That's likely an organizational thing that can be fixed by simply learning the structure of legal writing. Nipping this in the bud now might save your legal career down the road.

Have you done this? If so, do you have someone you'd recommend? I'd be interested in this. I'm not the OP btw.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�