Magistrate Chances? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Magistrate Chances?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:50 pm

NDCal recently posted an opening w/ a magistrate judge in Oakland. Wondering if anyone has any insight into whether or not I have a chance. Interested in hearing from anyone who has an opinion, but particularly interested if you've worked for an MJ or have been in a similar position.

STATS
Graduated in 2016 from a T1
Top 40% (crappy 1L grades, unfortunately)
Non-LR journal, notes editor, not published
DOJ/USAO internships
State trial ct clerkship 2016-17
State ct of appeals clerkship 2017-present
Bar admission

Thoughts?

PS posting anon b/c reading this + other stuff I've posted would allow everyone I know IRL to know who I am and I'm uncomfortable with that.

Anonymous User

Re: Magistrate Chances?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Just apply. You're talking about submitting a single application, and you never know what will pique a judge's interest (your clerking experience may be attractive, for example, even though it's in a different court).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:37 pm

Can't speak to Oakland/NDCA but that resume would be competitive in most districts so long as (1) you took substantive and relevant classes in your 2L and 3L years rather than a bunch of seminar classes or "Law of the ____" classes and (2) you demonstrate experience in, or at least a good grasp of, the type of work the district assigns to magistrate judges (this tends to vary a lot by district so figure that out before sending your application can and try and tailor your application to such)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:18 pm

9th circuit MJ clerk here... My understanding is that bay area clerkships are just really, really tough to get. You'd be a credible applicant though. It seems to me that MJs look for experienced applicants more than DJs do. If the judge you're applying to feels that way, an applicant with two clerkships would definitely stand out. Anyway, what's that all matter? Just send an application.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”