Big Law Class Year Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Big Law Class Year

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:21 am

Class of 2014 grad currently in a COA clerkship. I worked one year in big law and then spent two years clerking at a district court. What class year is realistic to push for with firms?

valjean

New

Re: Big Law Class Year

Post by valjean » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:03 pm

I’m in this position and am starting in the fall as a third-year. One of my co-clerks is ‘14 and got one offer to start as a fourth-year, but not at the firm he is heading to. I’m viewing the reduced class year as extra time to establish myself before partnership evaluation starts. I pushed back a bit but gave up fairly quickly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:12 pm

valjean wrote:I’m in this position and am starting in the fall as a third-year. One of my co-clerks is ‘14 and got one offer to start as a fourth-year, but not at the firm he is heading to. I’m viewing the reduced class year as extra time to establish myself before partnership evaluation starts. I pushed back a bit but gave up fairly quickly.
Does anyone else have experience with this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
valjean wrote:I’m in this position and am starting in the fall as a third-year. One of my co-clerks is ‘14 and got one offer to start as a fourth-year, but not at the firm he is heading to. I’m viewing the reduced class year as extra time to establish myself before partnership evaluation starts. I pushed back a bit but gave up fairly quickly.
This is a pretty specific question, and you had someone in the exact situation offer a reply. I can't imagine there are too many others in the exact situation.

Feel out what class year the firm wants you at, then counter if you strongly feel the need to do so. I wouldn't reccomend coming in as a 5th year and I doubt a firm would consider that. Fourth seems appropriate, and third doesn't seem crazy.

TFALAWL

Bronze

Post by TFALAWL » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This is a pretty specific question, and you had someone in the exact situation offer a reply. I can't imagine there are too many others in the exact situation.

Feel out what class year the firm wants you at, then counter if you strongly feel the need to do so. I wouldn't reccomend coming in as a 5th year and I doubt a firm would consider that. Fourth seems appropriate, and third doesn't seem crazy.
To be fair, I've seen this scenario come up a few times on this site, so wouldn't be surprised if a couple more folks chime in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”