Next Best Option to a Clerkship? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Donnis

New

Next Best Option to a Clerkship?

Post by Donnis » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:09 am

Currently taking 1.5 years off of law school due to medical reasons and starting again Fall 2018 for 1 year to finish up my degree. I have 3 years of experience at a firm and have clerked at other law firms throughout law school. Compared to the average law school student, I have a tremendous amount of work experience.

Since I have over half a year before I begin, I was wondering what would be the next best thing to a clerkship considering I have not graduated yet and ineligible. I would like to focus solely on research and writing.

The firm I am with now rarely has any research or writing opportunities. Are there any other options out there for someone in my position? Or am I just stuck with a paralegal job and no job opportunities exist to research and write?

flashdril

New

Re: Next Best Option to a Clerkship?

Post by flashdril » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:01 pm

One thing you could try to do - this isn't a substitute for a job, but would be a good use of your time, I think - would be to write a LR note or article and submit it for publication somewhere. I'd think that would look good and signal that you take writing and research seriously. Reach out to former/future professors for advice and feedback, etc.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:29 pm

flashdril wrote:One thing you could try to do - this isn't a substitute for a job, but would be a good use of your time, I think - would be to write a LR note or article and submit it for publication somewhere. I'd think that would look good and signal that you take writing and research seriously. Reach out to former/future professors for advice and feedback, etc.
TITCR

I believe that this contributed greatly to my subsequently getting a clerkship. Gotta get it published though, which is no easy feat.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:21 pm

Writing a LR article is good, but you'll have to really find something you think is interesting and invest the time in it.
Maybe see if you can get a judicial externship? Those are for students and it's very possible judges have 'em year round and not just during the summer. I don't know.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:22 pm

lolwat wrote:Writing a LR article is good, but you'll have to really find something you think is interesting and invest the time in it.
Maybe see if you can get a judicial externship? Those are for students and it's very possible judges have 'em year round and not just during the summer. I don't know.
Many do (usually through a law school externship program, but sometimes not).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:06 pm

mjb447 wrote:
lolwat wrote:Writing a LR article is good, but you'll have to really find something you think is interesting and invest the time in it.
Many do (usually through a law school externship program, but sometimes not).
Oh, cool. I think OP should definitely look into that, then. It's probably as close to a research-and-writing job as OP can get (though perhaps not 100% research and writing), it looks pretty good on a resume, and the connections made during an externship could lead to a clerkship after graduation. (Although, some judges don't hire externs as clerks, so keep that in mind.)

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:01 pm

If you can afford it, try to intern for a judge even if it's just part time. You won't get paid but you'll get close to the same experience as a clerk. I did an internship and an externship during law school and I think they helped me get my clerkship.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”