When to "Finalize" OSCAR Applications? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

When to "Finalize" OSCAR Applications?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:07 pm

Gauging the community to see when it's ideal and appropriate to "finalize" applications on OSCAR, even when all your LORs haven't been uploaded. Will the clerks/judge not even consider calling someone in for an interview without a complete package that contains all the letters of rec? Or will an incomplete package hurt me when it's first reviewed? I understand it's probably different among various chambers.

Reason I ask is that I waited to finalize an application a few days ago and the position suddenly was filled today--weeks before the listed closing date, and I didn't finalize my application because I was waiting for my final LOR to be uploaded. It probably wasn't going to make a difference in this particular case but I would like to know for future reference.

I guess I'm considering, moving forward, to "strike when the iron's hot" and finalize a package ASAP when the judge first opens up the application, because it seems like days can make a difference. Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been answered before.

Anonymous User

Re: When to "Finalize" OSCAR Applications?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:52 pm

In my prior chamber, you would have been fine submitting if the only thing missing from your application was one letter. That said, if we called you in for an interview and the letter had not come in by the time of the interview, the missing letter would have (1) counted against you if all other things were equal between you and another candidate or (2) if you were the top candidate, we'd give you a little time to get the last letter in, but not too much time unless the other two letters were fantastic and we were able to talk with one of your letter writers.

Either way, with how quickly positions fill, I'd say "finalize" if you are only missing a letter. The number of judges who will fill their positions before the last letter comes in will probably exceed the number of judge's who will auto-reject your application for missing a letter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:In my prior chamber, you would have been fine submitting if the only thing missing from your application was one letter. That said, if we called you in for an interview and the letter had not come in by the time of the interview, the missing letter would have (1) counted against you if all other things were equal between you and another candidate or (2) if you were the top candidate, we'd give you a little time to get the last letter in, but not too much time unless the other two letters were fantastic and we were able to talk with one of your letter writers.

Either way, with how quickly positions fill, I'd say "finalize" if you are only missing a letter. The number of judges who will fill their positions before the last letter comes in will probably exceed the number of judge's who will auto-reject your application for missing a letter.
Not OP but what if I'm missing a few grades? Should I wait or submit anyway?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:54 am

Whether to submit without all grades depends on (1) what year you are in (no for a 1L imo); (2) how strong your existing grades are and what non-core classes you have grades for; and (3) the specific requirements and hiring history of the judge to whom you are applying. If the judge requires three semesters of grades and not all of them are in, I think you're probably wasting an application.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”