Laying Groundwork for Mid-Career Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Laying Groundwork for Mid-Career Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:35 am

'17 grad, current D.Ct. clerk. I've accepted a public interest litigation job in the mid-Atlantic beginning next year. I expect to leave the city where that job is located after about 2-3 years and relocate to Boston for family reasons. I'd really like to do an appellate clerkship, and the timing lines up pretty well with a mid-career clerkship. What should I be doing now - asking profs to update LoRs? developing a writing sample? racking up publications? Mid-career clerks, what do you wish you'd known at this juncture?

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Re: Laying Groundwork for Mid-Career Clerkship

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:36 pm

You should really just be applying. Most Circuit hiring is for the 19-20 or 20-21 term already.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:02 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:You should really just be applying. Most Circuit hiring is for the 19-20 or 20-21 term already.
Yeah, this. At this point, you're basically already applying for 2-3 years out. I was sort of in the same boat with wanting to do an appellate clerkship after being out a few years in practice, but I started that process too late. At this point even if a judge hired me, I'd be like a fucking 8th or 9th year or something by the time I started that clerkship.... not a great point in my career to take like a 75% hit to compensation and then not necessarily know if I'll even have a job after the clerkship year. So I've given up on it. But YOU still have time if you start now!

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:44 pm

Keep applying every year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”