State court clerkship cover letter Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

State court clerkship cover letter

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:00 pm

Hi all, extreme noob question here. I never previously considered clerking but am now sending out a couple apps, basically at the last minute. I sat down to write a cover letter and realized I don't know how these are supposed to be at all. Like I don't even know how to write the first sentence - "I'm applying for a clerkship with your chambers" or "with your office" or "with your honor" or what. Then I don't know what to write for the second sentence - "I'm excited for the opportunity to clerk"? Can anyone point me to some templates or guides for this sort of thing before I totally embarrass myself? Thanks!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: State court clerkship cover letter

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:05 pm

This isn’t mean to sound snarky at all, but seriously, google “clerkship cover letters” and you should get a lot of examples from different law schools’ web pages. Err on the side of short/minimal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:08 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:This isn’t mean to sound snarky at all, but seriously, google “clerkship cover letters” and you should get a lot of examples from different law schools’ web pages. Err on the side of short/minimal.
Haha no snark taken. There wasn't anything useful on my school's site but yes, google should have been my second stop. Thanks!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:25 pm

Not this: https://abovethelaw.com/2013/05/how-not ... er-letter/

But yeah, for most candidates most of the time, short and sweet is the way to go (and what you say doesn't matter very much).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”