condescending fellow clerks Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:42 pm

Quichelorraine wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hello all,

I am currently doing a clerkship. There are several clerks in my courthouse. A couple are HYS (or whatever the acronym is) and I felt that they're incredibly condescending to me.
I know you said "HYS," but out of curiosity: is it one school among them in particular? Because during my COA clerkship year, the condescension flowed freely from one main offender and much less so from the other two...
I am curious as well. See, while it could be a misunderstanding, there are definitely law school cultures, that at least loosely apply. As someone who came from a much less than glittering background, I can say that yes, I have been treated very differently by people at one of those schools than at the others. And at least in my case, I think everyone can guess which school that is. I'm sure there are bad people at every school, but it seems to me that one has a higher number than the others.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:44 pm

Feel free to admit that it's only the HLS clerk being condescending

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:04 pm

This was already hinted at earlier but: if y'all are 2017 law school graduates, none of you know shit about anything. First year associates at firms get knocked down real quick. I would imagine for clerking it just takes a little longer.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:10 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
lavarman84 wrote: I'm not seeing it. As a person who was on a journal, I'd tell them they made the right move.
I didn't pull that example out of thin air. It's something that I was "kindly made aware of" during my 2L summer.
lavarman84 wrote: It really doesn't take much effort to be a normal person and treat people right. If you feel you have to walk on eggshells because you will upset the other clerks (who are also going to have stellar credentials), you are doing so because you think you are superior, and that's the problem.
You might also be doing so because you've accidentally offended some people by failing to frame your lack of journal participation in the correct terms. Once one is aware of these things then they're easy to navigate. I agree that walking on eggshells can be a sign of a superiority complex. I'm just trying to point out that it might also be an attempt at kindness. But perhaps that too is suspect.

The main point is that all new grads are insecure and that everyone should show grace to one another at the margins.
Well, I'd just avoid whoever made you aware of it. You gotta have some major insecurity issues to be offended over that.

Maybe I overestimate lawyers when I assume they aren't sensitive about everything.
This isn't really intended to bust your balls, but haven't you previously pretty much described yourself as arrogant/apparently not sensitive about anything? I don't think you should apply your own standards to everyone. How can (many) lawyers not be sensitive to this kind of thing when they spend three years being ranked against each other and competing for jobs based on those rankings? I think the journal example is a really good one of how different expectations at different schools can lead to sort of tone issues.

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Quichelorraine wrote:

I am currently doing a clerkship. There are several clerks in my courthouse. A couple are HYS (or whatever the acronym is) and I felt that they're incredibly condescending to me.
I know you said "HYS," but out of curiosity: is it one school among them in particular? Because during my COA clerkship year, the condescension flowed freely from one main offender and much less so from the other two...
I am curious as well. See, while it could be a misunderstanding, there are definitely law school cultures, that at least loosely apply. As someone who came from a much less than glittering background, I can say that yes, I have been treated very differently by people at one of those schools than at the others. And at least in my case, I think everyone can guess which school that is. I'm sure there are bad people at every school, but it seems to me that one has a higher number than the others.
Everyone knows it's H. Harvard grads are always the most insufferable when it comes to prestige whoring. It's rarely happened that I assumed a law student / lawyer went to Harvard from the way they behaved and they didn't.
Last edited by Mr. Blackacre on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:10 pm

I am currently doing a clerkship. There are several clerks in my courthouse. A couple are HYS (or whatever the acronym is) and I felt that they're incredibly condescending to me. I graduated at a high ranking at my T1 school and fortunately got a clerkship (which was always my goal). I was afraid it was just me being paranoid (imposter syndrome), but my co-clerk brought up how condescending they were to me. How do I respond? Should I speak up? Should I just not deal with it and play the long game? Let them realize it.

My original plan was just to not engage. but my co-clerk said something that got me thinking.

This is also a warning to all of you to keep it humble and check yourself. Don't be a jerk.
Quit being a loser and be condescending back.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:57 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
lavarman84 wrote: I'm not seeing it. As a person who was on a journal, I'd tell them they made the right move.
I didn't pull that example out of thin air. It's something that I was "kindly made aware of" during my 2L summer.
lavarman84 wrote: It really doesn't take much effort to be a normal person and treat people right. If you feel you have to walk on eggshells because you will upset the other clerks (who are also going to have stellar credentials), you are doing so because you think you are superior, and that's the problem.
You might also be doing so because you've accidentally offended some people by failing to frame your lack of journal participation in the correct terms. Once one is aware of these things then they're easy to navigate. I agree that walking on eggshells can be a sign of a superiority complex. I'm just trying to point out that it might also be an attempt at kindness. But perhaps that too is suspect.

The main point is that all new grads are insecure and that everyone should show grace to one another at the margins.
Well, I'd just avoid whoever made you aware of it. You gotta have some major insecurity issues to be offended over that.

Maybe I overestimate lawyers when I assume they aren't sensitive about everything.
This isn't really intended to bust your balls, but haven't you previously pretty much described yourself as arrogant/apparently not sensitive about anything? I don't think you should apply your own standards to everyone. How can (many) lawyers not be sensitive to this kind of thing when they spend three years being ranked against each other and competing for jobs based on those rankings? I think the journal example is a really good one of how different expectations at different schools can lead to sort of tone issues.
To some degree. There are a few things that I am sensitive about (I think that's true of everyone), but I am arrogant and very content with myself. I guess I shouldn't apply my own standards to everyone. Problem is that I see things from my own POV, so it's not something I really recognize until someone explains it. But I am being unfair here since people tried explaining it. It's just hard for me to understand why someone might feel threatened by those things. IMO, that's projecting your own insecurities on someone else. Just be happy with whom you are. If you're an Art. III clerk, you're obviously an impressive individual.

Anyways, you're right. I'm not being very empathetic here. I should be more understanding of why it might be challenging.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:23 am

Every year, NYU Law hosts a judicial clerkship event where past and current clerks make themselves available to network with students.

And every year, the 2d Circuit clerks huddle around each other in a tight circle formation and refuse to speak with anybody.

I have no idea why the hell they bother showing up if they literally physically exclude other people.

What I'm trying to say is, those people are mentally-ill; don't let them get you down, even if their weird and irrational behavior drives you nuts.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:17 pm

lavarman84 wrote:To some degree. There are a few things that I am sensitive about (I think that's true of everyone), but I am arrogant and very content with myself. I guess I shouldn't apply my own standards to everyone. Problem is that I see things from my own POV, so it's not something I really recognize until someone explains it. But I am being unfair here since people tried explaining it. It's just hard for me to understand why someone might feel threatened by those things. IMO, that's projecting your own insecurities on someone else. Just be happy with whom you are. If you're an Art. III clerk, you're obviously an impressive individual.

Anyways, you're right. I'm not being very empathetic here. I should be more understanding of why it might be challenging.
Don't worry, I'm the same way. (And my girlfriend is the exact opposite; that might be the only reason why I'm a little more understanding about these issues being potentially challenging for people.) :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:38 pm

I was an AIII clerk and I am not really that impressive at all. :lol: and I generally agree that this isn't something to obsess over (like the answer to the question is definitely "Harvard"). Also, I don't care if someone did or didn't do journal. But coming from a school where there's good reason to fight to get on LR to maximize your chances at the higher end jobs, I can see if someone from HYS said "oh I decided not to do journal," you might have the gut reaction "must be nice to be at a school where you don't have to do LR to get this job." I don't think it would bother me, personally, unless the other person was otherwise snooty, but I can see it having an effect the speaker didn't intend.

Also re: condescending clerks: I was at clerk orientation for my (beloved but considered by many to be) flyover district, and it included a panel of judges talking about clerky stuff. One of the circuit court clerks said to the person next to them, "it's cute they let the non-AIII judges take part in this."

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:43 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:One of the circuit court clerks said to the person next to them, "it's cute they let the non-AIII judges take part in this."
that is unreal

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:37 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:But coming from a school where there's good reason to fight to get on LR to maximize your chances at the higher end jobs, I can see if someone from HYS said "oh I decided not to do journal," you might have the gut reaction "must be nice to be at a school where you don't have to do LR to get this job." I don't think it would bother me, personally, unless the other person was otherwise snooty, but I can see it having an effect the speaker didn't intend.
Actually I think you see examples of this kind of stuff on TLS every so often especially in the LE forum. Like the post starts off "I'm xxx at a t6 school and xxx yyy zzz" and I get to the end of the post and just want to flip off the kid. :p
Also re: condescending clerks: I was at clerk orientation for my (beloved but considered by many to be) flyover district, and it included a panel of judges talking about clerky stuff. One of the circuit court clerks said to the person next to them, "it's cute they let the non-AIII judges take part in this."
Wao.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:56 pm

Yeah, it's where a lot of the comments about humblebragging come from, I think.

And yeah, everyone was FLOORED by that dude. I hope he was trying to make some completely different kind of joke and it just came out wrong, but...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Quichelorraine

Bronze

Post by Quichelorraine » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:23 pm

grand inquisitor wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:One of the circuit court clerks said to the person next to them, "it's cute they let the non-AIII judges take part in this."
that is unreal
Hah. To me it sounds far from unreal. I heard comments like that directed at the Mags and their clerks constantly. It was disgusting (especially coming from District Court clerks; dude, you know that the Mag does basically all of the work in the case before it gets handed to you on a little dispositive silver platter, right?).

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:42 pm

I would be shocked to actually hear something like that but when you think about it it's really not surprising at all that the most selective jobs in this profession are filled with terrible human beings.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:30 pm

los blancos wrote:I would be shocked to actually hear something like that but when you think about it it's really not surprising at all that the most selective jobs in this profession are filled with terrible human beings.
I'll never forget the top student in my 1L class at a T20. He transferred to HLS. I can only hope that he brought his mechanical keyboard into those exams too.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:55 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I was an AIII clerk and I am not really that impressive at all. :lol: and I generally agree that this isn't something to obsess over (like the answer to the question is definitely "Harvard"). Also, I don't care if someone did or didn't do journal. But coming from a school where there's good reason to fight to get on LR to maximize your chances at the higher end jobs, I can see if someone from HYS said "oh I decided not to do journal," you might have the gut reaction "must be nice to be at a school where you don't have to do LR to get this job." I don't think it would bother me, personally, unless the other person was otherwise snooty, but I can see it having an effect the speaker didn't intend.

I don't believe that, Nony. You may not have out of this world credentials on paper (or you might, I don't know), but I'm sure the judge saw something in you that was incredibly impressive to him (or her). :)
Last edited by lavarman84 on Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:58 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I was an AIII clerk and I am not really that impressive at all. :lol: and I generally agree that this isn't something to obsess over (like the answer to the question is definitely "Harvard"). Also, I don't care if someone did or didn't do journal. But coming from a school where there's good reason to fight to get on LR to maximize your chances at the higher end jobs, I can see if someone from HYS said "oh I decided not to do journal," you might have the gut reaction "must be nice to be at a school where you don't have to do LR to get this job." I don't think it would bother me, personally, unless the other person was otherwise snooty, but I can see it having an effect the speaker didn't intend.

I don't believe that, Nony. You may not have out of this world credentials on paper (or you might, I don't know), but I'm sure the judge saw something in you that was incredibly impressive to him. :)
All I can say is that you should always put "TLS MOD" at the top of your resume. You wouldn't believe how many doors that will open.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:59 pm

Quichelorraine wrote:
grand inquisitor wrote:
that is unreal
Hah. To me it sounds far from unreal. I heard comments like that directed at the Mags and their clerks constantly. It was disgusting (especially coming from District Court clerks; dude, you know that the Mag does basically all of the work in the case before it gets handed to you on a little dispositive silver platter, right?).
That's really too bad. The Mag clerks at my courthouse are all smart and kind people, and the Mag judges are all very likable and kind people. I'll never understand what possesses people to act that way.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:07 pm

So we're all coming around to my position that, by and large, clerks are lemons?

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:09 pm

Nebby wrote:So we're all coming around to my position that, by and large, clerks are lemons?
Well they're largely from HLS and Williams, so I don't know why anyone would expect otherwise.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:09 pm

Nebby wrote:So we're all coming around to my position that, by and large, clerks are lemons?
NO. Go away Nebby.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:11 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Quichelorraine wrote:
grand inquisitor wrote:
that is unreal
That's really too bad. The Mag clerks at my courthouse are all smart and kind people, and the Mag judges are all very likable and kind people. I'll never understand what possesses people to act that way.
In my case, it was especially dumb because the mag judge on the panel was like the smartest woman ever who basically made the whole courthouse function. And yeah, all the mag clerks I know are super smart people. It's just pointless snottiness.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:12 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Well they're largely from HLS and Williams, so I don't know why anyone would expect otherwise.
BANNED

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:13 pm

okay not really

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”