condescending fellow clerks

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
#MAGA
Posts: 16036
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:14 pm

Love you too Nony.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302922
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:25 pm

You know part of it might be unintentional also. In my courthouse, mag clerks often inadvertently get left off the happy hour emails. It's not bc the district clerks are trying to be snobbish-- it's just that we inherited a list serv from previous clerks and whoever updated it was too lazy to add the mags (there's a ton of them, so somewhat excusable I suppose).

User avatar
radio1nowhere
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby radio1nowhere » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:28 pm

Can we get more about how HLS grads suck

User avatar
kellyfrost
Posts: 6035
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby kellyfrost » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:48 pm

If I was a clerk and a fellow clerk was condescending towards me, I'd whoop their ass.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1813
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:53 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:Can we get more about how HLS grads suck

sadly, titcr

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1511
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:19 pm

Every HLS grad I know realizes it was a mistake not to go to a T14 for a free ride/huge aid and is angry.

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby quiver » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:23 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote:Can we get more about how HLS grads suck

sadly, titcr
In my experience, YLS grads are far and away more snooty, condescending, and entitled than any group of people I've ever met. There are individual exceptions, but they are few and far between.

But yes, OP, just ignore them. If they're not your co-clerks, they're easily avoided.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302922
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:39 pm

quiver wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote:Can we get more about how HLS grads suck

sadly, titcr
In my experience, YLS grads are far and away more snooty, condescending, and entitled than any group of people I've ever met. There are individual exceptions, but they are few and far between.

But yes, OP, just ignore them. If they're not your co-clerks, they're easily avoided.


Sounds a lot like an HLS student/grad. The HLS clerks in my (2/9/DC) court are some of the most prestige-obsessed people I've met, whereas the YLS kids are just derpy lol.

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby quiver » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
quiver wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote:Can we get more about how HLS grads suck

sadly, titcr
In my experience, YLS grads are far and away more snooty, condescending, and entitled than any group of people I've ever met. There are individual exceptions, but they are few and far between.

But yes, OP, just ignore them. If they're not your co-clerks, they're easily avoided.


Sounds a lot like an HLS student/grad. The HLS clerks in my (2/9/DC) court are some of the most prestige-obsessed people I've met, whereas the YLS kids are just derpy lol.
FWIW, I did not go to HLS.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1802
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby ggocat » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:22 pm

Jumping on the HLS vs. YLS bandwagon. I've only worked with one YLS and one HLS grad, but can confirm the YLS grad was SUPER awkward, but not condescending at all, while the HLS grad was definitely snooty (though not really condescending... just, one of those guys who bikes everywhere and is super annoyed that more people in Manhattan don't tweet enough about "biker's rights" or whatever).

hlsperson1111
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby hlsperson1111 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:15 pm

For whatever it's worth, my experience has been that most SLS grads are remarkably well-adjusted and personable and that most YLS grads are nerdy and awkward but generally nice. I, like many of you, also thought most of my classmates at HLS were obnoxious in one way or another.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302922
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:00 pm

Adding to the anecdotal data here: during my post-1L job in New York, I mentioned to a fellow 1L associate (who was from YLS) that I was from "Michigan." He kind of nodded and just drifted off. A few days later, he came up to me and told me, "oh, when you said 'Michigan' I thought you meant Michigan State, I didn't realize you actually went to U of Michigan."

He then explained to me that he was a Michigan local, where the lingo apparently is that you say "U Mich" to refer to that law school and just "Michigan" to refer to that one. And he was then a little more friendly towards me. I guess being in the T14 really helped me out there. SO glad that got cleared up.

User avatar
nevdash
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:01 pm

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby nevdash » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:49 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
los blancos wrote:I would be shocked to actually hear something like that but when you think about it it's really not surprising at all that the most selective jobs in this profession are filled with terrible human beings.


I'll never forget the top student in my 1L class at a T20. He transferred to HLS. I can only hope that he brought his mechanical keyboard into those exams too.

Dude, that's alpha as fuck. Did he go out to eat afterwards and order some sizzling fajitas?

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 20486
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby star fox » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:02 pm

So are immediate post-grad Clerkships just like a fourth year of Law School or what?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28734
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:17 pm

In what way? You have to get up every day and go to work 9-5 (or more) so not really like law school.

User avatar
KissMyAxe
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:01 pm

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby KissMyAxe » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:22 pm

nevdash wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
los blancos wrote:I would be shocked to actually hear something like that but when you think about it it's really not surprising at all that the most selective jobs in this profession are filled with terrible human beings.


I'll never forget the top student in my 1L class at a T20. He transferred to HLS. I can only hope that he brought his mechanical keyboard into those exams too.

Dude, that's alpha as fuck. Did he go out to eat afterwards and order some sizzling fajitas?


Dude, you know you feel like a boss when they walk out with those fajitas and everyone's staring.

Also, just wanted to jump in and say that in my experience, the stereotypes are pretty much true for the most part. YLS students are extremely socially awkward and inept. Columbia students are stressed out, humorless, and overworked. SLS students are flower-children. And HLS students are condescending asses. The moral of this story is that law students pretty much suck.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1802
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby ggocat » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:44 pm

star fox wrote:So are immediate post-grad Clerkships just like a fourth year of Law School or what?

For appellate at least, it's a fourth year with one class of legal research and writing, all day err day.

User avatar
lavarman84
#MAGA
Posts: 7485
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby lavarman84 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:25 am

star fox wrote:So are immediate post-grad Clerkships just like a fourth year of Law School or what?


I wish. Not at all.

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1511
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:19 am

I have heard of clerks being very condescending about proper Bluebook format, which is lol

User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 30506
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby Nebby » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:24 am

I think I've come to the conclusion that if anyone actually wants a clerkship experience that will make them a better litigator, they should clerk for a mag. They see all the real action.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28734
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:26 am

Nebby wrote:I think I've come to the conclusion that if anyone actually wants a clerkship experience that will make them a better litigator, they should clerk for a mag. They see all the real action.

But rarely trials.

User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 30506
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby Nebby » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:52 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Nebby wrote:I think I've come to the conclusion that if anyone actually wants a clerkship experience that will make them a better litigator, they should clerk for a mag. They see all the real action.

But rarely trials.

True! Because trials are so common in most people's practice :mrgreen:

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28734
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:57 am

Nebby wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Nebby wrote:I think I've come to the conclusion that if anyone actually wants a clerkship experience that will make them a better litigator, they should clerk for a mag. They see all the real action.

But rarely trials.

True! Because trials are so common in most people's practice :mrgreen:

For some of us they are.

User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 30506
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby Nebby » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:59 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Nebby wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Nebby wrote:I think I've come to the conclusion that if anyone actually wants a clerkship experience that will make them a better litigator, they should clerk for a mag. They see all the real action.

But rarely trials.

True! Because trials are so common in most people's practice :mrgreen:

For some of us they are.

I said most people!

User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 30506
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Postby Nebby » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:00 am

What does a d clerk get that they can't if they just went and watched trials?




Return to “Judicial Clerkships”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.