2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
BulletTooth

Bronze

Re: 2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Postby BulletTooth » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any action on Keker or Willenkin?

From Keker's website: "We will begin considering applications in February 2018 from federal judicial clerks for fall 2018 associate employment. California bar preferred. Principals only." (https://www.keker.com/careers/hiring/Associate-Hiring). I have no idea whether they're actually abiding by this--I would imagine they would consider someone's application before then if they had a reason for doing so.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:57 pm

How do you guys apply to firms without a distinct Post-Clerkship application process? Do you just email the recruiting contacts?

TEIAM

Bronze

Postby TEIAM » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you guys apply to firms without a distinct Post-Clerkship application process? Do you just email the recruiting contacts?

Yes. NALP provides some info re: when they accept applications. If I cannot find specific recruiting contacts for clerks, I send it to the email listed on NALP.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:12 pm

TEIAM wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do you guys apply to firms without a distinct Post-Clerkship application process? Do you just email the recruiting contacts?

Yes. NALP provides some info re: when they accept applications. If I cannot find specific recruiting contacts for clerks, I send it to the email listed on NALP.

Where is this info on NALP?

TEIAM

Bronze

Postby TEIAM » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:22 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
TEIAM wrote:

Where is this info on NALP?

On the "Recruiting & Hiring" tab under "Post-Clerkship Hiring."

For example: https://nalpdirectory.com/employer_profile?FormID=8266&QuestionTabID=38&SearchCondJSON=%7B%22SearchEmployerName%22%3A%22jones%20day%22%7D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:41 pm

Quinn just sent an email blast for a cocktail reception for NY and Boston offices

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Quinn just sent an email blast for a cocktail reception for NY and Boston offices

Can you share more info about this? Did they say they were gonna start actively recruiting people for their Boston office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:43 am

Can we talk about how awful these generic ding emails are? I mean, don't get me wrong, they are better than ghosting, but not much...

"We are unable to (read: unwilling to) grant you an interview at this time, but we want you to know that, like, you are so super smart with your super smart credentials that were so super impressive. We wish you the best of luck with your legal career (despite the fact that firms like ours are the reason you are having bad luck with your legal career)... sincerely, Yalesnobs & Silverspoon LLP."

ugh.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can we talk about how awful these generic ding emails are? I mean, don't get me wrong, they are better than ghosting, but not much...

"We are unable to (read: unwilling to) grant you an interview at this time, but we want you to know that, like, you are so super smart with your super smart credentials that were so super impressive. We wish you the best of luck with your legal career (despite the fact that firms like ours are the reason you are having bad luck with your legal career)... sincerely, Yalesnobs & Silverspoon LLP."

ugh.

For those getting these ding emails, to what extent do we think they’re coming because the firm actually doesn’t have the capacity to hire at the office to which you’re applying and just wants to make it seem like you’re not good enough to make themselves look better? In other words, isn’t it arguably to the firm’s advantage to say on their site and NALP that they will hire former clerks (ie that they’re successful enough that they have the bandwidth $$ to do so), even in a situation where they aren’t?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:08 pm

Kellogg just sent recruitment letters to the circuit clerks in our building but not the district clerks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kellogg just sent recruitment letters to the circuit clerks in our building but not the district clerks.

Haha, small town district clerk here. This type of thing brings a smile to my face and makes me chuckle every time I hear it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:16 pm

Yeah Jones Day is holding a clerkship reception in NYC but didn't invite the bankruptcy clerks. Weird because Jones Day has one of the biggest bankruptcy groups in the country.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Kellogg just sent recruitment letters to the circuit clerks in our building but not the district clerks.

Haha, small town district clerk here. This type of thing brings a smile to my face and makes me chuckle every time I hear it.

LOL it's kind of funny. (I won't lie I'm a bit bitter.) That being said my court is in one of the largest cities in the country, and many (most?) of us are actually moving on to circuit clerkships anyway so I'm not sure it makes much sense for them to discriminate like this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Why? I'll be clerking in a flyover district next year so genuinely curious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Flyover districts don't get nearly as much love from firms' recruiting. They all want 2/9/DC or SDNY/NDCA/CDCA/DDC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Flyover districts don't get nearly as much love from firms' recruiting. They all want 2/9/DC or SDNY/NDCA/CDCA/DDC.

SDNY clerk here still waiting for my Kellogg recruitment letter...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

what letters have you guys gotten?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I just got the letter, a couple days after my co-clerks, so I was starting to think they were doing some sort of weird targeting. It’s pretty standard and doesn’t tell you anything you can’t find online—I’m sure D. Ct. clerks can go ahead and apply and have the same tiny shot at hearing back. (The letter points out towards the top that they have hired 40 SCOTUS clerks...)

TEIAM

Bronze

Postby TEIAM » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

LOL it's kind of funny. (I won't lie I'm a bit bitter.) That being said my court is in one of the largest cities in the country, and many (most?) of us are actually moving on to circuit clerkships anyway so I'm not sure it makes much sense for them to discriminate like this.

There is absolutely no reason to be bitter. If they didn't send it to your chambers, you probably didn't have a shot anyway. The events I have attended did not require an invite anyway. Just get the info, drink the free booze, eat the free hors d'oeuvres, and peace out. Sulking really isn't going to get you anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

what letters have you guys gotten?

Literally every other firm you can think of that is having a reception or otherwise is in the market for clerks. The letter might be late, idk. Just thought I'd point it out for any other district court clerks feeling slighted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:17 pm

I'm pretty sure Kellogg is only targeting circuit clerks. CA2 clerks have gotten the letter, so if SDNY hasn't by now, they probably won't.

I also doubt it's a stats thing, my co-clerk and I are both moving on to (non-flyover) circuit clerkships and are right in line gradeswise for what Kellogg wants, but no letter in our chambers either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Quinn just sent an email blast for a cocktail reception for NY and Boston offices

Can you share more info about this? Did they say they were gonna start actively recruiting people for their Boston office?

Just a "come talk with lawyers from our New York and Boston offices" cocktail hour thing

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:22 pm

Movement at Yalesnobs and Silverspoon LLP

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Been clerking in a flyover since August of last year, and I've received a total of one recruitment letter during that time. You'll definitely have to hustle more to get interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Movement at Yalesnobs and Silverspoon LLP

I enjoyed this post

Return to “Judicial Clerkships?