2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten an offer from Winston & Strawn yet?
Bump. Anyone hear anything yet?
Still nothing. Anyone else?
Bump. Is there still Winston silence out there? I had a CB almost two weeks ago, no idea if the silence from them is normal or not.

I'd also be curious to hear about O'Melveny, Sidley, Jones Day, Arnold or Wilmer. I'd submitted applications in early March but so far, radio silence.

Anyone hear anything from Arnold & Porter in NY?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bump. Is there still Winston silence out there? I had a CB almost two weeks ago, no idea if the silence from them is normal or not.

I'd also be curious to hear about O'Melveny, Sidley, Jones Day, Arnold or Wilmer. I'd submitted applications in early March but so far, radio silence.

Haven't heard anything post-screener; They seem to be moving slow.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

But you did have a screener? May I ask when, and when you submitted your app?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

But you did have a screener? May I ask when, and when you submitted your app?
I did - Sometime in March and my application was submitted at the end of January.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:17 pm

Which Winston office did you interview with? Have you heard of anyone getting offers or rejections from them yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:33 pm

Anyone hear anything from Arnold & Porter in NY?[/quote]

Haven't heard anything post-screener; They seem to be moving slow.[/quote]

But you did have a screener? May I ask when, and when you submitted your app?[/quote]

I did - Sometime in March and my application was submitted at the end of January.[/quote]

Got it. Thanks for the info, and good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:28 am

post CB ding from C&B CA office :cry:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:57 am

Nobody has had offers or rejections from Winston & Strawn yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:45 pm

Just got a rejection from Winston and Strawn. I thought it was really odd because my interview went better than any interview I've ever had, and I'd gotten offers from other firms. The hiring partner did tell me during lunch that the firm was unaware of its current hiring needs, but liked my resume and was interested in hiring a clerk. So, I'm wondering if the rejection was more of a need issue than fit issue.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a rejection from Winston and Strawn. I thought it was really odd because my interview went better than any interview I've ever had, and I'd gotten offers from other firms. The hiring partner did tell me during lunch that the firm was unaware of its current hiring needs, but liked my resume and was interested in hiring a clerk. So, I'm wondering if the rejection was more of a need issue than fit issue.
I had a couple of similar experiences. Most offices are probably only hiring 1 or 2 or maybe 3 clerks maximum. You never know who else was interviewing and how many interviews they did or how close the decision was, just that you didn't get the offer. Oh well, that's why you can't get too attached to any one place before you get an offer. Sorry to hear it and congrats on the other offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got a rejection from Winston and Strawn. I thought it was really odd because my interview went better than any interview I've ever had, and I'd gotten offers from other firms. The hiring partner did tell me during lunch that the firm was unaware of its current hiring needs, but liked my resume and was interested in hiring a clerk. So, I'm wondering if the rejection was more of a need issue than fit issue.
I had a couple of similar experiences. Most offices are probably only hiring 1 or 2 or maybe 3 clerks maximum. You never know who else was interviewing and how many interviews they did or how close the decision was, just that you didn't get the offer. Oh well, that's why you can't get too attached to any one place before you get an offer. Sorry to hear it and congrats on the other offers.
Does this mean they've probably already issued offers? Or first round offers? Is there much hope for those of us who haven't heard back yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:36 pm

Do you mind saying which office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Does this mean they've probably already issued offers? Or first round offers? Is there much hope for those of us who haven't heard back yet?
Poster you responded to here. Was not talking Winston & Strawn specifically. Sorry didn't mean to mislead you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Do you mind saying which office?
Seconded. Was it Chicago? New York?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:58 pm

If silence for two months from a firm after a callback, does that mean that you're out? I reached out to HR a month ago, but no response. So strange.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If silence for two months from a firm after a callback, does that mean that you're out? I reached out to HR a month ago, but no response. So strange.
I'm afraid that probably is what it means, but that is incredibly classless by the firm. Some really "top firms" do not do the bare minimum in terms of communication with candidates and it is baffling and unprofessional.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:28 pm

ding from Arnold & Porter NY post-callback! I have accepted an offer at another firm that was discussed here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:18 pm

Anybody have any interviews or rejections with Alston & Bird, either Atlanta or NY?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:53 pm

So I accepted an offer with a firm and am going through the conflicts check now. On my conflicts form, there are a couple cases that I listed as a conflict because the firm represents someone on the case.

I got an email from the conflicts attorney saying they need to follow up about these cases. Should I be worried?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:13 pm

If you accepted an offer from the firm where you summered, but are now jumping to another firm, what did you tell your first firm? Might be in this position next year and nervous about how/when to discuss with them.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you accepted an offer from the firm where you summered, but are now jumping to another firm, what did you tell your first firm? Might be in this position next year and nervous about how/when to discuss with them.
I think it depends a little on the firm and office. For me, it was a V20, with a big office, with a big summer associate class. I politely informed the recruiting person that I had accepted a position elsewhere, then reached out to a few associates that I had a relationship with to let them know personally. With that kind of office for that kind of firm, it's nbd. They know their summers have options and many will never come back. Were it a smaller office or a smaller firm, I wouldn't have approached it this way.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

arez

New

Post by arez » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:08 pm

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you accepted an offer from the firm where you summered, but are now jumping to another firm, what did you tell your first firm? Might be in this position next year and nervous about how/when to discuss with them.
I think it depends a little on the firm and office. For me, it was a V20, with a big office, with a big summer associate class. I politely informed the recruiting person that I had accepted a position elsewhere, then reached out to a few associates that I had a relationship with to let them know personally. With that kind of office for that kind of firm, it's nbd. They know their summers have options and many will never come back. Were it a smaller office or a smaller firm, I wouldn't have approached it this way.
Curious about this also and specifically with regard to how paying back any stipends/bar expenses was handled. Also is notifying someone in HR sufficient or should you also email hiring partner?

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:00 pm

arez wrote:
BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
Curious about this also and specifically with regard to how paying back any stipends/bar expenses was handled. Also is notifying someone in HR sufficient or should you also email hiring partner?
I couldn't say re: stipend and bar expenses because of a policy of my judge. I wouldn't reach out to the hiring partner unless I had a relationship with him or it was a smaller office or firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:17 pm

I saw (several posts up) people referring to Arnold & Porter screeners and callbacks. What's the difference for us clerks? Aren't all of these interviews callbacks? Or does A & P have two or more rounds?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:20 pm

It looks like I may have struck out. I have had so many callbacks with firms from a flyover DC. It doesn't look like anything is panning out. I don't know what to do at this point... I still have a few to hear back from, but given the length of time it doesn't look good. I also have some more coming up, but if the past ones didn't go well it's hard to imagine these few left will go any better. How do we keep up hope? I'm running out of time and places to apply to.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”