2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:6 CBs sounds real promising. Relatedly, what are y'all doing to get all these callbacks? Just cold emailing, knowing someone at the firm, other?

I'm not sure I understand your question. To get callbacks, clearly do well during the preliminary interview...
I've had 5 CBs, none of which started with a screener. At the clerkship stage, I assumed straight to CB was the norm...

Every interview I have received has come from cold email or applying for an open clerkship/lateral position. I have not leveraged any connections to this point.
Yeah I'm the original poster. I second the part about going straight to callback.
Yes that is what I meant. Thanks for the backup.

What do you mean "I second the part about going straight to callback[?]" Your writing is really confusing...
S/he means that s/he agrees that there are (generally) no screeners for post-clerkship gigs. The writing is not confusing. To "second" something means to agree. This is common parlance.
Yes. That is what I meant. Thank you for the backup.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:04 pm

Looking for a little advice.

I'm a fed appellate clerk with an offer from a great firm (v-15) known for its appellate practice. Recently I received an offer from a state's SG's office. The SG promised me I'd be arguing some of the state's most important appeals in front of the state's supreme court and the fed appellate court by the end of the year. Obviously the money is significantly less, but appellate work is my thing.

I'm pretty tempted by the SG's offer. Am I crazy to turn down biglaw? Would anybody else do this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:6 CBs sounds real promising. Relatedly, what are y'all doing to get all these callbacks? Just cold emailing, knowing someone at the firm, other?

I'm not sure I understand your question. To get callbacks, clearly do well during the preliminary interview...
I've had 5 CBs, none of which started with a screener. At the clerkship stage, I assumed straight to CB was the norm...

Every interview I have received has come from cold email or applying for an open clerkship/lateral position. I have not leveraged any connections to this point.
Yeah I'm the original poster. I second the part about going straight to callback.

What do you mean "I second the part about going straight to callback[?]" Your writing is really confusing...
S/he means that s/he agrees that there are (generally) no screeners for post-clerkship gigs. The writing is not confusing. To "second" something means to agree. This is common parlance.

That's interesting. All of my interviews have required screeners, and so have the interviews taken by other clerks here. What firms have been going straight to in-office interviews?

New

Post by 20181989 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Looking for a little advice.

I'm a fed appellate clerk with an offer from a great firm (v-15) known for its appellate practice. Recently I received an offer from a state's SG's office. The SG promised me I'd be arguing some of the state's most important appeals in front of the state's supreme court and the fed appellate court by the end of the year. Obviously the money is significantly less, but appellate work is my thing.

I'm pretty tempted by the SG's offer. Am I crazy to turn down biglaw? Would anybody else do this?
No.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:48 pm

Yes, I would turn down an offer from Gibson Dunn to work for my state's SG office.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:11 pm

MVP - Top 1/3 - 2 Years at V50 - Flyover D.Ct Clerkship - started applying this week- dings from PBWT & Cleary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, I would turn down an offer from Gibson Dunn to work for my state's SG office.
I went to a state SG straight from my clerkship, but I know it will be only be for a short period of time for financial reasons. I love it and have had way better experience (I think) than if I had gone to a law firm. If I could afford to make a career of it at this point, I'd be tempted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So...Keker — has anyone be offered an interview or gotten a rejection?
Literal. Silence. I don't know what they are doing, but I am assuming silence at the beginning of their interview season is a bad sign.
Update: Heard about some screeners there, but not me :cry:
Does anyone know about Keker's pay scale vs. hours requirement?
Cravath scale salaries and market bonuses. No formal hours requirement but hours are comparable to other firms in the SF market.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:15 am

Dude, if you don't need the cash to pay down loans right now, why wouldn't you do this? It's extraordinary experience that will set you apart from all but a handful of people in your class year. Short term, yes there's some pain, but in the long term this is the right move if you can at all afford it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:20 pm

Ok about at the full month mark after some callbacks. For those of you who reached out after callbacks, what did you say? Is it only worth doing if you already have an offer in hand? Did anyone find success after doing this without an offer? Is it riskier to reach out (by sounding desperate, annoying, etc.) or to not reach out (they forget about you or think you're not interested)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ok officially at the full month mark after some callbacks. For those of you who reached out after callbacks, what did you say? Is it only worth doing if you already have an offer in hand? Did anyone find success after doing this without an offer? Is it riskier to reach out (by sounding desperate, annoying, etc.) or to not reach out (they forget about you or think you're not interested)?
If you get one offer with a deadline you can use that deadline to let other firms know you are wanted and push them (politely) on timing. Otherwise though it is a lot harder.

But after a month of radio silence I think it would be reasonable to ping recruiting and say "wanted to let you know I remain interested and look forward to hearing from you". I doubt a polite email would change the outcome and might provide you with some clarity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:34 pm

I did a bunch of callback interviews last week. I was told by a few firms that they are "very early in the process" and "won't be making any hiring decisions until late March or April." Based on the vibe I got, I wholly agree with everyone in this thread who has said "no news is good news." Be patient. I have heard of people getting offers at very selective firms (i.e., W&C-level of selectivity) after 10+ weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:08 pm

anyone know whether Wachtell has completed hiring? radio silence for a month and a half

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:33 pm

Anyone know whether firms will give the 70K bonus for a two-year clerkship?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know whether firms will give the 70K bonus for a two-year clerkship?
Varies by firm. Not sure whether there’s enough uniformity to say what the market is

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone know whether Wachtell has completed hiring? radio silence for a month and a half
What? Wachtell hires clerks? Do they consider all clerks or just those who clerked straight out of law school?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone know whether Wachtell has completed hiring? radio silence for a month and a half
What? Wachtell hires clerks? Do they consider all clerks or just those who clerked straight out of law school?
All clerks, but their hiring is likely complete. They don’t take many

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So...Keker — has anyone be offered an interview or gotten a rejection?
Literal. Silence. I don't know what they are doing, but I am assuming silence at the beginning of their interview season is a bad sign.
Update: Heard about some screeners there, but not me :cry:
Does anyone know about Keker's pay scale vs. hours requirement?
Cravath scale salaries and market bonuses. No formal hours requirement but hours are comparable to other firms in the SF market.
Thanks! Do you / does anyone know anything about the interview process? Also, what does "comparable to other firms in the SF market" mean? Something like 2000-2300?

New

Post by 20181989 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:27 pm

Yeah, that's about right for this area. I'd guess KVP folks are somewhere around 2200 median.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:31 pm

Has anybody done a screener or callback with Winston & Strawn this season?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:56 pm

Is anyone else feeling nervous about 2018 fall hiring? I have contemplated a second year of clerking because it seems that many of the biglaw firms are either done with hiring or pretty far along in the process.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:00 pm

Looking for some advice. I realize the market is really tight this year and not many opportunities may still exist, but I received a couple offers and am unsure whether to accept. Both firms pay well (190+ to enter as second year, plus 50+ bonus), but I don't necessarily love the firms. Is it worthwhile to roll the dice? Maybe insight from someone who has been through the process or dealt with a similar situation.

Thank y'all!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Looking for some advice. I realize the market is really tight this year and not many opportunities may still exist, but I received a couple offers and am unsure whether to accept. Both firms pay well (190+ to enter as second year, plus 50+ bonus), but I don't necessarily love the firms. Is it worthwhile to roll the dice? Maybe insight from someone who has been through the process or dealt with a similar situation.

Thank y'all!!!
You should definitely decline both offers to open up spots for the people in here who want a job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:23 pm

20181989 wrote:Yeah, that's about right for this area. I'd guess KVP folks are somewhere around 2200 median.
Cool -- has anyone done a CB with them yet? Would love to hear about what that is like.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Looking for some advice. I realize the market is really tight this year and not many opportunities may still exist, but I received a couple offers and am unsure whether to accept. Both firms pay well (190+ to enter as second year, plus 50+ bonus), but I don't necessarily love the firms. Is it worthwhile to roll the dice? Maybe insight from someone who has been through the process or dealt with a similar situation.

Thank y'all!!!
You should definitely decline both offers to open up spots for the people in here who want a job.

Considering the market as is, I would recommend accepting one of the offers. It seems like many of the major markets (NY, DC, Chicago, Boston, LA) are well underway and many of the top firms are done hiring. I've also heard that some of the top firms in Texas have also started interviewing and offered positions. Congrats! I think being risky is unwise at this point.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”