2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I hope you all land the Fried Frank NY job! It'll help you and me by taking you off the market.

Can anyone touch on the Boston/Chicago markets at this time?

Boston is definitely moving. Circuit clerk here and have had eight interviews and five offers so far. All in the last 2-3 weeks.
Can you name a few of the spots in Boston that did not have postings up for specific lateral spots?
I didn't go through postings so I have no idea who had posted specifically for laterals. Ropes, Goodwin, Jones Day, McDermott, and White and Case are a smattering of the firms that have interviewed thus far.
Can you tell us a bit about your technique? Do you use a recruiter? Do you just find the recruiting contact from the firm and email them your res? Do you tirelessly network and get your stuff submitted internally?

Also, how amazing is your res? Hys? Science background?
Would be interested too. Truly remarkable results.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:00 pm

Dinged by Susman via snail mail. Summered at V5-10 in NY doing lit --> Graduated top ~5% from T10 with honors coif etc. --> D. Ct. clerkship in flyover --> 2/9/DC clerk. Didn't attend any events or leverage any personal connections.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:28 pm

Wait can we get back to the FF soap opera? I was getting excited for people to get offers but now everyones over it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dinged by Susman via snail mail. Summered at V5-10 in NY doing lit --> Graduated top ~5% from T10 with honors coif etc. --> D. Ct. clerkship in flyover --> 2/9/DC clerk. Didn't attend any events or leverage any personal connections.

That's kind of them to at least let you know. I applied, went to all their events, kissed all the ass, and I haven't heard anything back. Of course, my stats aren't anywhere near as impressive as yours, so clearly they thought I was just trolling them and was not worthy of the paper.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dinged by Susman via snail mail. Summered at V5-10 in NY doing lit --> Graduated top ~5% from T10 with honors coif etc. --> D. Ct. clerkship in flyover --> 2/9/DC clerk. Didn't attend any events or leverage any personal connections.

That's kind of them to at least let you know. I applied, went to all their events, kissed all the ass, and I haven't heard anything back. Of course, my stats aren't anywhere near as impressive as yours, so clearly they thought I was just trolling them and was not worthy of the paper.
Or they just haven't gotten around to inviting you to interview. Or they have other folks they're more interested in, but if they don't work out you may still be under consideration. Or the ding is in the mail.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:23 pm

Has anyone gotten any action in DC?

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do big law firms care THAT much whether your clerkship is 2/9/DC? What about boutiques? I plan on going back to my V10 but am entertaining the possibility of going to a boutique.
Probably depends on the boutique and to some extent how competitive you would have been for the boutique without the clerkship. That said, I have a good friend who went from a V20 > non-2/9/DC and non-feeder COA > well-known lit boutique. I get the feeling from that and some people I've seen that if you meet a boutiques requirements, a lot more depends on fit than in typical biglaw hiring. Looking at associate profiles can give you a better idea for a particular firm. Not knowing more, I'd think you have a shot and shouldn't count yourself out.
Thanks. The only boutiques I'd leave my V10 for would be Susman/Munger/Keker. Let's say HYS, CDCA/NDCA + random circuit.

Also, how much do grades matter?
You're competitive. Grades seem to matter, but do they matter in the sense of cum laude at H not magna is disqualifying? I suspect not, but I could be wrong. As the other anon who ended up at a boutique said, once you get in for an interview, fit is big.

Sounds like you're firmly rooted on the west coast, otherwise I'd say look at Kellogg and Molo as well, maybe Kellogg especially given the comp and you seem to be willing to put in the hours. What about Hueston Hennigan?
At Susman, the difference between Magna and cum laude at HLS would be significant. The latter is not likely to be interviewed, unless they are a veteran. At Munger it may depend more on the judge and the recommendations, but the grades still matter a lot for clerk recruiting, and there are HYS cutoffs. These places are incredibly competitive and picky.
Looking at Susman's Harvard alum associates and young partners on their website, this seems wrong. Four out of nine are cum laude. Of those four, only one is a veteran. I'm not trying to say any cum laude H grad is competitive for Susman, all of these folks had excellent clerkships along with other significant credentials (one was on a winning team in the Ames competition, for instance).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten any action in DC?
COA clerk - non 2/9/DC district - received a Covington rejection and a not hiring judicial clerks yet response from APKS. Otherwise dead silent

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:10 am

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do big law firms care THAT much whether your clerkship is 2/9/DC? What about boutiques? I plan on going back to my V10 but am entertaining the possibility of going to a boutique.
Probably depends on the boutique and to some extent how competitive you would have been for the boutique without the clerkship. That said, I have a good friend who went from a V20 > non-2/9/DC and non-feeder COA > well-known lit boutique. I get the feeling from that and some people I've seen that if you meet a boutiques requirements, a lot more depends on fit than in typical biglaw hiring. Looking at associate profiles can give you a better idea for a particular firm. Not knowing more, I'd think you have a shot and shouldn't count yourself out.
Thanks. The only boutiques I'd leave my V10 for would be Susman/Munger/Keker. Let's say HYS, CDCA/NDCA + random circuit.

Also, how much do grades matter?
You're competitive. Grades seem to matter, but do they matter in the sense of cum laude at H not magna is disqualifying? I suspect not, but I could be wrong. As the other anon who ended up at a boutique said, once you get in for an interview, fit is big.

Sounds like you're firmly rooted on the west coast, otherwise I'd say look at Kellogg and Molo as well, maybe Kellogg especially given the comp and you seem to be willing to put in the hours. What about Hueston Hennigan?
At Susman, the difference between Magna and cum laude at HLS would be significant. The latter is not likely to be interviewed, unless they are a veteran. At Munger it may depend more on the judge and the recommendations, but the grades still matter a lot for clerk recruiting, and there are HYS cutoffs. These places are incredibly competitive and picky.
Looking at Susman's Harvard alum associates and young partners on their website, this seems wrong. Four out of nine are cum laude. Of those four, only one is a veteran. I'm not trying to say any cum laude H grad is competitive for Susman, all of these folks had excellent clerkships along with other significant credentials (one was on a winning team in the Ames competition, for instance).
What are my odds as a T40-45 cum laude grad clerking for an Art. I? :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:56 am

movement at Patterson Belknap

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:movement at Patterson Belknap
interviews already? that was fast!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wait can we get back to the FF soap opera? I was getting excited for people to get offers but now everyones over it.
I've been unable to get a response from them lately (presume ding). From what we got earlier, there seemed to be one offer in the thread and at least 2-3 intervewees who heard nothing. Have yet to see a ding or any other communication. Given that they brought in more interviewees I actually think they may be letting some people linger.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:00 pm

Applied for a litigation associate position last night, and received the below email this morning.

Dear ____,

Thank you for your interest in _______. I am in receipt of your application for our litigation associate position in ____. Can you please confirm your availability for new employment? I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

_____.

I responded this morning, and figured, awesome, I will probably get an interview since I was asked about availability. I said I could start any time in the upcoming months, and then an hour later, generic rejection saying that you need private practice experience for that position.

So deflating.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wait can we get back to the FF soap opera? I was getting excited for people to get offers but now everyones over it.
I've been unable to get a response from them lately (presume ding). From what we got earlier, there seemed to be one offer in the thread and at least 2-3 intervewees who heard nothing. Have yet to see a ding or any other communication. Given that they brought in more interviewees I actually think they may be letting some people linger.
Seems normal, right? They extend a few offers, give those people a few weeks or whatever, and then move down the list until they have filled their needs. One benefit of moving early for them is likely that candidates are not calling them leveraging expiring offers. Doesn't make the wait any easier, but that would be my guess.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Seems normal, right? They extend a few offers, give those people a few weeks or whatever, and then move down the list until they have filled their needs. One benefit of moving early for them is likely that candidates are not calling them leveraging expiring offers. Doesn't make the wait any easier, but that would be my guess.
That's probably true. My firm didn't do that (at least summer/oci) - they gave offers with an expected response rate. Sometimes it would be much higher and sometimes much lower than expected and would give people a scare, but that's how it always went. This is different in that its post-clerkship but I hear ya that it may be par for the course for many firms. I have to think most everyone will accept, given how early it is, so not much need to leave people hanging. And the only weird thing to me is saying "we're done" and then interviewing more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That's probably true. My firm didn't do that (at least summer/oci) - they gave offers with an expected response rate. Sometimes it would be much higher and sometimes much lower than expected and would give people a scare, but that's how it always went. This is different in that its post-clerkship but I hear ya that it may be par for the course for many firms. I have to think most everyone will accept, given how early it is, so not much need to leave people hanging. And the only weird thing to me is saying "we're done" and then interviewing more.
[same anon you responded to] Yeah, that last part was a little weird. How many extra apps do you think they got based on people checking TLS and seeing that they were moving lol?

proleteriate

New

Post by proleteriate » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
[same anon you responded to] Yeah, that last part was a little weird. How many extra apps do you think they got based on people checking TLS and seeing that they were moving lol?[/quote]

I applied for this exact reason

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:40 pm

Orrick letter arrived in 2/9/DC chambers recruiting for appellate practice group.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:01 am

It's quiet.... too quiet...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's quiet.... too quiet...
Couple bites in Boston. No offer just yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:39 am

What is customary for responding to an offer? How long do you have?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is customary for responding to an offer? How long do you have?

typically, you ask people on this forum if they would prefer for you to pass your offer on to them. It's one of the first things you learn in Professional Responsibility.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:What is customary for responding to an offer? How long do you have?
You should ask about how long you have. I don't know that there's any standard practice. To respond, an email to the person who made it is sufficient, but I'd thrown in emails to any interviewers you particularly clicked with or other contacts at the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:56 pm

Anybody have anything to report from Texas markets yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:59 pm

Does anyone know whether W&C actually raised their associate salaries?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”