CDCal/NDCal Clerk Taking Questions

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: CDCal/NDCal Clerk Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:14 pm

I know it's anecdotal, but who of the above would you seek more info on (i.e. not want to clerk for)? There is just less institutional info about D.C. judges, and so it's hard to tell who to be careful about.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All the “prestige” distinctions above reflect a rough approximation of YLS herd wisdom and shouldn’t be taken too seriously. There are judges listed above I wouldn’t want to clerk for and plenty of judges not listed who would be awesome people to clerk for, great mentors, etc. And generally, take this with a big grain of salt; this reflects my anecdotal experience and conversations with clerks.

I'm glad you closed with this disclaimer. I can't speak to what the current YLS herd wisdom is, but I will say that the prestige line you're drawing between Koh/Chhabria and Seeborg/Tiger/Orrick is not one that I think practitioners, academics, or most others in California would draw. Perhaps there was a bit more law-student interest in Koh when it appeared that she might be headed for the Ninth Circuit, but, now that a Republican is president, that's not going to happen anytime soon.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know it's anecdotal, but who of the above would you seek more info on (i.e. not want to clerk for)? There is just less institutional info about D.C. judges, and so it's hard to tell who to be careful about.

The best way to get this information is by reaching out to alumni of your school who have clerked for these judges. Some of those judges definitely have their quirks--but I don't think that an internet message board is the proper forum to discuss that kind of thing. Also, the "right" judge for you (assuming you have choices) is going to be contextual. For example, Koh (and the other San Jose judges) tend to have a higher percentage of patent cases than the SF judges. That may or may not be a plus for you, depending on your career goals.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:34 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All the “prestige” distinctions above reflect a rough approximation of YLS herd wisdom and shouldn’t be taken too seriously. There are judges listed above I wouldn’t want to clerk for and plenty of judges not listed who would be awesome people to clerk for, great mentors, etc. And generally, take this with a big grain of salt; this reflects my anecdotal experience and conversations with clerks.

I'm glad you closed with this disclaimer. I can't speak to what the current YLS herd wisdom is, but I will say that the prestige line you're drawing between Koh/Chhabria and Seeborg/Tiger/Orrick is not one that I think practitioners, academics, or most others in California would draw. Perhaps there was a bit more law-student interest in Koh when it appeared that she might be headed for the Ninth Circuit, but, now that a Republican is president, that's not going to happen anytime soon.

YLS grad, current CA9 clerk. I've never heard of this distinction, and like many "prestige demarcations" at YLS, it's almost certainly bullshit.

Chhabria is considered a desirable judge because he's a good, kind person, from everything I've heard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:51 pm

For my judge, if you transferred to H/Y/S (or any school really), it's of paramount importance that you include your grades from your 1L school. If you do not do this, the application goes in the trash without a serious look.

For non transfers, from YLS we look for someone who seems like they actually want to be a lawyer (smaller pool than you'd think), and from HLS we're looking for somewhere north of top 30%.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For my judge, if you transferred to H/Y/S (or any school really), it's of paramount importance that you include your grades from your 1L school. If you do not do this, the application goes in the trash without a serious look.

For non transfers, from YLS we look for someone who seems like they actually want to be a lawyer (smaller pool than you'd think), and from HLS we're looking for somewhere north of top 30%.

I've seen discussion in this thread about Y and H grades, but any experience with SLS grades (as in Prizes and % Hs to Ps) for your judge or CD/ND Cal in general? Pretty tough to guestimate class rank %, even looking through difference threads here on TLS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For my judge, if you transferred to H/Y/S (or any school really), it's of paramount importance that you include your grades from your 1L school. If you do not do this, the application goes in the trash without a serious look.

I've seen discussion in this thread about Y and H grades, but any experience with SLS grades (as in Prizes and % Hs to Ps) for your judge or CD/ND Cal in general? Pretty tough to guestimate class rank %, even looking through difference threads here on TLS.

SLSer here who clerked on N.D. Cal. I had just under 60% Hs and no law review.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:06 pm

[Double post]

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”