Clerking with work expeirence Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
robin22

New

Clerking with work expeirence

Post by robin22 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:24 pm

I'm interested in clerking and I've been working in big law for two years. Are there judges that prefer work experience?

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Clerking with work expeirence

Post by rpupkin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:32 pm

robin22 wrote:I'm interested in clerking and I've been working in big law for two years. Are there judges that prefer work experience?
Yes.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:36 pm

Many if not most district judges in big districts like SDNY prefer clerks to have work experience before they start. The problem from your position is that many of those judges hire 2-3 years out. So yes, your work experience isn't an obstacle to clerking per se, but are you looking to clerk as a 5th year?

robin22

New

Post by robin22 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:46 pm

Lincoln wrote:Many if not most district judges in big districts like SDNY prefer clerks to have work experience before they start. The problem from your position is that many of those judges hire 2-3 years out. So yes, your work experience isn't an obstacle to clerking per se, but are you looking to clerk as a 5th year?
That's a good point - no, I want to clerk sooner rather than later. How do people who are working apply for/acquire clerkships given that timeline? Do they accept a clerkship offer 2 years out and then just work until then? Would they keep it a secret from their employer?

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:55 pm

robin22 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:Many if not most district judges in big districts like SDNY prefer clerks to have work experience before they start. The problem from your position is that many of those judges hire 2-3 years out. So yes, your work experience isn't an obstacle to clerking per se, but are you looking to clerk as a 5th year?
That's a good point - no, I want to clerk sooner rather than later. How do people who are working apply for/acquire clerkships given that timeline? Do they accept a clerkship offer 2 years out and then just work until then? Would they keep it a secret from their employer?
Many apply in or shortly after law school and work while knowing they'll leave for a clerkship. Many firms encourage clerking so there would be no need to keep it a secret.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:48 pm

Yes many judges prefer work experience, but I think a much smaller number would be looking for a clerk with 4-5 years of big law experience, as you would have by the time you start.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:34 am

You'll have to look in the South and rural West (not CA or Seattle) if you want to find clerkships starting soon. Some may be interested in your experience. If you're trying for NY, you'll be looking at districts in 2019 at the earliest, more likely 2020 and 2021.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:11 am

FascinatedWanderer wrote:Yes many judges prefer work experience, but I think a much smaller number would be looking for a clerk with 4-5 years of big law experience, as you would have by the time you start.
I am clerking with about 4 years big law - I don't think they would be looking For 2-3 but not 4-5 (sort of counterintuitive unless they're just ageist). Now, query as to whether it's good career wise but I don't think judges would differ and you'd interview at 2-3 years anyways.

As an aside district court clerking was pretty fucking easy after that much big law experience. COA, not so much.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”