Applying for Newly Nominated and/or Confirmed Judges

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 299575
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Applying for Newly Nominated and/or Confirmed Judges

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:39 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has useful insight or experience applying to judges who have been recently confirmed? Is TCR to wait for the OSCAR listing to go up?

lolwat
Posts: 1047
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Applying for Newly Nominated and/or Confirmed Judges

Postby lolwat » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:44 pm

For confirmed judges I used to just find out where their chambers are and call them/send a paper application in.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299575
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Applying for Newly Nominated and/or Confirmed Judges

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:23 pm

lolwat wrote:For confirmed judges I used to just find out where their chambers are and call them/send a paper application in.


If they're currently on the bench (SSC or district court) you can mail an application to those chambers. I'm not sure whether it's kosher to mail an application to the law office of someone coming from private practice (like John Bush, for example).

lolwat
Posts: 1047
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Applying for Newly Nominated and/or Confirmed Judges

Postby lolwat » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lolwat wrote:For confirmed judges I used to just find out where their chambers are and call them/send a paper application in.


If they're currently on the bench (SSC or district court) you can mail an application to those chambers. I'm not sure whether it's kosher to mail an application to the law office of someone coming from private practice (like John Bush, for example).


From what I can remember -- and it's been a really long time -- it doesn't take long between a judge being confirmed and that judge having chambers in the appropriate courthouse. So you'd just apply to their chambers.

Nominees are different. I probably wouldn't even bother sending an application to them until they're confirmed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299575
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Applying for Newly Nominated and/or Confirmed Judges

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:09 pm

lolwat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lolwat wrote:For confirmed judges I used to just find out where their chambers are and call them/send a paper application in.


If they're currently on the bench (SSC or district court) you can mail an application to those chambers. I'm not sure whether it's kosher to mail an application to the law office of someone coming from private practice (like John Bush, for example).


From what I can remember -- and it's been a really long time -- it doesn't take long between a judge being confirmed and that judge having chambers in the appropriate courthouse. So you'd just apply to their chambers.

Nominees are different. I probably wouldn't even bother sending an application to them until they're confirmed.


This is basically the answer I was looking for. Thanks!

User avatar
BulletTooth
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: Applying for Newly Nominated and/or Confirmed Judges

Postby BulletTooth » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:29 pm

There was a previous thread debating the merits of sending unsolicited applications to recent nominees (it was fairly split on whether it was a good idea or not):

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233377&p=7886857&hilit=nominee+application+clerkship#p7886857

User avatar
MyNameIsFlynn!
Posts: 805
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: Applying for Newly Nominated and/or Confirmed Judges

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:42 pm

I did this a while back during Obama's tenure and had little success. Consistent with some impressions in the thread linked above, the vast majority stated they were not considering applications until confirmed; several basically said they'd put my application in the pile and consider it after confirmation, a few asked that I reapply after confirmation, and one or two were plainly displeased by the unsolicited app. YMMV, but I don't think this approach adds a whole lot of value over applying soon after confirmation (especially since judges tend to get situated in chambers pretty quickly after confirmation).

Anonymous User
Posts: 299575
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Applying for Newly Nominated and/or Confirmed Judges

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:59 pm

Does anyone know when John Bush will be reviewing applications/hiring?

Anonymous User
Posts: 299575
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Applying for Newly Nominated and/or Confirmed Judges

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:26 pm

He's interviewing already.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299575
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Applying for Newly Nominated and/or Confirmed Judges

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:16 pm

Any additional info, like when did he start interviewing and has he extended any offers yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 299575
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Applying for Newly Nominated and/or Confirmed Judges

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:25 pm

I was actually approached by someone who is in the process of being confirmed and was looking for clerks. I doubt you will get any movement at all until after confirmation though so I would just wait until they are confirmed unless you hear otherwise. Not even sure where you would send it to.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299575
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Applying for Newly Nominated and/or Confirmed Judges

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:11 pm

I did this during the Obama administration. I mailed one application to the judge's courthouse-to-be and one to her previous job address, within a week after the confirmation vote. Not sure which got there, but it worked.

User avatar
OutCold
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: Applying for Newly Nominated and/or Confirmed Judges

Postby OutCold » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:25 am

On the day he was confirmed, I sent a paper application to a judge at his law firm address. I thought it was a hailmary. I wound up clerking for him.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299575
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Applying for Newly Nominated and/or Confirmed Judges

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:49 am

Obviously a clerkship is a clerkship but can anyone comment on the steep learning curve/havoc of clerking for a newly confirmed judge. I'd imagine it would be trial by fire the entire first term.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299575
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Applying for Newly Nominated and/or Confirmed Judges

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Obviously a clerkship is a clerkship but can anyone comment on the steep learning curve/havoc of clerking for a newly confirmed judge. I'd imagine it would be trial by fire the entire first term.


Probably. But my judge has a soft spot for her first clerks because they went through all of that together. She likes us plenty, but she loves them like family.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299575
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Applying for Newly Nominated and/or Confirmed Judges

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:41 pm

Has anyone heard from John Bush yet?

JakeTappers
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:38 pm

Re: Applying for Newly Nominated and/or Confirmed Judges

Postby JakeTappers » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:46 pm

This does little to help but might encourage - I know the first clerk my judge hired when he was being confirms stalked the process and made sure to get an app in and keep in touch as the process progressed. The exact mechanics of that particularly without being annoying, I don't know.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299575
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Applying for Newly Nominated and/or Confirmed Judges

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:35 am

Bush has made offers.




Return to “Judicial Clerkships”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.