Srinivasan Clerkship?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
candidlatke

Bronze
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 3:52 am

Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby candidlatke » Mon May 08, 2017 7:25 pm

Anyone have knowledge/experience with how he is as a boss and the credentials of his past clerks?

User avatar
nothingtosee

Silver
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby nothingtosee » Mon May 08, 2017 8:00 pm

All of his clerks are scotusclerk level, so if you have a chance your school will let you know

Anonymous User
Posts: 324814
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2017 8:22 pm

nothingtosee wrote:All of his clerks are scotusclerk level, so if you have a chance your school will let you know

This is true. Only anecdotal, but I was URM (not that it means anything) in the top 5% of a T14 and didn't get an interview.

lawlorbust

Bronze
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:50 am

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby lawlorbust » Mon May 08, 2017 10:16 pm

Not to pile on but this is one of those "if you have to ask..." sorta questions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324814
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 4:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:All of his clerks are scotusclerk level, so if you have a chance your school will let you know

This is true. Only anecdotal, but I was URM (not that it means anything) in the top 5% of a T14 and didn't get an interview.


That's actually not always true though. It's true at HYS and I'm sure it's true at other schools with a decent clerkship program, but for instance at GULC clerkships are delt on a "you're on your own" basis by the career advising office. Incorrect / misleading / outdated information, etc.

Anyway, to answer your question OP, at the level Sri is at everyone non HYS is top 5%, LR, presumably with another clerkship either lined up or in the works. It's mostly about who makes the calls and, honestly, luck. OP, you basically have to be top of your class and get recommended by prestigious/trustworthy professors to get an interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324814
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 6:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:All of his clerks are scotusclerk level, so if you have a chance your school will let you know

This is true. Only anecdotal, but I was URM (not that it means anything) in the top 5% of a T14 and didn't get an interview.


That's actually not always true though. It's true at HYS and I'm sure it's true at other schools with a decent clerkship program, but for instance at GULC clerkships are delt on a "you're on your own" basis by the career advising office. Incorrect / misleading / outdated information, etc.

Anyway, to answer your question OP, at the level Sri is at everyone non HYS is top 5%, LR, presumably with another clerkship either lined up or in the works. It's mostly about who makes the calls and, honestly, luck. OP, you basically have to be top of your class and get recommended by prestigious/trustworthy professors to get an interview.


When the people above say "the school will let you know if you're competitive for feeders" they mean career services OR a professor will pull you aside and tell you to apply, not just career services. At the elite end of the clerkship process, it's close to a rule that you're not competitive for a true feeder if you have to ask whether you're competitive

Anonymous User
Posts: 324814
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 11:19 am

He requires a call from a prof. he knows. At my T6 usually the #1 student goes to him.

I was top 3-4% and didn't get a whiff of interest.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324814
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 2:34 pm

FWIW: I see him around the courthouse and at events, have said hello. He seems like a normal dude.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324814
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:All of his clerks are scotusclerk level, so if you have a chance your school will let you know

This is true. Only anecdotal, but I was URM (not that it means anything) in the top 5% of a T14 and didn't get an interview.


That's actually not always true though. It's true at HYS and I'm sure it's true at other schools with a decent clerkship program, but for instance at GULC clerkships are delt on a "you're on your own" basis by the career advising office. Incorrect / misleading / outdated information, etc.

Anyway, to answer your question OP, at the level Sri is at everyone non HYS is top 5%, LR, presumably with another clerkship either lined up or in the works. It's mostly about who makes the calls and, honestly, luck. OP, you basically have to be top of your class and get recommended by prestigious/trustworthy professors to get an interview.


When the people above say "the school will let you know if you're competitive for feeders" they mean career services OR a professor will pull you aside and tell you to apply, not just career services. At the elite end of the clerkship process, it's close to a rule that you're not competitive for a true feeder if you have to ask whether you're competitive


Same anon as above. This is just splitting hairs, but I know for a fact at GULC the bolded is not true. That might just be because we have the most abysmal clerkship support of any T20 lol. And we do send at least a couple of people to clerk for feeders every now and then. That being said, i agree that if you have to ask, you're most likely not competitive.

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW: I see him around the courthouse and at events, have said hello. He seems like a normal dude.


Same thing. He seems like a really nice, grounded person too.

User avatar
nothingtosee

Silver
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby nothingtosee » Tue May 09, 2017 3:41 pm

I'm just curious - when someone is one of the top 5-10 students after 1L, and they talk to their professors, isn't there some conversation like:

"So how'd finals go?"
Oh, much better than I could have asked for!
"How'd you do in your other classes?"

The Professor hears you're almost all A+'s or whatever, then they tell you "You can clerk for almost any judge you want."

Does that not happen?

User avatar
Mullens

Silver
Posts: 1049
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 am

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby Mullens » Tue May 09, 2017 3:50 pm

nothingtosee wrote:I'm just curious - when someone is one of the top 5-10 students after 1L, and they talk to their professors, isn't there some conversation like:

"So how'd finals go?"
Oh, much better than I could have asked for!
"How'd you do in your other classes?"

The Professor hears you're almost all A+'s or whatever, then they tell you "You can clerk for almost any judge you want."

Does that not happen?


Probably varies by school but I know at my T14 that professors have access to our grades and so does the clerkship advisor. If you're among that group of students (I was) then the clerkship office will reach out shortly after second semester grades (or before if you were at the very top after first semester) and will tell you to start reaching out to professors for letters of recommendation so you can apply for feeders before OCI and can get all your app materials set asap. When you reach out to professors for letters of rec, they will offer to call on your behalf if they like you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324814
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 3:56 pm

Mullens wrote:
Probably varies by school but I know at my T14 that professors have access to our grades and so does the clerkship advisor. If you're among that group of students (I was) then the clerkship office will reach out shortly after second semester grades (or before if you were at the very top after first semester) and will tell you to start reaching out to professors for letters of recommendation so you can apply for feeders before OCI and can get all your app materials set asap. When you reach out to professors for letters of rec, they will offer to call on your behalf if they like you.

Cornell recently started doing something similar to this after first semester, I think.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324814
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 4:30 pm

Mullens wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:I'm just curious - when someone is one of the top 5-10 students after 1L, and they talk to their professors, isn't there some conversation like:

"So how'd finals go?"
Oh, much better than I could have asked for!
"How'd you do in your other classes?"

The Professor hears you're almost all A+'s or whatever, then they tell you "You can clerk for almost any judge you want."

Does that not happen?


Probably varies by school but I know at my T14 that professors have access to our grades and so does the clerkship advisor. If you're among that group of students (I was) then the clerkship office will reach out shortly after second semester grades (or before if you were at the very top after first semester) and will tell you to start reaching out to professors for letters of recommendation so you can apply for feeders before OCI and can get all your app materials set asap. When you reach out to professors for letters of rec, they will offer to call on your behalf if they like you.


Does not happen at GULC, or at least did not happen when I was there. Absolutely zero encouragement to clerk, even for the top of the class. Clerkship office was also actively trying to downplay expectations, like telling me I should apply to state courts because federal courts are really hard. Then you wonder why our federal clerkship rate is abysmal lol :roll:

I just wish this forum wouldn't create the expectation that "if you're qualified, you will be told." Really, some places it just doesn't happen.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324814
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 4:35 pm

After my 1st semester, was somewhere in the top 10% at HYS (really, I guess that means HS, because Y doesn't do 1st semester grades) and I wasn't contacted, but when I reached out to professors and the clerkship office they told me to apply to early feeders. Not sure if there's a different policy in place at my school for the absolute top of the class, though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324814
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:He requires a call from a prof. he knows. At my T6 usually the #1 student goes to him.

I was top 3-4% and didn't get a whiff of interest.


For what it's worth, I've heard from somebody I think is very reliable that in at least one recent year, the #1 students (after 1L) at both Harvard and Stanford went to him.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324814
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mullens wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:I'm just curious - when someone is one of the top 5-10 students after 1L, and they talk to their professors, isn't there some conversation like:

"So how'd finals go?"
Oh, much better than I could have asked for!
"How'd you do in your other classes?"

The Professor hears you're almost all A+'s or whatever, then they tell you "You can clerk for almost any judge you want."

Does that not happen?


Probably varies by school but I know at my T14 that professors have access to our grades and so does the clerkship advisor. If you're among that group of students (I was) then the clerkship office will reach out shortly after second semester grades (or before if you were at the very top after first semester) and will tell you to start reaching out to professors for letters of recommendation so you can apply for feeders before OCI and can get all your app materials set asap. When you reach out to professors for letters of rec, they will offer to call on your behalf if they like you.


Does not happen at GULC, or at least did not happen when I was there. Absolutely zero encouragement to clerk, even for the top of the class. Clerkship office was also actively trying to downplay expectations, like telling me I should apply to state courts because federal courts are really hard. Then you wonder why our federal clerkship rate is abysmal lol :roll:

I just wish this forum wouldn't create the expectation that "if you're qualified, you will be told." Really, some places it just doesn't happen.


GULC now does send an "encouraging you to clerk email" to top 5% after 1L, but not much more than that.

User avatar
Wild Card

Bronze
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby Wild Card » Tue May 09, 2017 8:31 pm

Mullens wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:I'm just curious - when someone is one of the top 5-10 students after 1L, and they talk to their professors, isn't there some conversation like:

"So how'd finals go?"
Oh, much better than I could have asked for!
"How'd you do in your other classes?"

The Professor hears you're almost all A+'s or whatever, then they tell you "You can clerk for almost any judge you want."

Does that not happen?


Probably varies by school but I know at my T14 that professors have access to our grades and so does the clerkship advisor. If you're among that group of students (I was) then the clerkship office will reach out shortly after second semester grades (or before if you were at the very top after first semester) and will tell you to start reaching out to professors for letters of recommendation so you can apply for feeders before OCI and can get all your app materials set asap. When you reach out to professors for letters of rec, they will offer to call on your behalf if they like you.


WTF aren't academic records private? They'd know the names of everyone within the top X%, but they can't possibly have access to your actual file.

User avatar
polareagle

Bronze
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby polareagle » Tue May 09, 2017 8:46 pm

Wild Card wrote:
Mullens wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:I'm just curious - when someone is one of the top 5-10 students after 1L, and they talk to their professors, isn't there some conversation like:

"So how'd finals go?"
Oh, much better than I could have asked for!
"How'd you do in your other classes?"

The Professor hears you're almost all A+'s or whatever, then they tell you "You can clerk for almost any judge you want."

Does that not happen?


Probably varies by school but I know at my T14 that professors have access to our grades and so does the clerkship advisor. If you're among that group of students (I was) then the clerkship office will reach out shortly after second semester grades (or before if you were at the very top after first semester) and will tell you to start reaching out to professors for letters of recommendation so you can apply for feeders before OCI and can get all your app materials set asap. When you reach out to professors for letters of rec, they will offer to call on your behalf if they like you.


WTF aren't academic records private? They'd know the names of everyone within the top X%, but they can't possibly have access to your actual file.


What? No. Not from the school itself.
FERPA doesn't prevent schools from disclosing information internally for "legitimate educational interests."
(34 CFR 99.31)

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby rpupkin » Tue May 09, 2017 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
GULC now does send an "encouraging you to clerk email" to top 5% after 1L, but not much more than that.

I'd be quite surprised if GULC doesn't make a special effort to help its top 3-5 students with clerkship placement.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby rpupkin » Tue May 09, 2017 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I just wish this forum wouldn't create the expectation that "if you're qualified, you will be told." Really, some places it just doesn't happen.

How qualified were you? Frankly, being top 5% at a place like GULC isn't that special. It won't place you in feeder territory. If GULC only reaches out to its top 3 or so students, that's not inconsistent with how other schools in the lower half of the T14 operate with respect to placing its top students in the most competitive clerkships.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324814
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 9:08 pm

polareagle wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
Mullens wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:I'm just curious - when someone is one of the top 5-10 students after 1L, and they talk to their professors, isn't there some conversation like:

"So how'd finals go?"
Oh, much better than I could have asked for!
"How'd you do in your other classes?"

The Professor hears you're almost all A+'s or whatever, then they tell you "You can clerk for almost any judge you want."

Does that not happen?


Probably varies by school but I know at my T14 that professors have access to our grades and so does the clerkship advisor. If you're among that group of students (I was) then the clerkship office will reach out shortly after second semester grades (or before if you were at the very top after first semester) and will tell you to start reaching out to professors for letters of recommendation so you can apply for feeders before OCI and can get all your app materials set asap. When you reach out to professors for letters of rec, they will offer to call on your behalf if they like you.


WTF aren't academic records private? They'd know the names of everyone within the top X%, but they can't possibly have access to your actual file.


What? No. Not from the school itself.
FERPA doesn't prevent schools from disclosing information internally for "legitimate educational interests."
(34 CFR 99.31)

You're both wrong--or at least you would be at my T14. The only people with access to your academic file/grades would be career services, the clerkship advisor, Dean of Students, and the Dean. No random professor would have access; you have to sign a consent form for a prof to even have access to your file for letter-of-rec purposes

I'd be shocked if any school construed that reg to allow all professors to have access to your file

Anonymous User
Posts: 324814
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 9:22 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I just wish this forum wouldn't create the expectation that "if you're qualified, you will be told." Really, some places it just doesn't happen.

How qualified were you? Frankly, being top 5% at a place like GULC isn't that special. It won't place you in feeder territory. If GULC only reaches out to its top 3 or so students, that's not inconsistent with how other schools in the lower half of the T14 operate with respect to placing its top students in the most competitive clerkships.


I'm not going to say more because this is getting into very easy identification territory lol. I'll say this though: this isn't just my experience, and it isn't restricted to feeders. GULC sucks at clerkships.

Anonymous User wrote:GULC now does send an "encouraging you to clerk email" to top 5% after 1L, but not much more than that.

I guess that's an improvement. I don't recall getting one of those.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue May 09, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
WinterComing

Silver
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:10 am

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby WinterComing » Tue May 09, 2017 9:23 pm

OP has disappeared, but appears to go to Texas, FWIW. No idea how their clerkship advising compares to GULC or the other schools being discussed in this thread.

cheaptilts

Bronze
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:29 pm

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby cheaptilts » Tue May 09, 2017 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I just wish this forum wouldn't create the expectation that "if you're qualified, you will be told." Really, some places it just doesn't happen.

How qualified were you? Frankly, being top 5% at a place like GULC isn't that special. It won't place you in feeder territory. If GULC only reaches out to its top 3 or so students, that's not inconsistent with how other schools in the lower half of the T14 operate with respect to placing its top students in the most competitive clerkships.


I'm not going to say more because this is getting into very easy identification territory lol. This isn't just my experience though, and it isn't restricted to feeders. GULC sucks at clerkships.

Anonymous User wrote:GULC now does send an "encouraging you to clerk email" to top 5% after 1L, but not much more than that.

I guess that's an improvement. I don't recall getting one of those.


Today I realized that there are anywhere from 30-40 people in the top 5% at Georgetown in any given year. That's a lot of students

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Postby rpupkin » Tue May 09, 2017 9:32 pm

cheaptilts wrote:Today I realized that there are anywhere from 30-40 people in the top 5% at Georgetown in any given year. That's a lot of students

Yeah. I wonder how much of this is due to "the GULC administration won't help its students gets clerkships" versus "GULC has too many students so its placement percentages are going to be relatively low no matter what."

Also, for what its worth, I just checked with a GULC grad who was #2 in his class several years ago and he said that--at least back then--the school definitely worked to get its very top students into competitive clerkships. I bet that still happens.



Return to “Judicial Clerkships�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.