Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jd20132013

Silver

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Post by jd20132013 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:43 pm

interestingly, Kosinski is the only judge I ever heard the whispers about. Obviously he can't be the only one, but one wonders if he really is that dramatic an outlier

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:26 pm

jd20132013 wrote:interestingly, Kosinski is the only judge I ever heard the whispers about. Obviously he can't be the only one, but one wonders if he really is that dramatic an outlier

Ha. Kozinski does not stand alone

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:22 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:Kozinski has probably hired clerks 3 years out. I bet at least some of them are getting cold feet at this point.
Rumblings are that 3 clerks just straight up quit.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JusticeJackson wrote:Kozinski has probably hired clerks 3 years out. I bet at least some of them are getting cold feet at this point.
Damn. Seems like you’d finish your year. I guess good for them if they were able to just do this. I’m not sure I even knew my landing spot this early in my clerkship (ie three months in).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:48 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Damn. Seems like you’d finish your year. I guess good for them if they were able to just do this. I’m not sure I even knew my landing spot this early in my clerkship (ie three months in).
I don't think that people with the credentials necessary to get a Kozinski clerkship are worried about finding a soft landing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
The Ninth Circuit has confirmed that "one or more" of Kozinski's current clerks has resigned.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:52 am

in some ways this is the best punishment we were likely to get for him, lol. Make him do all that work himself

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:08 pm

jd20132013 wrote:in some ways this is the best punishment we were likely to get for him, lol. Make him do all that work himself
Word on the street (I was the anon above that first reported them quitting) is that he is called senior associates and former clerks looking for immediate help. Hard to imagine it will be too successful as that group has little to gain. Have been trying to get the scoop on why 3 left and not 4, no avail.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:13 pm

Totally speculating, but I’d guess “I never saw anything inappropriate!” paired with guessing that despite this Kosinski will still be a good person to have in your corner (which I’d bet he will, in certain corners).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:in some ways this is the best punishment we were likely to get for him, lol. Make him do all that work himself
Word on the street (I was the anon above that first reported them quitting) is that he is called senior associates and former clerks looking for immediate help. Hard to imagine it will be too successful as that group has little to gain. Have been trying to get the scoop on why 3 left and not 4, no avail.
CA9 clerk here. The three clerks that packed up and left went to T10 law schools. The clerk still working for him went to a lower-ranked school. I believe he's staying (for now) in part because he is concerned about whether other opportunities will be available to him.

JakeTappers

Bronze

Post by JakeTappers » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
CA9 clerk here. The three clerks that packed up and left went to T10 law schools. The clerk still working for him went to a lower-ranked school. I believe he's staying (for now) in part because he is concerned about whether other opportunities will be available to him.
Any knowledge of how they did it? I just wonder if they all just gave notice or straight up walked out. Pretty wild.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:57 pm

Presumably cases can be reassigned to other judges? It wouldn't hurt him to keep the cases as much as it would the litigants.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
He may also think Kozinski's scandal will help him get a Thomas clerkship.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:05 pm

I'm actually given to understand that Thomas never hires from Kozinski FWIW.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:33 pm

You got whooshed, second anon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Hill

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
If you can get a Kozinski clerkship, I think you'll have options. My guess is that the clerk is the sort of striver who gets a Kozinski clerkship from a lower-ranked school and views it from the perspective of, "If I stick by Judge when everyone else bails, he's going to love me for it and go out of his way to back me for whatever gig I want." The person also is probably rationalizing it in the way Nony described, "Well, I didn't see anything bad, and it hasn't happened to me."

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:51 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
If you can get a Kozinski clerkship, I think you'll have options. My guess is that the clerk is the sort of striver who gets a Kozinski clerkship from a lower-ranked school and views it from the perspective of, "If I stick by Judge when everyone else bails, he's going to love me for it and go out of his way to back me for whatever gig I want." The person also is probably rationalizing it in the way Nony described, "Well, I didn't see anything bad, and it hasn't happened to me."
I don't think this is particularly fair. We have no idea who this is or what their personal situation is.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:56 pm

AOT wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I don't think this is particularly fair. We have no idea who this is or what their personal situation is.
I'm not saying they're doing anything wrong. They're making a personal choice.

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:58 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
AOT wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
If this person happens to read this I imagine they might feel pretty shitty about being called a striver and an apologist

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:00 pm

AOT wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
AOT wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
If this person happens to read this I imagine they might feel pretty shitty about being called a striver and an apologist
If you're a Kozinski clerk, you're a guaranteed striver. I'm sure that person is well aware of that. I'm not insulting them. If I were in their shoes, I don't know if I'd do it differently.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:05 pm

@ lavarman - I don't know how, but that at once seems to criticize the person who stayed at the same time as suggesting staying would be reasonable. Impressive.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:22 pm

If the new stories are true (no real reason to think they aren't) how arrogant do you have to be to respond to
The first wave in the dismissive way that he did ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:45 pm

Kozinski? Arrogant?

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:42 pm

I think we have no right to judge whether a clerk should stay at the job in the face of allegations against the judge. I grew up in a rough neighborhood, and some of my old friends have been accused of actual crimes (i.e. beyond just being incredibly creepy). My continued contact with someone that’s been accused of burglary isn’t an endorsement of the alleged burglary; I accept my friends notwithstanding their (alleged and unproven) faults and I really don’t think I owe anyone an explanation for my choice to maintain contact with those folks even in light of criminal accusations. In the same way, in my view, there’s nothing wrong with a clerk deciding “this isn’t what I signed on for, but I gave the judge my commitment and I’m going to keep it.”

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”