Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
throwaway1919

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:53 am

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby throwaway1919 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:39 pm

Guess the whisper network was right!
Nebby wrote:Here's my shocked face


User avatar
Mr. Blackacre

Bronze
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:48 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:39 pm

About time.

Also that statement is absolute horseshit. Par for the course I guess.

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10241
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:40 pm

Nebby wrote:Here's my shocked face



Boom.
Last edited by jbagelboy on Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jd20132013

Silver
Posts: 1368
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby jd20132013 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:41 pm

what are y'all referencing ?

Edit


Never mind. Ah. Well that's interesting.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby Nebby » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:44 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:(As if most applicants even have to worry about getting hired by Kozinski...)

Interesting.

:?: I was being flip, but I just meant he's an extremely selective judge. It's kind of like saying, "I've heard that Justice Alito is terrible to work for" (totally made up example, he's probably lovely) - theoretically useful information but most people aren't getting SCOTUS clerkships so it's not really a risk.

It was the choice to be dismissive that I thought was interesting.

Is that a passive-aggressive way of saying I should be concerned about third-hand anon info because it alleges sexism/homophobia?

Nope, but this is

QFNP:
Nebby wrote:Here's my shocked face



CC:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I offer advice about the clerkship process to mentees at my T14 law school. A number of classmates and professors have warned me to steer female students, in particular, away from Judge Kozinski. They have told me that while he can be cruel to all of his clerks, he sexually harasses his female clerks, for example, pressuring them to wear revealing outfits and making comments of a sexual nature about their appearances. I have additionally been warned that Judge Kozinski is explicitly homophobic, and so I am urging my LGBT mentees not to apply to him either. (To be clear, these strike me as behaviors that, if true, should deter all of my mentees from applying to clerk for Judge Kozinski, but I understand that these types of behaviors have a more direct effect on some individuals).

Given that the Judge-clerk relationship puts the clerk in such close quarters with a very powerful authority figure, are there other judges who I should be warning my mentees, particularly my female or LGBT mentees, to stay away from because of their reputations for harassing law clerks?


Jesus. Brave, brave anon.


rpupkin wrote:
bearsfan23 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:This strikes me as an excellent use of TLS. Let's all use the anonymous posting feature to spread vicious third-hand rumors about federal judges. What fun!


So people can only discuss judges and how they treat clerks non-anon? Is that your point here?

Look, if a poster wants to share a personal story about an experience with a judge, then I think the use of the anonymous feature would be appropriate (though, if the story were a damaging one, I would hope that the mods would make some effort to assess whether the poster was actually in a position to have had the experience).

But I think a damaging third-hand rumor in the passive voice--like "I have been warned that Judge Kozinski is explicitly homophobic"--is a different kettle of fish. It probably shouldn't be posted at all. And if it is to be posted, I don't see the need for anonymity.

grand inquisitor wrote:this is gonna be my new go-to. i had the kozinski clerkship in the bag but my homosexuality kept me from accepting.

lavarman84 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To be fair, OP is correct that Kozinski's chambers are full of horrors (he yells at his clerks all the time; they are required to be there until 1 AM most days even when there isn't work for them to do; he intentionally instills competition amongst them over who he will recommend to SCOTUS; and sexual harassment allegations have been repeated by enough people that I'd think it more than reasonable to be wary). I get that TLS is a tricky spot to go for for this kind of information, but given the culture of silence about judge behavior that exists in most circles (especially for judges less high profile than the Koz), there aren't many other sources besides anonymous internet messaging.

Koz's feeding power seems to be waning a lot incidentally. Probably because there's been enough whispering to cause people with options to look elsewhere.


no doubt Kozinski's chambers have a bad rap and he's done some weird shit (http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-kozi ... story.html), but the last statement is simply ridiculous. No way to discern a feeder pattern, especially not because of his practices in chambers.


How can a guy who seems like such a zany weird fella (like a class clown in a way) be such a jerk to his clerks? It just doesn't feel like it fits with that personality. I've read the horror stories, so I'm not doubting y'all. It's just so weird.

User avatar
anon sequitur

Silver
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby anon sequitur » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:45 pm

But the article said that a number of the former clerks had nothing bad to say, so it was probably just imagined on the part of the clerks who complained. Co-clerks are so close to each other that if it was happening to some it would have to be known by the others, right?

Caesar Salad

Diamond
Posts: 16100
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:06 am

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby Caesar Salad » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:57 pm

mjb447 wrote:You'd offer serious clerkship advice based on TLS hearsay? Your lucky mentees.


Guess they were lucky

runinthefront

Gold
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby runinthefront » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:59 pm

Many of the posts in this thread did not age well at all. But I think we can separate the immediately dismissive and/or flippant posters from the ones merely suggesting that TLS was an improper forum for dispersing third-hand information.

(I mean, I still disagree with the latter point. But it's not like the news article affects the question/argument of whether TLS is the appropriate forum)

But yeah. Not one of the better threads on TLS.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thebrownnote

Bronze
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:17 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby thebrownnote » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:08 pm

anon sequitur wrote:But the article said that a number of the former clerks had nothing bad to say, so it was probably just imagined on the part of the clerks who complained. Co-clerks are so close to each other that if it was happening to some it would have to be known by the others, right?


The funny part about this is that it does appear that some of the harassed clerks did in fact tell some of their co-clerks at the time. But they probably didn't tell all of their co-clerks because they knew they wouldn't be believed.

Here's hoping there's about to be a reckoning in the judiciary. The only people less accountable than politicians. There have to be hundreds of these stories out there that the victims have been too afraid to tell.

And Kozinski remaining on the bench is a powerful argument against life-time tenure with little to no removal process.

Edited to add this quote from the article:

"The Post reached out to dozens of Kozinski’s former clerks and externs for this story. Many of those who returned messages said they experienced no harassment of any kind, and their experience — which entailed grueling work into the wee hours of the morning every day — was a rewarding one. They noted Kozinski’s wry sense of humor.

Those who talked to The Post about negative experiences said that they felt his behavior went beyond bad jokes or that they felt personally targeted."

It's almost like some people had different experiences than others, and not everyone had the same information, despite working in the same chambers.
Last edited by thebrownnote on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond
Posts: 20072
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby bk1 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:09 pm

runinthefront wrote:Many of the posts in this thread did not age well at all.

quelle surprise

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby Nebby » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:51 pm

ExBiglawAssociate wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I worked with a judge whose name has been mentioned ITT. (Mods: PM me privately for proof, if you must.) The rumors here are garbage, in my own experience.
I'm all for sharing horror stories you know are true from your own experience, but it's another thing to play a tormented game of telephone when it comes to reputations.

Were you a female or LGBT law clerk?

Ah, yes. The unassailable "but you're not high enough on the victim totem pole to have an opinion that counts" argument.

Lol

OneTwoThreeFour

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:15 am

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby OneTwoThreeFour » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:51 pm

mjb447 wrote:You'd offer serious clerkship advice based on TLS hearsay? Your lucky mentees.


rpupkin wrote:This strikes me as an excellent use of TLS. Let's all use the anonymous posting feature to spread vicious third-hand rumors about federal judges. What fun!


jbagelboy wrote:Honestly--most federal judges, even very well respected ones, are not up to date on contemporary PC norms and make wildly inappropriate statements in chambers. We're talking about a 60+ year old demographic here. Are all of your parents--or grandparents--super on point with this stuff?


Interesting thread to come back to. Wonder if he'll resign.

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7647
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby lavarman84 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:58 pm

Nebby wrote:Here's my shocked face



CC:
lavarman84 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To be fair, OP is correct that Kozinski's chambers are full of horrors (he yells at his clerks all the time; they are required to be there until 1 AM most days even when there isn't work for them to do; he intentionally instills competition amongst them over who he will recommend to SCOTUS; and sexual harassment allegations have been repeated by enough people that I'd think it more than reasonable to be wary). I get that TLS is a tricky spot to go for for this kind of information, but given the culture of silence about judge behavior that exists in most circles (especially for judges less high profile than the Koz), there aren't many other sources besides anonymous internet messaging.

Koz's feeding power seems to be waning a lot incidentally. Probably because there's been enough whispering to cause people with options to look elsewhere.


no doubt Kozinski's chambers have a bad rap and he's done some weird shit (http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-kozi ... story.html), but the last statement is simply ridiculous. No way to discern a feeder pattern, especially not because of his practices in chambers.


How can a guy who seems like such a zany weird fella (like a class clown in a way) be such a jerk to his clerks? It just doesn't feel like it fits with that personality. I've read the horror stories, so I'm not doubting y'all. It's just so weird.


Uhhhhh . . .

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby Nebby » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:11 pm

Couldn't tell if jaqing off

jd20132013

Silver
Posts: 1368
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby jd20132013 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:31 pm

Not going to lie I'm enjoying this post Hoc dunking

User avatar
Mr. Blackacre

Bronze
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:48 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:15 pm

Also - straight from the horse's mouth, for the idiots ITT.

2. I want the law clerk handbook distributed by the judiciary to explicitly state that judges may not compel clerk silence on matters like the ones I have described here. I also believe that there should be a person, or persons, or an institution that clerks can turn to in order to find answers. I understand that there are reasons why no such institution exists now—judicial independence and confidentiality must be fiercely protected. I also believe that the judiciary is capable of coming up with a solution to this problem.

3. I want greater honesty regarding judicial clerkships. Law students are often told in glowing terms that a clerkship will be the best year in their career. They are never told that it might, in fact, be their worst—and that if it is their worst, they may be compelled to lie to others in the name of loyalty to their judge.

I also want law schools to start giving our best and brightest students accurate advice about clerkships. Students are often told that if they receive a clerkship offer from a judge, they must say “yes” without hesitation. I cannot imagine a situation more rife for abuse. Students should feel free to say no to any judge who triggers their discomfort for any reason.


The full statement is worth a read: http://www.courtneymilan.com/metoo/kozinski.html

User avatar
bruinfan10

Silver
Posts: 622
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby bruinfan10 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:23 pm

lol i was so pumped to come back and read this thread after that article came out. did not disappoint.

User avatar
ggocat

Gold
Posts: 1824
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby ggocat » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:01 am

edit to delete stupid comment
Last edited by ggocat on Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond
Posts: 20072
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby bk1 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:01 am

Is it really a "serious" question when you're going with a "guys, Roy Moore is a pederast, not a pedophile" type response here?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:01 am

ggocat wrote:Serious question, does this sound like "pornography"?

One set of images she remembered was of college-age students at a party where “some people were inexplicably naked while everyone else was clothed.” Another was a sort of digital flip book that allowed users to mix and match heads, torsos and legs to create an image of a naked woman.


Clearly not workplace appropriate material or conduct. Just questioning the words used in the article because this sounds a lot like the material that Kozinski got in trouble for like a decade ago... not necessarily pornography (which suggests to me sexual arousal/intent).

Not sure why sexual arousal/intent wouldn’t be be at play in the above things?

User avatar
ggocat

Gold
Posts: 1824
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby ggocat » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:21 pm

Nah, y'all are right, ignore. :oops:

canoe

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby canoe » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:23 pm

hah what'd i say bitches

this is why i originally said censoring TLS-ers from being able to anonymously talk about bad judges is so egregious. there ain't no smoke without fire. to those who were so protective of judges that they were fearful of comments in some small-ass internet forum wrongfully blowing up into something much bigger: dontcha think that if it ever even gets to that point, there must be a reason for things to have soured to that point in the first place?

tls-ers aren't going to just make up fake shit about judges. this isn't fake news like those sponsored by robert mercer where there's a party willfully manipulating information to the benefit of a certain actor. sure, exaggeration of facts may occur but why become so aggressively defensive regarding this aspect as it pertains to judges? you know this is the internet, right? anything and everything on the internet should be taken with a bit of salt and looked at with a critical eye. to use this as an excuse for discouraging negative anecdotes regarding judges is OTL

and regarding kozinski, i'll say it again: he's a creep who's into perverse, kinky shit. if you're an attractive female clerk (bonus points for being asian), your creep-radar is going to be off the charts. i'm sure anyone remotely thinking about clerking for him knows he got busted years ago for hosting weird kinky porn on his server which he was dumb enough to not even secure. he aggressively pits his clerks against each other and gets off on it. knowing his personality and his god-complex, he certainly won't step down easily after these recent allegations. his ego is through the roof when really, the only reason why he has any value as a judge to aspiring clerks is that he's friends with kennedy. take away kennedy and he's really not so special anymore. if you still wanna clerk for kozinski after this, that's cool with me but i sure as heck ain't apologizing for "spreading a rumor" about kozinski. what, you expect me to provide documentation and other additional "supporting evidence" for my claims? LMAO get real. this isn't a fucking courtroom.

TrustMeImALawStudent

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:37 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby TrustMeImALawStudent » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:24 pm

canoe wrote:this is why i originally said censoring TLS-ers from being able to anonymously talk about bad judges is so egregious. there ain't no smoke without fire.


+1

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7647
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby lavarman84 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:33 pm

canoe wrote:hah what'd i say bitches

this is why i originally said censoring TLS-ers from being able to anonymously talk about bad judges is so egregious. there ain't no smoke without fire. to those who were so protective of judges that they were fearful of comments in some small-ass internet forum wrongfully blowing up into something much bigger: dontcha think that if it ever even gets to that point, there must be a reason for things to have soured to that point in the first place?

tls-ers aren't going to just make up fake shit about judges. this isn't fake news like those sponsored by robert mercer where there's a party willfully manipulating information to the benefit of a certain actor. sure, exaggeration of facts may occur but why become so aggressively defensive regarding this aspect as it pertains to judges? you know this is the internet, right? anything and everything on the internet should be taken with a bit of salt and looked at with a critical eye. to use this as an excuse for discouraging negative anecdotes regarding judges is OTL

and regarding kozinski, i'll say it again: he's a creep who's into perverse, kinky shit. if you're an attractive female clerk (bonus points for being asian), your creep-radar is going to be off the charts. i'm sure anyone remotely thinking about clerking for him knows he got busted years ago for hosting weird kinky porn on his server which he was dumb enough to not even secure. he aggressively pits his clerks against each other and gets off on it. knowing his personality and his god-complex, he certainly won't step down easily after these recent allegations. his ego is through the roof when really, the only reason why he has any value as a judge to aspiring clerks is that he's friends with kennedy. take away kennedy and he's really not so special anymore. if you still wanna clerk for kozinski after this, that's cool with me but i sure as heck ain't apologizing for "spreading a rumor" about kozinski. what, you expect me to provide documentation and other additional "supporting evidence" for my claims? LMAO get real. this isn't a fucking courtroom.


I mean this honestly, thank you. You were 100% right and hopefully helped people avoid a bad situation.

JusticeJackson

Silver
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:26 am

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby JusticeJackson » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:29 pm

.
Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Return to “Judicial Clerkships?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.