Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jd20132013

Silver
Posts: 1381
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby jd20132013 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:43 pm

interestingly, Kosinski is the only judge I ever heard the whispers about. Obviously he can't be the only one, but one wonders if he really is that dramatic an outlier

Anonymous User
Posts: 325878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:26 pm

jd20132013 wrote:interestingly, Kosinski is the only judge I ever heard the whispers about. Obviously he can't be the only one, but one wonders if he really is that dramatic an outlier



Ha. Kozinski does not stand alone

Anonymous User
Posts: 325878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:22 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:Kozinski has probably hired clerks 3 years out. I bet at least some of them are getting cold feet at this point.


Rumblings are that 3 clerks just straight up quit.

JusticeJackson

Silver
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:26 am

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby JusticeJackson » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JusticeJackson wrote:Kozinski has probably hired clerks 3 years out. I bet at least some of them are getting cold feet at this point.


Rumblings are that 3 clerks just straight up quit.


Damn. Seems like you’d finish your year. I guess good for them if they were able to just do this. I’m not sure I even knew my landing spot this early in my clerkship (ie three months in).

Anonymous User
Posts: 325878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:48 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
JusticeJackson wrote:Kozinski has probably hired clerks 3 years out. I bet at least some of them are getting cold feet at this point.


Rumblings are that 3 clerks just straight up quit.


Damn. Seems like you’d finish your year. I guess good for them if they were able to just do this. I’m not sure I even knew my landing spot this early in my clerkship (ie three months in).


I don't think that people with the credentials necessary to get a Kozinski clerkship are worried about finding a soft landing.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5659
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby rpupkin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JusticeJackson wrote:Kozinski has probably hired clerks 3 years out. I bet at least some of them are getting cold feet at this point.


Rumblings are that 3 clerks just straight up quit.

The Ninth Circuit has confirmed that "one or more" of Kozinski's current clerks has resigned.

jd20132013

Silver
Posts: 1381
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby jd20132013 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:52 am

in some ways this is the best punishment we were likely to get for him, lol. Make him do all that work himself

Anonymous User
Posts: 325878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:08 pm

jd20132013 wrote:in some ways this is the best punishment we were likely to get for him, lol. Make him do all that work himself


Word on the street (I was the anon above that first reported them quitting) is that he is called senior associates and former clerks looking for immediate help. Hard to imagine it will be too successful as that group has little to gain. Have been trying to get the scoop on why 3 left and not 4, no avail.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29312
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:13 pm

Totally speculating, but I’d guess “I never saw anything inappropriate!” paired with guessing that despite this Kosinski will still be a good person to have in your corner (which I’d bet he will, in certain corners).

Anonymous User
Posts: 325878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:in some ways this is the best punishment we were likely to get for him, lol. Make him do all that work himself


Word on the street (I was the anon above that first reported them quitting) is that he is called senior associates and former clerks looking for immediate help. Hard to imagine it will be too successful as that group has little to gain. Have been trying to get the scoop on why 3 left and not 4, no avail.


CA9 clerk here. The three clerks that packed up and left went to T10 law schools. The clerk still working for him went to a lower-ranked school. I believe he's staying (for now) in part because he is concerned about whether other opportunities will be available to him.

JakeTappers

New
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:38 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby JakeTappers » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:in some ways this is the best punishment we were likely to get for him, lol. Make him do all that work himself


Word on the street (I was the anon above that first reported them quitting) is that he is called senior associates and former clerks looking for immediate help. Hard to imagine it will be too successful as that group has little to gain. Have been trying to get the scoop on why 3 left and not 4, no avail.


CA9 clerk here. The three clerks that packed up and left went to T10 law schools. The clerk still working for him went to a lower-ranked school. I believe he's staying (for now) in part because he is concerned about whether other opportunities will be available to him.


Any knowledge of how they did it? I just wonder if they all just gave notice or straight up walked out. Pretty wild.

User avatar
ggocat

Gold
Posts: 1824
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby ggocat » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:57 pm

jd20132013 wrote:in some ways this is the best punishment we were likely to get for him, lol. Make him do all that work himself

Presumably cases can be reassigned to other judges? It wouldn't hurt him to keep the cases as much as it would the litigants.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:in some ways this is the best punishment we were likely to get for him, lol. Make him do all that work himself


Word on the street (I was the anon above that first reported them quitting) is that he is called senior associates and former clerks looking for immediate help. Hard to imagine it will be too successful as that group has little to gain. Have been trying to get the scoop on why 3 left and not 4, no avail.


CA9 clerk here. The three clerks that packed up and left went to T10 law schools. The clerk still working for him went to a lower-ranked school. I believe he's staying (for now) in part because he is concerned about whether other opportunities will be available to him.


He may also think Kozinski's scandal will help him get a Thomas clerkship.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325878
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:05 pm

I'm actually given to understand that Thomas never hires from Kozinski FWIW.

User avatar
beepboopbeep

Silver
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby beepboopbeep » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:33 pm

You got whooshed, second anon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Hill

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7712
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby lavarman84 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:in some ways this is the best punishment we were likely to get for him, lol. Make him do all that work himself


Word on the street (I was the anon above that first reported them quitting) is that he is called senior associates and former clerks looking for immediate help. Hard to imagine it will be too successful as that group has little to gain. Have been trying to get the scoop on why 3 left and not 4, no avail.


CA9 clerk here. The three clerks that packed up and left went to T10 law schools. The clerk still working for him went to a lower-ranked school. I believe he's staying (for now) in part because he is concerned about whether other opportunities will be available to him.


If you can get a Kozinski clerkship, I think you'll have options. My guess is that the clerk is the sort of striver who gets a Kozinski clerkship from a lower-ranked school and views it from the perspective of, "If I stick by Judge when everyone else bails, he's going to love me for it and go out of his way to back me for whatever gig I want." The person also is probably rationalizing it in the way Nony described, "Well, I didn't see anything bad, and it hasn't happened to me."

User avatar
AOT

Gold
Posts: 1668
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby AOT » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:51 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:in some ways this is the best punishment we were likely to get for him, lol. Make him do all that work himself


Word on the street (I was the anon above that first reported them quitting) is that he is called senior associates and former clerks looking for immediate help. Hard to imagine it will be too successful as that group has little to gain. Have been trying to get the scoop on why 3 left and not 4, no avail.


CA9 clerk here. The three clerks that packed up and left went to T10 law schools. The clerk still working for him went to a lower-ranked school. I believe he's staying (for now) in part because he is concerned about whether other opportunities will be available to him.


If you can get a Kozinski clerkship, I think you'll have options. My guess is that the clerk is the sort of striver who gets a Kozinski clerkship from a lower-ranked school and views it from the perspective of, "If I stick by Judge when everyone else bails, he's going to love me for it and go out of his way to back me for whatever gig I want." The person also is probably rationalizing it in the way Nony described, "Well, I didn't see anything bad, and it hasn't happened to me."


I don't think this is particularly fair. We have no idea who this is or what their personal situation is.

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7712
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby lavarman84 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:56 pm

AOT wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:in some ways this is the best punishment we were likely to get for him, lol. Make him do all that work himself


Word on the street (I was the anon above that first reported them quitting) is that he is called senior associates and former clerks looking for immediate help. Hard to imagine it will be too successful as that group has little to gain. Have been trying to get the scoop on why 3 left and not 4, no avail.


CA9 clerk here. The three clerks that packed up and left went to T10 law schools. The clerk still working for him went to a lower-ranked school. I believe he's staying (for now) in part because he is concerned about whether other opportunities will be available to him.


If you can get a Kozinski clerkship, I think you'll have options. My guess is that the clerk is the sort of striver who gets a Kozinski clerkship from a lower-ranked school and views it from the perspective of, "If I stick by Judge when everyone else bails, he's going to love me for it and go out of his way to back me for whatever gig I want." The person also is probably rationalizing it in the way Nony described, "Well, I didn't see anything bad, and it hasn't happened to me."


I don't think this is particularly fair. We have no idea who this is or what their personal situation is.


I'm not saying they're doing anything wrong. They're making a personal choice.

User avatar
AOT

Gold
Posts: 1668
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby AOT » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:58 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
AOT wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
If you can get a Kozinski clerkship, I think you'll have options. My guess is that the clerk is the sort of striver who gets a Kozinski clerkship from a lower-ranked school and views it from the perspective of, "If I stick by Judge when everyone else bails, he's going to love me for it and go out of his way to back me for whatever gig I want." The person also is probably rationalizing it in the way Nony described, "Well, I didn't see anything bad, and it hasn't happened to me."


I don't think this is particularly fair. We have no idea who this is or what their personal situation is.


I'm not saying they're doing anything wrong. They're making a personal choice.


If this person happens to read this I imagine they might feel pretty shitty about being called a striver and an apologist

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7712
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby lavarman84 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:00 pm

AOT wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
AOT wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
If you can get a Kozinski clerkship, I think you'll have options. My guess is that the clerk is the sort of striver who gets a Kozinski clerkship from a lower-ranked school and views it from the perspective of, "If I stick by Judge when everyone else bails, he's going to love me for it and go out of his way to back me for whatever gig I want." The person also is probably rationalizing it in the way Nony described, "Well, I didn't see anything bad, and it hasn't happened to me."


I don't think this is particularly fair. We have no idea who this is or what their personal situation is.


I'm not saying they're doing anything wrong. They're making a personal choice.


If this person happens to read this I imagine they might feel pretty shitty about being called a striver and an apologist


If you're a Kozinski clerk, you're a guaranteed striver. I'm sure that person is well aware of that. I'm not insulting them. If I were in their shoes, I don't know if I'd do it differently.

ernie

Bronze
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:34 am

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby ernie » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:05 pm


User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29312
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:05 pm

@ lavarman - I don't know how, but that at once seems to criticize the person who stayed at the same time as suggesting staying would be reasonable. Impressive.

jd20132013

Silver
Posts: 1381
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby jd20132013 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:22 pm

If the new stories are true (no real reason to think they aren't) how arrogant do you have to be to respond to
The first wave in the dismissive way that he did ?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29312
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:45 pm

Kozinski? Arrogant?

JusticeJackson

Silver
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:26 am

Re: Judges who female or LGBT law clerks should avoid

Postby JusticeJackson » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:42 pm

I think we have no right to judge whether a clerk should stay at the job in the face of allegations against the judge. I grew up in a rough neighborhood, and some of my old friends have been accused of actual crimes (i.e. beyond just being incredibly creepy). My continued contact with someone that’s been accused of burglary isn’t an endorsement of the alleged burglary; I accept my friends notwithstanding their (alleged and unproven) faults and I really don’t think I owe anyone an explanation for my choice to maintain contact with those folks even in light of criminal accusations. In the same way, in my view, there’s nothing wrong with a clerk deciding “this isn’t what I signed on for, but I gave the judge my commitment and I’m going to keep it.”



Return to “Judicial Clerkships?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.