2 yr associate looking to Clerk. Is no LOR from current firm a red flag?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

2 yr associate looking to Clerk. Is no LOR from current firm a red flag?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:30 pm

I'm a second year DC big law associate thinking about applying for clerkships. I don't want to ask any supervisors for LORs because (1) I'm not sure I want to publicize that I'm thinking about leaving and (2) my stats aren't stellar so there's a good chance I don't get anything, thus I could be at the firm for awhile and I'd prefer not to be known as the guy who had people writing letters and signing up for Oscar accounts only to get nothing.

For anyone with knowledge about clerkship hiring, would this be a red flag that my LORs are coming from law school professors, past internship supervisors, or pre-law school jobs (consultant for 1.5 years before law school)?

I do list a current firm partner as one of my 4 references.

thanks!

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: 2 yr associate looking to Clerk. Is no LOR from current firm a red flag?

Postby rpupkin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:34 pm

It's not a red flag.

clerk1251

Bronze

Re: 2 yr associate looking to Clerk. Is no LOR from current firm a red flag?

Postby clerk1251 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:52 pm

Not only is it not a red flag, it's pretty common. Mainly for the first reason you articulated as opposed to your second. That being said, if all you have is letters from professors, your application will not be as strong as if you have at least one letter from some sort of practitioner that supervised you in some capacity. Perhaps you can get a letter from someone at a summer internship or clinic you might have worked at. If not, it's not that big a deal, but it will help. Your firm experience will be helpful in your clerkship search.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�