When to apply

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
whijo

New

When to apply

Postby whijo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:44 pm

Current 1L top 1% at T6.

Obviously, its too soon to say, so I'm focused on getting good grades 2nd semester. If I don't, this question doesn't matter.

However, if I do- should I look to apply in Summer 2017 for a feeder judge? Or wait for Fall 2017 grades? The reason I ask is just so I know and can plan ahead accordingly.

Will have good letters of rec from good professors (who will make calls).

I came to LS w/o any expectation of clerking but I really want to, and obviously my current grade+school rank opens doors (assuming it stays approximately the same, or even goes down slightly).

Goldie

Bronze

Re: When to apply

Postby Goldie » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:43 pm

Assuming you want to clerk right after graduation, then absolutely this summer rather after Fall 2017 grades, if not even now. Many of the feeder judges have already hired at least some of their clerks for the 2019 terms, and top students at top schools sometimes get feeder clerkships from just their first semester. You should definitely talk to your career office and/or some professors for more personalized details.

clerk1251

Bronze

Postby clerk1251 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:24 am

Almost all judges have a policy of not reviewing applications till you have three semesters of grades. That being said, there are some exceptions. Check on OSCAR for the judge's you wish to apply to, to see if they have any requirements. Also, as the poster above said, you should talk to your clerkship office. They likely have relationships with a number of judges, as they have probably placed numerous candidates, which might allow you to apply sooner rather than later.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:45 am

Goldie wrote:Assuming you want to clerk right after graduation, then absolutely this summer rather after Fall 2017 grades, if not even now. Many of the feeder judges have already hired at least some of their clerks for the 2019 terms, and top students at top schools sometimes get feeder clerkships from just their first semester. You should definitely talk to your career office and/or some professors for more personalized details.

I agree that applications need to go out this summer once 2nd semester grades come out. However, the second sentence is not really true. With a couple of exceptions, most of what I would call the feeders have not hired anyone yet for that term. While I have heard that occurred before the hiring act, I doubt there is anyone who has actually landed a feeder clerkship after first semester in recent memory. I know the two people who were hired as the first clerks in the country for the last two years. They were absolutely fantastic students at HYS with gleaming credentials (and both also had extremely powerful familial connections- think children of senators and feeder judges). They were both hired in the early summer, though it was true that grades had not come out yet. There are about six judges who move really early, and they hire in late May, early June.

Went anonymous since I know one of those students browses this forum and knows my username.

Mullens

Silver

Postby Mullens » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:17 pm

clerk1251 wrote:Almost all judges have a policy of not reviewing applications till you have three semesters of grades. That being said, there are some exceptions. Check on OSCAR for the judge's you wish to apply to, to see if they have any requirements. Also, as the poster above said, you should talk to your clerkship office. They likely have relationships with a number of judges, as they have probably placed numerous candidates, which might allow you to apply sooner rather than later.

At the level of clerkships we're talking here, this is very very wrong. Most feeders are hiring in the summer now (before OCI) and very few wait for 3 semesters of grades.

Goldie

Bronze

Postby Goldie » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Goldie wrote:Assuming you want to clerk right after graduation, then absolutely this summer rather after Fall 2017 grades, if not even now. Many of the feeder judges have already hired at least some of their clerks for the 2019 terms, and top students at top schools sometimes get feeder clerkships from just their first semester. You should definitely talk to your career office and/or some professors for more personalized details.

I agree that applications need to go out this summer once 2nd semester grades come out. However, the second sentence is not really true. With a couple of exceptions, most of what I would call the feeders have not hired anyone yet for that term. While I have heard that occurred before the hiring act, I doubt there is anyone who has actually landed a feeder clerkship after first semester in recent memory. I know the two people who were hired as the first clerks in the country for the last two years. They were absolutely fantastic students at HYS with gleaming credentials (and both also had extremely powerful familial connections- think children of senators and feeder judges). They were both hired in the early summer, though it was true that grades had not come out yet. There are about six judges who move really early, and they hire in late May, early June.

Went anonymous since I know one of those students browses this forum and knows my username.

Several of the D.C. Circuit judges, for example, have at least started hiring for 2019, with at least one entirely full and one that has only one spot left (that judge hired 3 2019 clerks back in like July). The same is true of some non-DC Circuit feeder judges. And I know a HYS student who did have a feeder clerkship after first semester last year. I realize most judges are waiting until summer after 1L, but some of these very top judges are hiring far in advance and OP should at least start planning their application strategy now.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�