Credit for D Ct. --> COA ?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Credit for D Ct. --> COA ?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:19 pm

if you do a district court clerkship immediately followed by COA clerkship, do you enter a law firm as a 2nd or 3rd year? Is there a "market" credit level (like for salary/bonuses), or do firms vary in regards to the seniority the give for 2 federal clerkships?

Thanks for any info!
'

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Credit for D Ct. --> COA ?

Postby rpupkin » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:41 pm

Most big law firms and elite lit boutiques will give you two years of credit—i.e., you would start at the firm as a third-year associate. I've heard tales of some big law firms giving only one year of credit for two years of clerking, but those firms are usually less litigation-oriented, so you probably wouldn't want to work at those places anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:04 pm

Interesting. I thought starting as a 2nd year would be standard... does this vary by market?

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interesting. I thought starting as a 2nd year would be standard... does this vary by market?

I don't think so. Getting two years of credit (for one district court and one COA) is fairly standard in all major markets.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:54 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interesting. I thought starting as a 2nd year would be standard... does this vary by market?

I don't think so. Getting two years of credit (for one district court and one COA) is fairly standard in all major markets.

I heard from a top firm in DC that they sometimes give two years of credit, but it depends (I think on who the judges are and what practice area you're going into). The concern seems to be that third years are expected to supervise, and someone coming in with only clerkship experience might not be able to do so effectively.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:45 pm

But ostensibly they're billing you out as a 3rd year to clients, right? So paying you as a 2nd year is a way for partners to take an even higher percentage of your billable rate...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

I heard from a top firm in DC that they sometimes give two years of credit, but it depends (I think on who the judges are and what practice area you're going into). The concern seems to be that third years are expected to supervise, and someone coming in with only clerkship experience might not be able to do so effectively.

As a former summer at a V10 law firm in a non-NYC major market with a large litigation department, this was what I was told--one year credit for a D. Ct. and COA clerkship. Higher bonus (60-70k) but still coming in a second year. The reason I was given is what the above poster said--clerkships don't give you a chance to supervise as expected of third years.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a former summer at a V10 law firm in a non-NYC major market with a large litigation department, this was what I was told--one year credit for a D. Ct. and COA clerkship. Higher bonus (60-70k) but still coming in a second year. The reason I was given is what the above poster said--clerkships don't give you a chance to supervise as expected of third years.

That is pretty TTT. Most of the top litigation shops (hint: many V10 offices aren't particularly strong in litigation and don't attract the best associate talent) will give you two years of credit. The difference between going in as a second-year and a third-year associate is $50K of salary between base and bonus. Accepting only one year of credit for two years of clerking is tantamount to giving up your clerkship bonus.

quiver

Silver

Postby quiver » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:20 pm

At my former NYC V10, I believe they give 2 years of salary credit, but only 1 year of class credit (with the full 2-clerkship bonus). So you'd get paid as a 3rd year but only be a true 2nd year.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�