New Judges

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

New Judges

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:42 pm

When will Trump start getting lower court judges through? And how do new judges normally fill their clerk positions?

This could open up a whole bunch of options for 17-18 for people without clerkships right now.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Re: New Judges

Postby Winter is Coming » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:57 pm

You realize how Article 3 judgeships work right?

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:10 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:You realize how Article 3 judgeships work right?

OP shouldn't make duplicative threads, but I don't understand this post.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:28 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:You realize how Article 3 judgeships work right?

What are you talking about?

POTUS nominates, senate confirms, new judge needs clerks.. what am I missing here?

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:20 pm

First of all, no one is getting nominated until Gorsuch is confirmed. Which could take months. I strongly doubt lower court judges will start being confirmed until at least July of this year.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Postby Winter is Coming » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:28 pm

Sorry for the snark, but the answer to your question is the poster right above me here.

http://www.uscourts.gov/judges-judgeshi ... -vacancies

These are the vacancies.

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:41 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:First of all, no one is getting nominated until Gorsuch is confirmed. Which could take months. I strongly doubt lower court judges will start being confirmed until at least July of this year.

All of these comments are confusing me. Even if what you said is true, how does that negate anything in OP's post? I would assume those judges would need clerks by, at least, the end of the year (once again, assuming that lower court judges won't start getting confirmed until July).
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:43 pm

runinthefront wrote:
FascinatedWanderer wrote:First of all, no one is getting nominated until Gorsuch is confirmed. Which could take months. I strongly doubt lower court judges will start being confirmed until at least July of this year.

All of these comments are confusing me. Even if what you said is true, how does that negate anything in OP's post? I would assume those judges would need clerks by, at least, the end of the year (once again, assuming that lower court judges won't start getting confirmed until July). So much unnecessary snark in this (and the other duplicative) thread.

I wonder if these new judges (whenever they're confirmed) will want to hire fresh law grads, or seek attorneys/experienced clerks to fill their chambers?

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:52 pm

I applied to a lot of Obama appointees and noticed that (1) those who were (current) law partners usually brought associates on as clerks during their first year; and (2) those who were former state-court judges brought on either current or ex-clerks with them during their first year.

If I were a judge, I'd probably want to hire people I knew and/or former clerks, but I suppose it all depends on the judge

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:31 pm

runinthefront wrote:I applied to a lot of Obama appointees and noticed that (1) those who were (current) law partners usually brought associates on as clerks during their first year; and (2) those who were former state-court judges brought on either current or ex-clerks with them during their first year.

If I were a judge, I'd probably want to hire people I knew and/or former clerks, but I suppose it all depends on the judge

I had a classmate who clerked for a newly appointed judge. He was originally supposed to clerk starting in 20XX but ended up getting pushed to 20XX + 1 or 2 because, on the road to getting confirmed, the judge had gotten assistance from a lot of people that he felt he had to give back to (not a quid pro quo so much as a moral obligation). I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of judges come to the bench with some favors to "repay."

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�