Upcoming federal judge nominations

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 327403
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:09 pm

Currently 116 vacancies in the federal judiciary.. with GOP controlling White House and Senate, I assume there will be a significant number of new judges soon..

Anyone think this could result in a flood of new clerkship positions on OSCAR?

Npret

Gold
Posts: 1521
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby Npret » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Currently 116 vacancies in the federal judiciary.. with GOP controlling White House and Senate, I assume there will be a significant number of new judges soon..

Anyone think this could result in a flood of new clerkship positions on OSCAR?


Why do you assume this? I thought there was a freeze and an order to decrease federal employment by attrition?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327403
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:21 pm

Npret wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Currently 116 vacancies in the federal judiciary.. with GOP controlling White House and Senate, I assume there will be a significant number of new judges soon..

Anyone think this could result in a flood of new clerkship positions on OSCAR?


Why do you assume this? I thought there was a freeze and an order to decrease federal employment by attrition?


You understand that EOs only apply to the executive branch right?

User avatar
mjb447

Silver
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby mjb447 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Npret wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Currently 116 vacancies in the federal judiciary.. with GOP controlling White House and Senate, I assume there will be a significant number of new judges soon..

Anyone think this could result in a flood of new clerkship positions on OSCAR?


Why do you assume this? I thought there was a freeze and an order to decrease federal employment by attrition?


You understand that EOs only apply to the executive branch right?

Even if it applied to judiciary employees generally, there's no way it would apply to Art. III judge positions.

runinthefront

Gold
Posts: 2151
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby runinthefront » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:53 pm

Which is why 0Ls should probably refrain from posting in the "Judicial Clerkships" forum
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29306
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:23 pm

Pretty sure I know who Npret is and he's not a 0L. I'm presuming brain fart.

john_brown

New
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:34 pm

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby john_brown » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:45 am

Plenty of vacancies in Texas, but that means you will clerk for somebody who earned the approval of Ted Cruz...

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7726
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby lavarman84 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:14 am

john_brown wrote:Plenty of vacancies in Texas, but that means you will clerk for somebody who earned the approval of Ted Cruz...


That is also true of some judges whom Obama appointed.

Npret

Gold
Posts: 1521
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby Npret » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:16 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Pretty sure I know who Npret is and he's not a 0L. I'm presuming brain fart.

Yep. Not thinking. My bad.
My idea was that assuming new judges would be hired was possibly faulty is the idea is to keep the fed workforce down.

Hale87

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:00 pm

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby Hale87 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:40 pm

Bump. Any idea when the first round of lower court nominations will occur?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327403
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:14 pm

Names are being considered for the CA5 vacancies. I assume the CA10 vacancy arising from Gorsuch will start to get consideration at the end of this year maybe.

wwwcol

Bronze
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:57 am

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby wwwcol » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Names are being considered for the CA5 vacancies. I assume the CA10 vacancy arising from Gorsuch will start to get consideration at the end of this year maybe.


The judiciary recommended that congress not fill gorsuch's seat, fyi

Anonymous User
Posts: 327403
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:38 pm

I hope you're right with the Gorsuch point, but I am inclined to disagree. More generally, there are d.ct. judges around the country who are now sitting in designation because of COA vacancies. The 3d Cir. for example has had a few vacancies for a while now, and I think is about to get another with another retirement coming. Obama didn't fill these vacancies (likely because he couldn't) and Trump is extremely slow to confirm various administrative/bureaucratic positions across the government. So, just because a SCOTUS confirmation leaves an COA position open does not mean anything insofar as when a new COA nomination occurs. But hey, here's to hoping. It'd be great if he forced 115 more people to consider us on Oscar...

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:12 pm

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:50 pm

wwwcol wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Names are being considered for the CA5 vacancies. I assume the CA10 vacancy arising from Gorsuch will start to get consideration at the end of this year maybe.


The judiciary recommended that congress not fill gorsuch's seat, fyi


What is your source for this? I find this highly unlikely since the judicial conference just recommended 5 additional circuit seats be created (all in the 9th, but clearly all circuits are overworked).

Anonymous User
Posts: 327403
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I hope you're right with the Gorsuch point, but I am inclined to disagree. More generally, there are d.ct. judges around the country who are now sitting in designation because of COA vacancies. The 3d Cir. for example has had a few vacancies for a while now, and I think is about to get another with another retirement coming. Obama didn't fill these vacancies (likely because he couldn't) and Trump is extremely slow to confirm various administrative/bureaucratic positions across the government. So, just because a SCOTUS confirmation leaves an COA position open does not mean anything insofar as when a new COA nomination occurs. But hey, here's to hoping. It'd be great if he forced 115 more people to consider us on Oscar...


Haha I don't have skin in this game anymore (except maybe one of my judges might be a strong contender for a CA10 seat) but I know how painful the process is so I feel sympathy for anyone still in the hunt.

User avatar
polareagle

Bronze
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby polareagle » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:52 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Names are being considered for the CA5 vacancies. I assume the CA10 vacancy arising from Gorsuch will start to get consideration at the end of this year maybe.


The judiciary recommended that congress not fill gorsuch's seat, fyi


What is your source for this? I find this highly unlikely since the judicial conference just recommended 5 additional circuit seats be created (all in the 9th, but clearly all circuits are overworked).


I don't think that's clear at all.

Data from hereand here

Circuit # of Cases filed (2013) # of Judgeships (2016) Cases/Judgeship
1 1555 6 259
2 5200 13 400
3 3694 14 264
4 5076 15 338
5 7534 17 443
6 5019 16 314
7 2943 11 268
8 3029 11 275
9 12593 29 434
10 2123 12 177
11 6546 12 546
DC 1141 11 104

The 10th Circuit has the same number of judgeships as the 11th. Yet it has less than 1/3 the number of cases. The only circuit moving fewer cases per judge than the 10th is the DC Circuit, but I think there's a strong argument that their cases are more complex and take a longer period of time. There's no need for the 10th to have so many. Send some of those judgeships to the 11th and maybe the 5th or 9th.

wwwcol

Bronze
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:57 am

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby wwwcol » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:45 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Names are being considered for the CA5 vacancies. I assume the CA10 vacancy arising from Gorsuch will start to get consideration at the end of this year maybe.


The judiciary recommended that congress not fill gorsuch's seat, fyi


What is your source for this? I find this highly unlikely since the judicial conference just recommended 5 additional circuit seats be created (all in the 9th, but clearly all circuits are overworked).


http://www.uscourts.gov/news/2017/03/14 ... judgeships

" In addition, the Judicial Conference also agreed to recommend to Congress and the President that they not fill the next judgeship vacancy on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit...based on consistently low filings"

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:12 pm

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:48 pm

Very interesting. Thanks.

User avatar
mjb447

Silver
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby mjb447 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:34 pm

Interesting. I wonder if that'll change as senior judges go inactive.

clerk1251

Bronze
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:35 am

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby clerk1251 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:19 am

Hale87 wrote:Bump. Any idea when the first round of lower court nominations will occur?


No lower court judicial nomination will be considered until SCOTUS vacancy has been filled - so you've got a little while to wait. After Gorsuch is confirmed, I imagine there will be a flood of nominations and confirmations.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327403
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:57 pm

just dreaming here, but is it possible for my DC judge to become a COA judge prior to my term ending? I assume that means he/she will take me with him/her right?

wwwcol

Bronze
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:57 am

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby wwwcol » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:just dreaming here, but is it possible for my DC judge to become a COA judge prior to my term ending? I assume that means he/she will take me with him/her right?


What we need to answer this question:
1) knowledge about what term you're clerking
2) knowledge about who you're clerking for
3) knowledge about the likelihood your judge will be nominated (unless your judge is Thapar)
4) knowledge about whether and when the senate will confirm the judge

This isn't a complete list. There's probably more we need to know to answer your question intelligently

RaceJudicata

Gold
Posts: 1727
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:08 pm

wwwcol wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:just dreaming here, but is it possible for my DC judge to become a COA judge prior to my term ending? I assume that means he/she will take me with him/her right?


What we need to answer this question:
1) knowledge about what term you're clerking
2) knowledge about who you're clerking for
3) knowledge about the likelihood your judge will be nominated (unless your judge is Thapar)
4) knowledge about whether and when the senate will confirm the judge

This isn't a complete list. There's probably more we need to know to answer your question intelligently


Thapar nomination (or forthcoming nomination) might have messed up some scotus clerk unicorns. COA --> COA --> SC seems less likely than COA --> D.ct (Thapar) (or vice versa) --> SC.

EDIT: will only screw up those folks who have both clerkships set.
Last edited by RaceJudicata on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pure Applesauce

Bronze
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:30 pm

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby Pure Applesauce » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:09 pm

.
Last edited by Pure Applesauce on Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:12 pm

Re: Upcoming federal judge nominations

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:07 pm

Faster than I expected.

I wouldn't be surprised if Heritage and FedSoc make trump ignore the conference and nominate someone to CA10 anyway. Probably Eid, maybe Lee.



Return to “Judicial Clerkships�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.