. Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:03 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Family emergency - need to leave clerkship but afraid of career damage

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:11 pm

You should talk to your judge about the situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:17 pm

rpupkin wrote:You should talk to your judge about the situation.
He understands; he's not unhappy, but he's not overly-supportive either.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:25 pm

Are there big law jobs where your family is?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry to hear this. Here is my take:

I wouldn't leave a federal or state job right now. Don't make any rash decisions. If you've never had a job near where they live it could be difficult. Leaving after a month is a problem for whatever reason and totally fucks over your judge.

Do you have stellar credentials? Great experience? Is it an extremely insular location? Are you even licensed to practice there?

If you say you are moving because a parent is ill, it can make it seem that 1) you aren't dedicated to that area, because you haven't worked there and 2) you are going to be preoccupied with family stuff over your career. It isn't a benefit for interviews.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:41 pm

To rpup: yes, there are biglaw jobs there.
Npret wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I wouldn't leave a federal or state job right now. Don't make any rash decisions. If you've never had a job near where they live it could be difficult. Leaving after a month is a problem for whatever reason and totally fucks over your judge.

Do you have stellar credentials? Great experience? Is it an extremely insular location? Are you even licensed to practice there?

If you say you are moving because a parent is ill, it can make it seem that 1) you aren't dedicated to that area, because you haven't worked there and 2) you are going to be preoccupied with family stuff over your career. It isn't a benefit for interviews.
I hate to say this, but this isn't a rash decision. I haven't been out on the work force very long, but I am barred in the state my family lives. I told my judge I am willing to stay another month, making it a total of 2 months. I realize that doesn't make much of a difference, but it gives him a chance to hire someone else.

My credentials are decent, and I have okay experience. The location is close enough to a biglaw market that I can drive back and forth. What should I say that isn't about family that will allow me to stay in the area?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To rpup: yes, there are biglaw jobs there.
Okay. If you're set on moving to be closer to your parents, then apply for jobs immediately.

You should tell the law firms why you're looking to move there--i.e., because you need to care for a sick parent. No, it's not going to make you seem like a more attractive candidate, but (a) it's the truth, and (b) you do need to provide an explanation for why you're leaving your clerkship after a month or two.

Depending on how hot the litigation market is in the region, you may have a difficult time finding a job. If you're going to do this (and I fully understand and respect why you feel that you must do this), understand that there's a significant risk of long-term career damage--especially in big law.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To rpup: yes, there are biglaw jobs there.
Npret wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I hate to say this, but this isn't a rash decision. I haven't been out on the work force very long, but I am barred in the state my family lives. I told my judge I am willing to stay another month, making it a total of 2 months. I realize that doesn't make much of a difference, but it gives him a chance to hire someone else.

My credentials are decent, and I have okay experience. The location is close enough to a biglaw market that I can drive back and forth. What should I say that isn't about family that will allow me to stay in the area?
Ok. Again, I'm very sorry you are dealing with this situation.

You should be truthful because you need a good reason for why you are moving. I would also emphasize whatever else is in the area that brings you there. Because you are barred there you can say you intended to move back after your clerkship and this just moved your dates up.

You probably know this but keep personal facts of the situation to a minimum in interviews and focus on your fit and commitment to the job. Not everyone is an ass like me and will wonder how much a sick parent is going to keep you out of the office or how focused you will be on work.

I wouldn't explain much about it other than to say that living across the country was simply too far away, you were planning on moving back anyway and made the difficult decision to leave your clerkship early due to your parent unexpectedly being ill.

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:09 am

Did you leave your firm on good terms? Were they supportive of you going to clerk? Did they like you, when you were there?

Best case scenario, in my opinion, would you reaching out to your firm and finding out if you can come back. See if they have an office where your family lives, and see if they will let you work there for the time being. If not, see if they will just let you work remote most of the time and fly in on occasion whenever you are needed. If you've only been gone a month, I don't see them having any issues as they likely haven't even filled your spot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”