Timeline for non-citizens applying ahead?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Timeline for non-citizens applying ahead?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:25 pm

I am asking for a friend who is an international JD student who has a stellar academic record.

If an applicant is in the process of adjusting his status (marrying a US citizen husband) and will take approximately 6 months, can the applicant apply now for a clerkship starting at some point after that? She would have her papers ready before her starting date. I am not sure how long the background and employment eligibility verification takes, but Will judges be okay with that?

Anonymous User

Re: Timeline for non-citizens applying ahead?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:09 pm

I only have personal experience, but I'm going to go ahead and say that it is probably entirely judge-dependent.

I had the same concerns when I applied for a clerkship - though I was applying 2 years ahead of my start date. The judge I will be clerking for told me that he was fine with my not meeting the residency requirement at the time of the interview, as long as I would meet it at the time of starting my clerkship. However, that was after I explained to him what the requirements were, because he was only vaguely aware of them. It is possible that some judges don't even bother / don't know, and will simply refuse to consider applicants that are not already legal permanent residents/citizens.

BTW it's worth noting that if your friend marries a US citizen and becomes a LPR, she will have to sign a document certifying that she is seeking to obtain citizenship and will apply for it as soon as allowable (i.e. she doesn't plan to be on a green card forever. Usually spouses of US citizens can apply for citizenship after 1.5 years as LPRs, so she'd have to apply then). Wasn't a problem for me, but I know plenty of green card holders who don't want to become citizens.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�