General Writing Sample Questions Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JackOfAllTrades

New

General Writing Sample Questions

Post by JackOfAllTrades » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:01 am

Hi everyone,

A few quick questions:

1. My understanding is that most COAs require 14pt font for briefs. I have a writing sample that is an amicus brief. Should I keep it in 14pt font? Changing it to 12pt font makes it like 3 pages shorter.

2. Is it a good idea to submit one shorter writing sample (5-10 pages) and one longer writing sample (10-15 pages)? Or should you stick with one?

Thank you!

mjb447

Silver

Re: General Writing Sample Questions

Post by mjb447 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:13 am

1. The font size is fine as is.

2. Submit at least what the judge requests, and submit your strongest writing. If you're certain the two samples are equally strong, there's usually no harm in submitting both. If not (almost always the case in my experience), submit only the best one unless two samples are requested. All that said, for judges who don't request two samples, two samples generally aren't much more effective than one.

JackOfAllTrades

New

Re: General Writing Sample Questions

Post by JackOfAllTrades » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:19 pm

mjb447 wrote:1. The font size is fine as is.

2. Submit at least what the judge requests, and submit your strongest writing. If you're certain the two samples are equally strong, there's usually no harm in submitting both. If not (almost always the case in my experience), submit only the best one unless two samples are requested. All that said, for judges who don't request two samples, two samples generally aren't much more effective than one.

thanks!!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”