Can't decide between clerkships...

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

Which one to choose?

SDNY
29%
9th Cir.
71%

Total votes: 41

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Can't decide between clerkships...

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:28 pm

Prestige is contextual. I know employers who favor district court clerkships over COA because they want people who understand trial, and don't just sit at a computer writing. (And of course others will favor COA, but I think what you want to do is more important than prestige in a vacuum.)

Anonymous User

Re: Can't decide between clerkships...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:54 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:My advice may be coming in too late but I would take the COA over SDNY for two reasons. First, the lower COL would be a big factor for me. Although, one of my profs clerked for SDNY and he told me he lived in Connecticut and took a train in everyday so his COL was substantially lower. Though the trade-off is having to spend 3 to 4 hours commuting everyday which would absolutely suck. Second, while a SDNY clerkship is very prestigious, I think the COA clerkship is more prestigious.

Curious what OP decides. Congratulations on finding yourself in such a "difficult" position. I'm sure either will be a great experience that will open many doors for you down the road.

Even within the extremely neurotic realm of prestige within federal clerkships, you really can't say 9th circuit is more prestigious as a rule than SDNY. Clerking for a Reinhardt or Kozinski is one thing (and that would be the very obvious choice if OP had that offer); clerking for e.g. Kleinfeld is not more prestigious in the abstract sense than, say, Judge Furman or Koeltl or Kimba Wood.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�