Etiquette with respect to updating about another interview?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
esther0123

Bronze

Etiquette with respect to updating about another interview?

Postby esther0123 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:32 pm

What's the proper way to update a judge, who has yet to make a decision post-interview, about another upcoming interview?

clerk1251

Bronze

Re: Etiquette with respect to updating about another interview?

Postby clerk1251 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:39 pm

Generally, either a phone call to chambers or an email if you've been corresponding with them via email would suffice.

All you really need to do is mention that you have an upcoming interview with Judge xyz in the xyz District/Circuit and that you wanted to inquire as to if Judge [the one you already interviewed with] had made any decisions yet.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:45 pm

Yeah, a phone call or email is fine. Hard to go wrong with this one.

esther0123

Bronze

Postby esther0123 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:58 pm

Perfect thanks! I just didn't want to come across like I'm pressuring the judge!

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:05 pm

esther0123 wrote:Perfect thanks! I just didn't want to come across like I'm pressuring the judge!

Don't worry about it; this is a pretty normal thing to do. If the judge isn't ready to make a decision when you call, the judge will just tell you to go on your upcoming interview and will decide when s/he's ready if you haven't withdrawn by then.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�